MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Two words... Bed Extender. I have one on my 03 Sport Trac and it's great.
Might work if it's the right height, shape and only takes seconds to put on! How does your bed extender work? Is it always in the bed/attached and flips out somehow or is it a separate piece?

Most of the bed extenders I've seen have pretty substantially angled corners. That would seem to make them unsuitable for most tailgate pads and I'm not sure how much it would angle the bikes into each other when you were trying to toss multiple in the back at the same time.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Might work if it's the right height, shape and only takes seconds to put on! How does your bed extender work? Is it always in the bed/attached and flips out somehow or is it a separate piece?

Most of the bed extenders I've seen have pretty substantially angled corners. That would seem to make them unsuitable for most tailgate pads and I'm not sure how much it would angle the bikes into each other when you were trying to toss multiple in the back at the same time.
Mine attaches at the sides and swivels into the bed when the tailgate is up, over and onto the tailgate if you like when it is down. I attached some Yakima fork clamps to it and was easily able to carry bikes by unclipping the front wheel and clipping into the fork clamps. If you want to leave the wheel attached there would likely be other ways to clamp in the bikes. I have also carried a much larger Yamaha TW200 motorcycle in the bed. The bed extender gives you an enclosed area that adds the length of the tailgate so the short bed of the Sport Trac isn't a problem. I'm guessing this could easily work for the Maverick as well.

Attachments

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Yes, the panel replacement is my concern. If my memory is correct that is the same problem with the 1st gen Honda Ridgeline.
2nd gen Honda Ridgeline too! What appears to be a space between the cab and the bed is actually an indentation in the steel fitted w a black gasket. (I own one and it is an indentation of only about ½” if that)

when 2nd Gen debuted, Car & Driver said Honda added that so it wouldn’t be laughed at as a “truck”

wo a ladder frame, I’m not sure how you could do a separate cab and bed..

Reactions: Doc