First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree. Very few crossover based off road vehicles with significantly higher. I may up the size of the tires when they need to be changed. FX4 stock Pirelli should be fine until then.

Just that many don't realize a lift isn't really doing much for clearance. You need to get the axle higher to increase clearance and that's basically just tires (could be wheels but increasing wheel size for off roading is counter productive).
what axle would that be? Any of these lifts will raise the body and along with it, the front and rear drive units bolted to it. You can get some lift at the hubs, half shafts and suspension bits with tires only.
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Soooo much wrong information in here. Its almost as if no one on here has ever built, tested, rebuilt, wheeleded hard but got one upped by your buddies and got stuck,, then went home built it more and eventually ended up with a rig that none of your freinds could keep up with.

A lift kit ABSOLUTELY increases ground clearance, just not the minimum ground clearance. tires is the only thing that will increase that. But lifting a vehicle front and rear increases your approach, departure, and breakover angles all at the same time. A leveing kit, say 2" increases your approach angle by a factor of say 1, aswell as front center ground clearance, your breakover angle and belly clearance will only be affected by an factor of 0.5. Then finally your departure angle and rear bumper clearance will be actually be decreased by a factor of -0.25 roundabouts. This is all basic lessons learned on a playground teeter totter.
Ground clearance between the wheels is not nearly as important as ground clearance at the belly. Solid axle vehicles like Jeeps have the lowest point of clearance at the axle, but they are great offroad because their belly is much much higher.

Also as has been stated obsessively in the payload threads, PASSENGERS ARE CARGO! If you are single and have no freinds this does not apply, but for people with families, pets, or hobbies that require equipment or gear. You are carrying a payload. With the front end stiff to compensate for the engine/transaxle, and the rear having a pretty good rear hangover, any cargo or passengers will put a significant amount of weight on the rear axle. I can easily spot levelled vs lifted trucks on the road because they are always squatted.

If you ever have any intention of going offroad DO NOT waste money on a leveling kit. If you ever haul anything other than lunch in your TRUCK, DO NOT waste your time on a leveling kit.

The only thing that a leveling kit is good at is taking pictures and posing on curbs.

Last edited:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

what axle would that be? Any of these lifts will raise the body and along with it, the front and rear drive units bolted to it. You can get some lift at the hubs, half shafts and suspension bits with tires only.
Lifts on independent suspension actually do lift the axle housing higher aswell as the oil pan and transmission. The only thing they dont lift is the outer end of the control arms. Which is tucked up so tightly against the tire that one would have to really drive like an ass offroad to damage.

Its almost as if people that didnt learn how to offroad in Ohio dont have a clue!! :ROFLMAO:

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lifts on independent suspension actually do lift the axle housing higher aswell as the oil pan and transmission. The only thing they dont lift is the outer end of the control arms. Which is tucked up so tightly against the tire that one would have to really drive like an ass offroad to damage.

Its almost as if people that didnt learn how to offroad in Ohio dont have a clue!! :ROFLMAO:
yep, preaching to the choir my friend though I still don't see an axle housing lol
Which brings up another thought, with some MTC members with lifts already experiencing CV failures I wonder if it's advisable to go 2 inches on a Maverick. At this point I'm thinking that the Tremor 1 inch lift was part of the reason Ford upgraded its half shafts. Those shafts might just become a popular upgrade for lifted Mavs.
The shafts on my factory lifted Raptor have 6 bearing CVs compared to 4 bearing CVs on all the other F150s.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

yep, preaching to the choir my friend though I still don't see an axle housing lol
Which brings up another thought, with some MTC members with lifts already experiencing CV failures I wonder if it's advisable to go 2 inches on a Maverick. At this point I'm thinking that the Tremor 1 inch lift was part of the reason Ford upgraded its half shafts. Those shafts might just become a popular upgrade for lifted Mavs.
The shafts on my factory lifted Raptor have 6 bearing CVs compared to 4 bearing CVs on all the other F150s.
The rear has IRs pumpkin called a RDU. The front axle housing would be the transaxle. But yeah it aint no 9" under there.

