First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Myth: This thread is going to be full of good helpful information.

Fact: 😂😂😂
Sponsored

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Then my hybrid must be defective. Because it works during highway speeds and a lot longer than 20 to 30 seconds. Verified by me averaging over 40 mpg on the highway.
Your hybrid is not defective.
This truck can get 40 MPG without the battery pack, all things being equal.
But I wanted to clarify a distinction.
Electricity can come from multiple sources. When you are driving at highway speeds MOST often the "hybrid" mode is: Gas engine sends some torque to the wheels and some torque to the generator that sends power to the traction motor. The battery is not involved for the most part. I didn't say never. I said "mostly" along for the ride.
This would be apparent if you had a battery percent gauge. I have one. You probably don't.

I'm telling you the battery percent will not change much in most highway driving. It will when you accelerate to pass, or climb a steep hill. It is there for peak power. Mostly. Always some exceptions.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Myth: This thread is going to be full of good helpful information.

Fact: 😂😂😂
Of course you can just get in a drive.

Some people are curious how things work. Maybe you are not. That's fine.

StillWaiting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately, many of your "facts" are actually wrong.

For example, the EV system is actually frequently activated at highway speeds, for longer than 20-30 seconds. The computer knows when the ICE is under low load, such as occurs when cruising along at an even speed on level terrain, so the truck switches to electric mode for longer periods. This actually increases highway MPG pretty significantly--especially when there are regen opportunities. To see what I'm talking about, just watch the coaching screen the next time you drive somewhere.
I can confirm that I’ve had Electric more on for longer than 20-30 seconds on highway and in city…

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I can confirm that I’ve had Electric more on for longer than 20-30 seconds on highway and in city…
To qualify the statement:

Sure; I can "coast" for 20 minutes.
That's not what I'm talking about.
At highway speed, on flat or uphill when you actually need power to the wheels, the small battery is drained in 20-30 seconds.

Sponsored

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This whole thread is ridiculous.

Busting myths requires evidence, substantiation, valid methodology, sources, etc. Instead, all that’s being presented is a very limited understanding of how antiquated hybrid systems may have worked. Nothing about a modern system like Ford has installed in the Maverick.

There’s really nothing to see here. Moving along now.

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
New Myth. Credit union rates are better than Ford rates. When Ford was 0% for 3 years, .9% for four years, and 1.9% for five years, I seriously doubt any Credit Union offered better rates.
I have not kept up with current rates. I would think it is still true.

Moral of the story. Get credit union loan rates but do not presume those rates are lower than that offered by the manufacturer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Anyone who wants photos or videos just ask. I can monitor and film any sensor Ford has a published PID for.

For example: see this needle in the green? ZERO battery charging was going on. This was all engine brake holding me on a downhill.

Ford Maverick Myths Busted 48BC33E7-AB2A-4F45-8556-881AA776FBBC

HV battery current: -0.7 amps. Nil.
HV charge power limit: 0.00 None allowed
HV Battery % charged: 71.4% and steady
Yet "regen" is 50% in the green.
Ford Maverick Myths Busted 9BF2ECB3-04E2-445A-AC74-DD80836508C8

I'm happy to help anyone learn.
Well, SNAX is out. So he will now be ignored.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Now.... what does "engine brake" mean?

Wheels turn traction motor, traction motor generates electricity providing slowing, if that electricity can't go into the battery because it is full, the electricity can power the generator as a motor, and this motor can spin the ICE without fuel, providing even more slowing through mechanical means at the engine.

So the needle in the green may be an ammeter, but it does not tell you if power is going into the battery or power is going elsewhere. My guess, it is digitally controlled anyway so the needle moves when and how much by computer programming and therefore the power needle is a simulation and cannot be taken as gospel.

Sponsored

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your not wrong in that it is mostly load leveling at highway speeds. But that is a benefit near me when there is traffic you can end up going from 55 to 75 and back pretty often. So there is benefit from that regen and accel cycle. Dont know why all the haters are on here. And yes the battery is tiny, people seem to think its some massive battery which it most definitely is not

Renho17

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Starting a myths busted page. Hopefully it becomes a sticky.

Myth: "You get lots of recharging going down the mountains."

FALSE

These batteries are TINY capacity.

The battery is FULL in 20 or 30 seconds. The battery is drained in most cases in 20 or 30 seconds of putting power to the wheels. You can "coast" or drift for much longer.

The battery pack is for stop n go or slow n go conditions. Not really for mountains.

If you had repeated gentle "camel hump" hills of about half a mile each, that would be ideal. But few people will have that.

FACT

The green "regen" needle lies.
The green "regen" needle is also an engine brake needle. Once your battery is "full" the needle in the green shows engine braking, not battery recharging. Not a bad thing, just deceptive.
The HV battery is "Full" at 72%.
The HV battery is "Empty" at 30%.
Deep discharge and full recharge shortens battery life.
Before you get upset Ford has software limited your battery to 42% usage think of this:

Fun Fact:
The Generation One Escape HV Battery was software limited to 40% min and 54% maximum. Just 14% usage. Which is why if they didn't fail in the first year due to a bad wire, they never died.
Battery’s don’t get full or go empty. I think someone tested it and it goes to 80% and as low as 30%. NEver more and never less

jalbano2

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux, EB , 4k , FX4 , Moonroof
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Myth : This thread is useful.
Fact : This thread is a waste of my time to read.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Battery’s don’t get full or go empty. I think someone tested it and it goes to 80% and as low as 30%. NEver more and never less
I posted that here and elsewhere you probably read.

On a cold engine during warm up it will drop as low as 28% as it tries to lower emissions before the catalyst is hot. After that one time, never below 30% is allowed. On the high side it really almost stops at 70%, then allows just trickle of a charge to 72%. Never more than 72%.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Myth: Modes Matter

Fact: It's all personal preference.

I started a thread a few weeks ago "Slippery Mode is best for high MPG".

A more accurate title would be "Slippery Mode is easier for me to get high MPG".

You can achieve anything in any mode. Modes do not fundamentally change how many horsepower, lb/ft of torque, or battery kWh you have, or how much fuel it takes to move your vehicle 100 miles. It's all there in any mode. Only the behavior you get out of your two pedals changes with mode changes.

Some modes (slippery) could be assigned a human emotion like "calm". And "sport" could be described as "spirited". But you can get poor MPG in Slippery and great MPG in sport if you try hard enough.
Sponsored