surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wanted to install a front/rear dash cam, and also would love a front parking camera (aka trail cam for offroaders) b/c I still don't have a feel for how close my front end is when parking (damn squared off fenders).

After debating options on some remote cam setup, via wifi / wireless or even an older gopro, that I could stream to my phone, I figured going with the Pormido triple camera + rear view mirror display was the simplest, most easily usable option. ($230 when bought)
My unconventional setup though, was to use the "rear" camera for my front/trail, the "front" camera for my rear, and the "inside/driver" camera as front facing. Only real planning change is that you need to buy an extension for the front camera to be mounted inside your rear window. (The rear is the only exterior rated camera, and comes with a long cord that is camera specific)

I had the front bumper off during my ACC install (link in sig for uninitiated) a couple weeks back, so I ran the trail cam wire at that time. I initially mounted it in part of the grill, but later moved it (new double stick tape - hope it holds up...) to under the front plate, in the lower grill to get a lower parking view. Got it setup today and checked it out - perfect - basically the trail cam view starts at 12" (ground level) from bumper edge. Should be a great help for tight parking.

You can find various YouTube review of the triple camera setup - please check those out, so I don't have to give an overview of what it is/does or how to install. Note, that in my limited experience with this setup - I use the mirror and not the display for normal driving. The rear view camera instead of a rear view mirror, isn't all that great. I think of the digital display as just a way to view the dashcams and not use them during driving / reversing.
The dashcams are on and recording (I just used the cig lighter power, and hid the wire, to not have to hardwire) even when the display is off. You can view all 3 or any single camera at a time, choose which one or all or none, displays upon startup. Plus lots of other settings I think. I didn't install GPS module - one less clutter item, and I didn't want/need that data.

Not blown away by the setup - video quality / locations aren't great, but it gets it done. Will update if I get to use it "offroading" lol
Pics in next post.

Ford Maverick Front "trail" / parking cam with triple dash cam setup PXL_20240310_185517800-EDIT

Ford Maverick Front "trail" / parking cam with triple dash cam setup PXL_20240310_185533963-EDIT

Ford Maverick Front "trail" / parking cam with triple dash cam setup PXL_20240311_023255028.MP

Ford Maverick Front "trail" / parking cam with triple dash cam setup PXL_20240311_023326454

SUCESS! This is what I was hoping for - parking lot bollard, can easily tell how close I am

Ford Maverick Front "trail" / parking cam with triple dash cam setup PXL_20240311_160917426-EDIT
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: