Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello all,
I know nothing about payload because I’d just borrow my buddies F150 and load it up. I am looking for guidance here. Going by the rumors it’s expected that the Maverick have a 900lb payload capacity and roughly 2,000lb towing capability. Can someone break down those numbers into real world examples. For instance; 900lb payload can hold an equivalent to 500lbs in passengers and 400lbs of extra cargo in the bed. Correct? Hopefully I’m making sense....
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

Keynotes13

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Payload is the difference between Gross Vehicle Weight and the dry weight of the vehicle. So you can essentially add 900lbs (if we go with your example) to a dry unladen vehicle until it maxes out the strength of the vehicle (with a safety margin and everything of course).
But that means that everything beyond what is added after it leaves the factory needs to be considered. That includes fuel, passengers, cargo, trailer tongue weight (if towing), mods like racks or topper, etc. A lot of people forget the little things, which by themselves isn't bad, but a bunch of little things can quickly get to like 100-200lbs, which eats into 900lbs pretty quick.

So yeah, you've got a pretty good idea of it.
Awesome detail thank you

Reactions: Doc

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the Maverick has only 900 lbs of payload, that will be very disappointing. As the1mrb mentioned, that includes passengers and fluids, so with a tank of gas (100lbs for 15 gallon) and four passengers (600 lbs at 150lbs per person) it would only have a 200lb payload (and that's forgetting all the little things). The Escape has a 1082lb payload and the Transit Connect has notably higher, so I hope that the Maverick would too.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am also curious about towing capacity as thats one of my biggest concerns. I think an upgraded Escape will tow 3500 lbs so would hope the new Maverick will have similar towing capacity.
Sponsored