Sponsored

Paint Protection Film vs Ceramic Coating?

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
For those that will be running right out to protect your Mav's paint straight from the dealerships, which route are you taking?
I'm leaning towards PPF but I have two primary concerns:
1. I live in rock chip country and PPF seems way better at protecting against that.
2. After dealing with Ford's TERRIBLE paint quality on my current vehicle (along with oh, so many other folks)? I know it's unlikely to happen again, but once bitten twice shy. I'd like to try and keep the factory paint on my vehicle for AT LEAST 4 years before it starts peeling off. Even if that means "sealing it on" with film, haha.

Any thoughts on which of these would be better at helping with #2 up there? Pic on mine below (excuse my filthy car) and link to known problem thread for reference:

https://www.fordescape.org/threads/paint-chipping-flaking-off-pillar.111862/

Ford Maverick Paint Protection Film vs Ceramic Coating? IMG_8737cro
Sponsored

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I might do a ceramic coating. Then, I will likely use graphene/ceramic wax (Turtle Wax), already bought this. Hopefully maintain with same type of spray bottle graphene/ceramic maybe every other week.
I was thinking of doing inside upholstery with some sort of protection. I need to research the available products for that first. Open to suggestions.​

Sam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade 2015
thats a 2017? What has the dealer said? I’ve had hondas and jeep for tenyears and seen no deterioration. I wash it monthly and wax it with Macquires technowax about three times a year. I have had it in full sun florida, use it for fishing near salt water. This is really dissappointing.

OP
OP

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
thats a 2017? What has the dealer said? I’ve had hondas and jeep for tenyears and seen no deterioration. I wash it monthly and wax it with Macquires technowax about three times a year. I have had it in full sun florida, use it for fishing near salt water. This is really dissappointing.
Yep, 2017 with about 42k miles and no wrecks/damage. OTOH, my decades old Corvette still has damn near perfect, original factory paint.

I haven't reached out to them yet but when I do I'm sure I'll get the same answer that almost every other person in my shoes has gotten from both dealers and Ford since 2019 on this issue:

"Go pound sand, you're over 3 years/36k miles".

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I might do a ceramic coating. Then, I will likely use graphene/ceramic wax (Turtle Wax), already bought this. Hopefully maintain with same type of spray bottle graphene/ceramic maybe every other week.
I was thinking of doing inside upholstery with some sort of protection. I need to research the available products for that first. Open to suggestions.​
3M Scotchgard

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Posted this in another thread a few days ago:

Here's my advice on ceramic coatings. People get upset when I give it, but here it is anyway. I've had 2 kinds of ceramic coating (CQuartz and one other that I can't remember) on my car and I did not find any benefit over a regular hand wash and spray wax. I would advise not spending a lot of money on it. If you are thinking of spending $500+ on ceramic coating alone, I would very highly suggest that you consider paint protection film instead. I've had Xpel on my vehicle for a number of years and it does a fantastic job protecting the finish without getting cloudy or yellowing. Even a partial coverage install will go so much farther than ceramic coating. There are some new do-it-yourself ceramic solutions that probably don't cost so much like the Turtle Wax product which I say would be a better avenue than a professional application.

On my other vehicle my go-to wash is Optimum no-rinse car wash, 2 buckets, Eagle One spray wax, a wash mitt, and some microfiber cloths. No-touch car washes only.

OP
OP

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Protective film after a few years
You sure it was applied by a competent installer? I've seen plenty of PPF cars that have sat out in the AZ sun for a few years that look quite a bit better than that.

Sponsored

Speed2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If the paint flakes off that easy, if you cover it with film, more than likely it will pull the paint off when its time to replace the film(usually about 5-6 years for a daily driver). Suntek film has the least aggressive adhesive so it would be less likely to pull paint than film with a more aggressive adhesive like Xpels' If you do go with PPF, I'd make sure you have a good heavy coat of wax applied first. That will make removal less stressful on the paint

Rr317

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 focus st, 2021 escape, 2022 ford maverick FE
Personally I prefer ceramic coating because of the look, but I can understand the desire for ppf as I also live in Rock chip city. Either way don't get them from the dealer. My dad just bought an 18ft rv and the dealer wanted 2500 to ceramic coat it. I'm doing it for him and only had to spend 150 on what I need for it and it will take 8-10 hours with wash, decon, light paint correction, and coating. The mark ups are insane.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yep, 2017 with about 42k miles and no wrecks/damage. OTOH, my decades old Corvette still has damn near perfect, original factory paint.

I haven't reached out to them yet but when I do I'm sure I'll get the same answer that almost every other person in my shoes has gotten from both dealers and Ford since 2019 on this issue:

"Go pound sand, you're over 3 years/36k miles".
I wonder if you could get it covered under the 5 year corrosion warranty?

OP
OP

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
I wonder if you could get it covered under the 5 year corrosion warranty?
Only if there was rust which caused this, and there isn't.

OP
OP

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
The film was applied at the Ford dealership. See the post regarding the cactus grey that had the film. Looked like a scratch. New Maverick.
Yeah, that makes more sense. Dunno why, but PPF never seemed like a good thing to have the manuf do, I always planned on driving it straight to my local shop from the dealership.

Still though, yours is way worse than I'd ever imagined.o_O
Sponsored