Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

Sharing my experience and photos with the Harbor Freight Aluminum Rack. 10% off right now due to a President's Day Sale so ~$270. Could have waited for the market to start coming out with custom-fitted racks but was getting antsy and I have some mods in mind for the near future.

Installation took longer than I care to admit since I was doing it solo and it was snowing on and off this afternoon. The clamps were interesting since there are ridges under the lip of the bed that affect placement - was just a process of figuring out where these are and how to space clamps for most secure fit. Sits pretty high up over the roof (~10 inches) and am considering chopping down a bit but don't mind it for the time being. Serves my immediate purpose of wanting a way to transport an Old Town 158.

Ford Maverick Installed - Harbor Freight Universal Aluminum Truck Rack IMG_2768.JPG

Ford Maverick Installed - Harbor Freight Universal Aluminum Truck Rack IMG_2770
Sponsored

cannon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like it for the purpose you have in mind. I was considering going with this to mount a light bar but your picture has me thankful i didn't. I'm curious what you are using to tie down the front of the canoe.

OP
OP

mdh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like it for the purpose you have in mind. I was considering going with this to mount a light bar but your picture has me thankful i didn't. I'm curious what you are using to tie down the front of the canoe.
Hi mark, good thinking on the light bar - probably too far back / too steep of an angle for a useful light bar using this rack setup as-is.

The front tie-downs are homemade hood loop straps (made from a spare lashing strap and grommets) that bolt directly to the body, under the hood. Exactly like these. You can always purchase them but happened to have materials around to make a few pairs. Pic #2 shows the driver side tied, and the passenger side loose (just wanted to take a photo since it was cold out).

landscpdesgnr

First Name
liz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2022 Mav XLT Lux CP360 & Ford Fusion 2014
Is this rack meant to stay installed like that? It is definitely a better price than Thule!

What is the length of the canoe you have?

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any opinion as to how hard it would be to shorten them 3 or 4 inches? Thx for any response.

Looked at your link and the Harbor Frt installation manual shows the components…reducing height is as simple as cutting the length of the top rail to size needed and drill a couple of holes…just taking care to make correct length cuts.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I dont think I would like tying the front down like that. I think I would just triangulate it back to the outer edges of the front rack. Could also add tie downs part way down the posts. My track rack has em there. Really helps with tying down. That way you dont risk any hood damage.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any opinion as to how hard it would be to shorten them 3 or 4 inches? Thx for any response.
Yeah I'm curious about that too. It looks like the bottom of the tube is just screwed in place, meaning it might be fairly easy to cut the tube and run the screw through it. I'd like to get a roof rack and want them all the same height.

Does it look like you could mount a tonneau with it?

OP
OP

mdh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is this rack meant to stay installed like that? It is definitely a better price than Thule!

What is the length of the canoe you have?
HI Liz: I'm likely to keep the rack on since I plan to use for other purposes. Should come off fairly easily though.

Canoe length is 15 feet, 8 inches long.

OP
OP

mdh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah I'm curious about that too. It looks like the bottom of the tube is just screwed in place, meaning it might be fairly easy to cut the tube and run the screw through it. I'd like to get a roof rack and want them all the same height.

Does it look like you could mount a tonneau with it?
You're correct: the bottom of the upright is screwed into the base plate. I figure an angle grinder might be able to chop off any excess height, but unsure of how far the thread for the screw goes. You can see the product owner manual here for an idea of how it came together.

I don't have any experience with tonneaus, unfortunately, so can't answer this at the moment. Can take some measurements later on and see if this would be of any help.

OP
OP

mdh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I dont think I would like tying the front down like that. I think I would just triangulate it back to the outer edges of the front rack. Could also add tie downs part way down the posts. My track rack has em there. Really helps with tying down. That way you dont risk any hood damage.
Hey shane - sounds like a good idea but I'm having trouble visualizing this. any chance you have pics to share or link to the track rack site/model?

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looking at the pics it doesn't seem like you could use it with a tonneau but it does look like it could be installed/removed fairly quickly. Don't worry about measurements!

Reactions: mdh

FordMan

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Thanks For sharing! Was planning to install a bed rack, I like the price of the HF one for sure.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like even a good single cab roof rack would be a safer alternative for tying down the front of the canoe…not very expensive, plus most of the stress of holding the canoe should be in the rear two rack tie downs..

OP
OP

mdh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mauro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like even a good single cab roof rack would be a safer alternative for tying down the front of the canoe…not very expensive, plus most of the stress of holding the canoe should be in the rear two rack tie downs..
Would definitely love a roof rack and if you have any leads on a decently priced one, I - and I'm certain others - would like to know about it! The Thule and Yakima versions are out of my budget for the time being.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hey shane - sounds like a good idea but I'm having trouble visualizing this. any chance you have pics to share or link to the track rack site/model?
Here is a zoomed in crop of the tie down on my comanche, never mind the weird load. Its a plywood bed shade/rain protection on top of an oven I bought.
Ford Maverick Installed - Harbor Freight Universal Aluminum Truck Rack rack

Its a nice cleat type tie down but there are many others even ones at harbor freight.

Here is etrailer link for the one I have. Might have to do a little mod to make it work on yours. I would drill the holes through the posts, but drill them oversized and insert a sleeve so the post doesn't crush.
Track rack cleat

But yeah if you have them on both racks throw 2 straps over the top then triangulate staps to the bow and stern then that boat aint going nowhere. With the cleat style you can route the straps through the cleat then run it down to the bed tie downs to really stabilize the rack itself.
Sponsored