No reverse with open doors...

OperationReciprocity

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 AWD Eco FX4 XLT
I'm sure it's a safety thing, but if your door isn't fully closed, it will say "DOOR AJAR" but will still allow reverse. However, if you attempt to open it to slam it fully closed (as people have done for ever) the truck makes a grinding noise and you'll find your gear automatically goes into park.
Doesn't seem good for the transmission...
Sponsored

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
So let me get this right. I door is ajar and you go into reverse. Moving backwards you open the door to close it fully and the transmission puts itself in park.
First come to a complete stop before opening any doors, people have been killed not abiding by this rule.

Second no it is not good for the transmission.

So questions.. You leave the door ajar and you can reverse with no problem? When does the transmission put itself in park, when you open the door or when you shut the door?

If its when you open the door that is a cool safety feature. Might actually save a few life's, maybe not so many transmissions..

I wonder if it does the same thing going forward??

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sure it's a safety thing, but if your door isn't fully closed, it will say "DOOR AJAR" but will still allow reverse. However, if you attempt to open it to slam it fully closed (as people have done for ever) the truck makes a grinding noise and you'll find your gear automatically goes into park.
Doesn't seem good for the transmission...
Did you have you seatbelt fastened?
If your seatbelt was not fastened this is normal operation for your safety and the safety of those around you.
If your seatbelt was fastened you probably should have your dealer check it out.

Associated page from the owners manual -

Ford Maverick No reverse with open doors... om_1

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
So it will do that going forward.. That is interesting.

OP
OP
OperationReciprocity

OperationReciprocity

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 AWD Eco FX4 XLT
So let me get this right. I door is ajar and you go into reverse. Moving backwards you open the door to close it fully and the transmission puts itself in park.
First come to a complete stop before opening any doors, people have been killed not abiding by this rule.

Second no it is not good for the transmission.

So questions.. You leave the door ajar and you can reverse with no problem? When does the transmission put itself in park, when you open the door or when you shut the door?

If its when you open the door that is a cool safety feature. Might actually save a few life's, maybe not so many transmissions..

I wonder if it does the same thing going forward??
I didn't try it going forward. It'll let you backup with the door ajar. So it knows the door isn't fully closed already. But when you open the door to slam it to close it all the way, that's when it stops. Some people like to look out their drivers door when backing on that side. Seems odd It'll do it with the door half closed, but not if you open it. Just something I observed.
Sponsored