Sponsored

"Machine-faced" wheels appearance?

TpaTruck

I tried to Google this and I cannot find whether or not machine faced wheels are always silver surfaced? My question stems from the black appearance package offering 18” Unique Machined-Face Ebony Aluminum Wheels. All the pictures show them as fully black, but all the wheels I've ever seen that were 'machined faced', have a silver surface to them... So that's left me confused.

Will the black appearance package wheels be ALL black, or have a silver surface on top of the black?
Sponsored

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What? Lol machined face, by definition, with have a machined alloy (silver as you call it) finish. The remaining painted bits are what is described by the color distinction. …. So long story short, they will be ’silver’ and black.

22MavXLT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT, 23 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From the pics I have seen solely on YouTube and Ford, they are the exact same 18" wheel that is optional on the Lariat now, BUT the machined part of that particular wheel is indeed black. I hope they won't do a BAP and then put a machined wheel on it! I ordered the BAP, and it would have been a no go for me if it had a machined wheel on it.

22MavXLT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Last edited:

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
yep, Tremor wheels are called machined-face also, all grey

Sponsored

OP
OP

TpaTruck

What? Lol machined face, by definition, with have a machined alloy (silver as you call it) finish. The remaining painted bits are what is described by the color distinction. …. So long story short, they will be ’silver’ and black.
If the face is silver, kind of kills the idea of a BAP. All pictures for this specific wheel look all black... But what you said is what I'm afraid of. If it has silver on it (machined alloy as you call it) it's going to look terrible..

OP
OP

TpaTruck

From the pics I have seen solely on YouTube and Ford, they are the exact same 18" wheel that is optional on the Lariat now, BUT the machined part of that particular wheel is indeed black. I hope they won't do a BAP and then put a machined wheel on it! I ordered the BAP, and it would have been a no go for me if it had a machined wheel on it.
That's exactly why I'm asking the question. I've seen all the BAP pictures online but calling it machine faced is throwing me off. The fact that the Lariat you just mentioned is all black and machine face, that makes me think the BAP wheel will be the same and all black. Wish there was a way to confirm this with somebody that definitely knows. I know Ford chat doesn't know!

22MavXLT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
machining is the process of how the wheel is formed. The face, ie the "silver part" is machined and will have tiny grooves in it you can feel with your fingernail. However, on the BAP that particular part of the wheel will be ebony painted. So it will be both machined AND painted. As well as the pockets will be painted, but those are a smooth finish and have no grooves you can actually feel. make sense now?

OP
OP

TpaTruck

Did that... Here's the pic:

Ford Maverick "Machine-faced" wheels appearance? Screenshot_20221122-171033

That doesn't help because it's not the wheel I'm referring too.

The wheel at page 5/6 is the one I'm talking about:

Ford Maverick "Machine-faced" wheels appearance? Screenshot_20221122-171043

Obviously in this picture it is all black, as it is in all pictures I've seen. But again the question is does machine face mean it's going to have a silver front surface, or is that just the type of wheel?

From the definitions I can find, machine faced means a thin layer of metal removed from the front of the wheel. But is it painted over the top of that or is it left alone and look silver?

I think history tells us we can't trust online pictures 100%.

Sponsored

22MavXLT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would have to say it will be an all black wheel with a machined (grooved finish) face. There should be no silver at all. Not 100% sure as I don't work for Ford, but that's my bet.

OP
OP

TpaTruck

machining is the process of how the wheel is formed. The face, ie the "silver part" is machined and will have tiny grooves in it you can feel with your fingernail. However, on the BAP that particular part of the wheel will be ebony painted. So it will be both machined AND painted. As well as the pockets will be painted, but those are a smooth finish and have no grooves you can actually feel. make sense now?
Yes. I don't feel like I'm going to be running my hands over my wheels, so grooves or no grooves I couldn't care less lol. But yeah I just want it to look good and I don't like that silver frontal that a lot of wheels have. I just find it tacky. When I bought my lariat, I immediately got rid of those. They looked like silver teeth lol.

Your explanation was exactly the answer I was looking for, thank you!!

22MavXLT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
no problem! I have a while to wait until I get mine as I don't have a scheduled build date yet, so if anybody else gets one, post it up! I want to see!!

OP
OP

TpaTruck

no problem! I have a while to wait until I get mine as I don't have a scheduled build date yet, so if anybody else gets one, post it up! I want to see!!
Same here.. No build date. I've been wanting to remove the BAP because I don't think it's worth its value, but it's growing on me. I would save over $1,000 doing things on my own and keeping the carbonized gray wheels, but I really love the BAP interior, so I'm probably going to keep it and make it easier on myself.

Yes, anyone getting the 18” Unique Machined-Face Ebony Aluminum Wheels, please post the wheels! If I remember right only 8% got the BAP so that might be a while lol

22MavXLT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The only reason I ordered the BAP to be honest was the lights and badges. The other stuff I don't mind as it comes. But I don't like the chrome badges or headlights and taillights. I know it's easy to change, but I don't wanna fool it. Now, if it is gonna be next Thanksgiving before mine gets here, I will have to compromise and do some things to my current Mav.
Sponsored