Sponsored

M8 bed holes rust prevention?

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
Aug 31, 2022
Threads
27
Messages
357
Reaction score
504
Location
Southeast
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got a question about the M8 threaded holes across both sides of the top of the bed which some people use for installing cargo rails.

I have a spray in liner which has made it really difficult to examine this area but I plan on bolting some things on there in the future. I'm wondering what product (if anything) I should use to prevent rust on the bolts and especially inside the holes on the bed itself. I don't use a tonneau so they will be exposed to weather on occasion.

Recommendations greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

 

Ottocycle

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Joined
Sep 21, 2022
Threads
8
Messages
184
Reaction score
347
Location
Baja Georgia
Vehicle(s)
23' RS6 Avant, 14' CTS-V Wagon, 87' BMW 535is
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
Anti seize or any heavy grease for that matter will work, but just use 18-8(304) hardware and call it a day. The compression of the head will seal 95% of the moisture out and since you've lined the bed it will act as a gasket and keep the other 5% out.
 
OP
OP
Maverick Life

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
Aug 31, 2022
Threads
27
Messages
357
Reaction score
504
Location
Southeast
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anti seize or any heavy grease for that matter will work, but just use 18-8(304) hardware and call it a day. The compression of the head will seal 95% of the moisture out and since you've lined the bed it will act as a gasket and keep the other 5% out.
Well that's what I'm hoping for with respect to the liner. I'm always happy to throw in an extra ounce of prevention though. Would you recommend stainless rather than something with a black oxide finish like the rest of the exposed hardware in the bed?
 

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
ernie
Joined
Aug 23, 2020
Threads
48
Messages
3,432
Reaction score
5,802
Location
ohio
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
silver or yellow zinc bolts would be fine. silver zinc fender bolts on my 95 SVT are just fine.
Sponsored

 
 







Top