New USPS Trucks should be hybrid

Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 53 Dodge M37
The USPS is going to get 165,000 +/- new gasoline powered trucks. IMO, this would be about the best place for a hybrid, as my Maverick is. Just curious as to what others think.
Sponsored

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This boondoggle is way above my paygrade but the percentage of BEV's should be way more than 10%. With hybrids making up the rest where range is an issue. There's literally no more perfect usecase than USPS for it. Obv there would be a big infrastructure component to get the necessary charging facilities installed but that would be offset by alot of maintenance and fuel savings in the long run. At least they will be convertible to EV in the future apparently. Oshkosh getting more of that sweet gubmint cash tho. Too bad they won't be built in WI.

Dirtball

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Focus Hatch SE;2017 Buick Encore Essence
They obviously don’t hug trees and believe in the Milankovitch cycles…. The $10,000 hammer trick don’t work anymore so they waste money in other ways supporting Ukrainian people by paying more in gasoline, the patriotic thing to do these days. On a serious note, it’s probably due to them needing vehicles now and knowing the hybrid parts are constrained. 🙂

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This boondoggle is way above my paygrade but the percentage of BEV's should be way more than 10%. With hybrids making up the rest where range is an issue. There's literally no more perfect usecase than USPS for it. Obv there would be a big infrastructure component to get the necessary charging facilities installed but that would be offset by alot of maintenance and fuel savings in the long run. At least they will be convertible to EV in the future apparently. Oshkosh getting more of that sweet gubmint cash tho. Too bad they won't be built in WI.
I am a bit concerned about a company that makes overalls for 5 year-olds making hundreds of thousands of very large vehicles too.

demonstraten

First Name
alexia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q3
Yes, it is likely that over time they will begin to develop intensively, but this should be expected only in certain market segments where medium-tonnage delivery cars, light vans, city buses and utility trucks are in demand.

Sponsored

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would agree they should be hybrids, they can be used everywhere then, electric would work only in certain areas, but they should take advantage of both to be the most efficient. I have a family member who drives one of those old bombs that are far past their retirement dates!

deanwinchester

First Name
Olivia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X3
Yes, it is likely that over time they will begin to develop intensively, but this should be expected only in certain market segments where medium-tonnage delivery cars, light vans, city buses and utility trucks are in demand.An important point in the introduction of hybrid technology is the preservation of the payload of the vehicle. After all, the curb weight of a commercial vehicle grows slightly after its main battery is aggregated with an electric transmission and a heavy battery pack associated with it. That's why so far, it's only rumors. It seems to me that they can also install chips on the headlights to track them, like parcels, using https://www.sendungsverfolgungpost.de/de/.
Sponsored