First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been looking for months for the right camping options for my 23 Maverick XLT Hybrid. I considered teardrops and pull-behinds but I knew they would impact mpg. I considered bed tents for the truck but realized what a pain it would be to tear it down in the event I wanted to run to the store or go out to eat, pick up some additional supplies, etc., etc. And as for the overland "roof/bed" mounted tents, they are extremely pricey and in most cases you have to add the rack system which just drives the cost up further. My main objectives were to find a light weight option that prevented me from having to sacrifice mpg, having to pay licensing and insurance and that would also lock me into more pricey campground spots dedicated to RVs and pull-behinds. I also wanted something that could be easily disassembled and the would not take a ton of time to reassemble when my crew and the truck arrived back at the campsite. This is where the Kamp-Rite Double Tent Cot (TB343) comes in. After watching the video below, I decided to give it a shot and I ordered one this evening. Pics and reviews to follow. But, it ticks all the boxes and also doubles as a double chase lounge for two, and can be used on the ground if desired or removed and reinstalled onto the bed easily in case you want to venture out of the campground in the truck.

The link below is for the tent on Amzon.

https://www.amazon.com/Kamp-Rite-Pe...-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Ford Maverick New option / Cheaper than a roof mount - do not buy from this seller 123423_01_720x
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Very nice. I like sleeping up off the ground.

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like a terrific option! Please follow up with another post on lessons learned from your first trip. I would love to know whether the outboard legs need support or not, and whether the collapsed tent will fit on top of the 2x4s with the tonneau closed, so the entire area below could be used for your other camping gear.

sprcoop

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid, 66 Mustang Coupe, 2012 Focus DCT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like a terrific option! Please follow up with another post on lessons learned from your first trip. I would love to know whether the outboard legs need support or not, and whether the collapsed tent will fit on top of the 2x4s with the tonneau closed, so the entire area below could be used for your other camping gear.
It should fit but will be close. Dimensions 55 x 34.4 x 8.1 inches

I just measured and it looks like almost 9" from the top of the 2x4 slot to the bottom of the cross member on my soft roll up cover.

Waiting for actual answer.

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have been looking for months for the right camping options for my 23 Maverick XLT Hybrid. I considered teardrops and pull-behinds but I knew they would impact mpg. I considered bed tents for the truck but realized what a pain it would be to tear it down in the event I wanted to run to the store or go out to eat, pick up some additional supplies, etc., etc. And as for the overland "roof/bed" mounted tents, they are extremely pricey and in most cases you have to add the rack system which just drives the cost up further. My main objectives were to find a light weight option that prevented me from having to sacrifice mpg, having to pay licensing and insurance and that would also lock me into more pricey campground spots dedicated to RVs and pull-behinds. I also wanted something that could be easily disassembled and the would not take a ton of time to reassemble when my crew and the truck arrived back at the campsite. This is where the Kamp-Rite Double Tent Cot (TB343) comes in. After watching the video below, I decided to give it a shot and I ordered one this evening. Pics and reviews to follow. But, it ticks all the boxes and also doubles as a double chase lounge for two, and can be used on the ground if desired or removed and reinstalled onto the bed easily in case you want to venture out of the campground in the truck.

https://www.amazon.com/Kamp-Rite-Person-Folding-Ground-Camping/dp/B07KDYN23M/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3F6ME89LSIJUL&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.EGOH6G80nScEVKFQobwhmQ_7BACsqcSYyL4JJbB8TkymnlJcMwQthzBIvnawezUOwV0rKz7Ai_DMWscmXabGb4Dez3qv0n_ULFOq0wQtWKbWrDYpFB-m0BVt1dU68LdXoVzcNN2GCx1lvcvOayxwj4Wkcr2vSvN8hN-oxseRYqjMWfhLo0kO60JFIZAYj9Yc8fym6GFzilEFXQEfMFNqZ9iK2Ua0mK2i82IKhk7n4D_T6ywwJ64kE1n50G2koL3skjjEHfZCkO9fWtvlMoicxp3kPCKhnI5dyL7wvYzriZ0._Ds2fGIUJwa81kbQ4xW04ZCZjazCNCn0B6lTGMdbYFA&dib_tag=se&keywords=kamp+rite+tent+cot&qid=1711683391&sprefix=kamp,aps,131&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

123423_01_720x.jpg
Thanks for posting. I'm defiantly going to look into this.

Sponsored

BAScott62

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've run this setup a few times Oct Eclipse Stability with one person seems fine, not much of your weight goes beyond the center bars until you lay down.

It's too long to lay on top of all three slats to close the tailgate, the ridge on the wall of the bed is just enough to interfere. If you take the one closest to the cab out and cant it up a bit, you can get it to clear but it takes a bit of courage to slam the tailgate closed. :p

Being a cot it's already off the ground but being able to use the tailgate as a porch is nice

OP
OP
Cmcbee

Cmcbee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

https://www.amazon.com/Kamp-Rite-Person-Folding-Ground-Camping/dp/B07KDYN23M/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3F6ME89LSIJUL&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.EGOH6G80nScEVKFQobwhmQ_7BACsqcSYyL4JJbB8TkymnlJcMwQthzBIvnawezUOwV0rKz7Ai_DMWscmXabGb4Dez3qv0n_ULFOq0wQtWKbWrDYpFB-m0BVt1dU68LdXoVzcNN2GCx1lvcvOayxwj4Wkcr2vSvN8hN-oxseRYqjMWfhLo0kO60JFIZAYj9Yc8fym6GFzilEFXQEfMFNqZ9iK2Ua0mK2i82IKhk7n4D_T6ywwJ64kE1n50G2koL3skjjEHfZCkO9fWtvlMoicxp3kPCKhnI5dyL7wvYzriZ0._Ds2fGIUJwa81kbQ4xW04ZCZjazCNCn0B6lTGMdbYFA&dib_tag=se&keywords=kamp+rite+tent+cot&qid=1711683391&sprefix=kamp,aps,131&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

123423_01_720x.jpg
So I got the tent and I had to do some slight alterations because I discovered that not all tonneau covers are created equally. Mine has aluminum “ribs” to help it remain semi rigid but when rolled up it kept the front legs from extending to the front cross board. Additionally I opted for 2 x6 lumber instead of 2 x 4’s. A 2 x 6 is too big to easily fit into the notch so I had to rip it down a bit which made the leg reaching part worse, so I cut some additional 2 x 6 pieces and made more substantial supports in the corners. Also added some guide/stabilization blocks. Can’t wait to take it camping!

Ford Maverick New option / Cheaper than a roof mount - do not buy from this seller IMG_7433

Ford Maverick New option / Cheaper than a roof mount - do not buy from this seller IMG_7431

Ford Maverick New option / Cheaper than a roof mount - do not buy from this seller IMG_7432

Ford Maverick New option / Cheaper than a roof mount - do not buy from this seller IMG_7426

Ford Maverick New option / Cheaper than a roof mount - do not buy from this seller IMG_7427

Ford Maverick New option / Cheaper than a roof mount - do not buy from this seller IMG_7425

Ford Maverick New option / Cheaper than a roof mount - do not buy from this seller IMG_7430

Reactions: HTX

Moonmaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love this setup, it looks so functional I may do the same thing. Thanks for sharing this idea, this stuff is why I’m here.

EveryDayNick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT EB/AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Probably could work with a Tri-Fold and a solid Bed Wood Kit with Tailgate extension like the BamBed, right?

OP
OP
Cmcbee

Cmcbee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

123423_01_720x.jpg

dlhort1955

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

123423_01_720x.jpg
I would think you and your wife could set that up on the ground and just lift it in the bed. A Kamp-rite tent is not heavy. You also do not need an air mattress inside the tent for the single person tent . Not sure about the 2 person size. Just a sleeping bag, it is that comfortable. Kamp-rite tents are great.
A couple of bungee cords should also work well to hold it in place. You do not show it here, but the tent also comes with a strong rain cover.
I would think a couple of bungee cords would hold it in place.

Great idea. Thank you for making the video.
Sponsored