I think you are right about the CVs. I will say not everyone lifted and wheeling is having troubles with theirs so its a little hard to say. I am waiting on my Tremor and the CV upgrade was a big selling point. I will still eventually lift it up another 1-1.5" over Tremor height one day. I really want to squeeze 31s on it. 31s with good tread pattern, a locker(double clutched RDU), a small lift has always been the recipe for a good compact offroader/DD. With skill and recovery gear I will probably be able to everywhere and stock TuRD yota can go.

But whenever I do get my Tremor I will take pics and measurements of the front suspension to see what is common and swappable.

Another funny thing is all these people only doing a level kit, when I plan on a lift plus adding AirLift bags to the rear with a compressor in the cubby and switches in the cab to push up the rear on the fly for hill clearance situations. The Mavericks worst angle Tremor or not is its departure anything that hinders that is just crazy.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am very far from an off road expert. But going off basic vehicle geometry, not sure how raising the body increases minimum clearance. Article below states that Maverick Tremor lowest point is the differential case. Assume this is also the same for the FX4. With that being in line with the axle, which is in line with the center of the wheel... How does a lift increase minimum clearance if the centerline of the wheel doesn't change?

I get it gets facia, oil pan, gas tank etc higher as well as improve approach/departure/breakover angles. But ground clearance (at least the one tied to min clearance though each manufacturer uses a different definition) wouldn't change right?

https://www.theautopian.com/i-took-...emors-off-road-hardware-heres-what-i-learned/

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
H/R lift springs getting installed Friday- From day 1 getting all the silly plastics a bit higher up was a big priority for me- I can deal with the low hanging diff/exhaust/etc-

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As shown in the Autopian article the rear drive unit is hardly the lowest point. There are some other good upskirt photos in that article, and the only article that claims the final drive ratio is 3.81
Ford Maverick Leveling verses lift kit under

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

All the lift kits available of any kind push the outer end of all 4 control arms downward. That pushes everything else(chassis, engine, trans, rdu, cooling system, fuel system) up.

Sponsored

Marcusgtzg81

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT 2023
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the reply. Would you mind measuring the front/rear fender heights?
I am also curious about the measurements... I am not sure if I should go 1" or 1.5" leveling on the front.
I guess rough country does 1 inch max Leveling to avoid replacing the sway bar end links?

Marcusgtzg81

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT 2023
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I leveled mine with a 1 1/2" HRG Leveling Kit https://www.hrgoffroad.com/ because I just wanted to get custom wheels and bigger tires, so it could have a better look. My truck is also a FWD so I knew I would not be needing a lift kit. My truck rides great and the kit was easy to install, I did it myself. Cooper Discoverer AT3 245/70R17 tires fit perfect and Mayhem Wheels https://www.mayhemwheels.com/ Good Luck and I hope this helps. I was having the same issue when I was looking to do something to mine.

FullSizeRender.jpg
Would you mind measuring the flor to well height in front and rear? Thanks

E30andrew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I leveled mine with a 1 1/2" HRG Leveling Kit https://www.hrgoffroad.com/ because I just wanted to get custom wheels and bigger tires, so it could have a better look. My truck is also a FWD so I knew I would not be needing a lift kit. My truck rides great and the kit was easy to install, I did it myself. Cooper Discoverer AT3 245/70R17 tires fit perfect and Mayhem Wheels https://www.mayhemwheels.com/ Good Luck and I hope this helps. I was having the same issue when I was looking to do something to mine.

FullSizeRender.jpg
Do you get any rub at all lock to lock? I plan on doing the HRG 1.5" front/rear lift and was set on some 245/65/17 KO2s, but if I can squeeze 245/70s in there without rubbing I would.

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

FullSizeRender.jpg
Just curious why 1 1/2" level instead of 1"? I'm looking at doing a leveling also. Any negatives at all?
Sponsored