First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would guess any non-metallic, non tri-coat paint would be the lightest weight but it would be so negligible I don't see what difference it would make. That's not even the kind of thing people who are trying to shave 10th's of a second off a quarter mile worry about.

Agree!.......if weight of paint is THAT important, maybe. Better to buy a Prius or some type of plug-in to gain a lot of EV miles
Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is the type of question that makes me just say WTF.

Happy Guy 823

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dakota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
WOW the misinformation here geez. Well it is the internet.
White will be the heaviest paint. The pigment is titanium dioxide which is pretty much the heaviest pigment there is. Black on the other hand, uses various forms of carbon black pigments which makes it the lightest as carbon black is very light. Red & yellow pigments are mostly heavier pigments plus the fact they have very poor black & white hiding so more paint generally has to be applied. Whites generally have B&W hiding of around 1.2 -1.4 mils whereas black down around .5 mils. But the OEMs do have a minimum DFT, (dry film thickness), so they'd still put on .7-.9 mils. So that is another reason why a black paint job would weigh less than say a white one.
Also someone mentioned white has less binder and additives in it? Ummm, again not true at all.
100 % correct. I've worked for a paint company for over 25 years. You get a gold 🌟. As for drag all colors get the same clear coat, keeping it clean and waxed is wear you could improve the drag coefficient.

OrCoaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
100 % correct. I've worked for a paint company for over 25 years. You get a gold 🌟. As for drag all colors get the same clear coat, keeping it clean and waxed is wear you could improve the drag coefficient.
Now you have gone and opened up the other Pandoras box. What wax is the slickest? Can using a clay bar first help? Is Ceramic coating the way to go?

This will keep the thread going on forever. So many opinions and products.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Now you have gone and opened up the other Pandoras box. What wax is the slickest? Can using a clay bar first help? Is Ceramic coating the way to go?

This will keep the thread going on forever. So many opinions and products.
Remember in 1960's the mpg cross country racing where the racers would wax their cars at least daily and wipe dust off at pit stops? And the guy who had the vaporizer humidifier setup so he wouldn't waste gas with too large drops from carburetor?

OrCoaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Remember in 1960's the mpg cross country racing where the racers would wax their cars at least daily and wipe dust off at pit stops? And the guy who had the vaporizer humidifier setup so he wouldn't waste gas with too large drops from carburetor?
Well kinda sorta. I was just getting into cars at that time and my dad was a Ford carburetor guy and he was always working on MPGs for the family station wagon. It had mods, but when the Fuel Injection paradigm hit he was at a loss for tech ideas. I wonder if any younger car or truck owners could even pick out a carb off a table of old car parts. Many have gone by the by.
Sponsored