Frist to buy, frist to wreck.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Older generations in this segment were really limited by their live axles, as I recall many of them had about six and a half inches of clearance. Actually, unless you are bouldering that is plenty for most uses. The independent suspension of things like the new Maverick is a big advantage. My dad just got a Subaru Crosstrek, boy does it sit up high!
Agreed! There's a huge advantage to not having the diff hanging down low like that. Had a Subaru Crosstrek myself before my current Ranger and it was an amazing vehicle. Only reason I traded it in is our family and lifestyle outgrew it.

I always like putting things into perspective for people. Maybe help them think outside of their current world. It seems this day and age is so ground clearance obsessed. Thinking that the highest number is absolutely needed. When in actuality the off-road juggernauts of yesteryear did just fine without huge clearance numbers.

dp4616

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Am I going crazy? When I lookup my 2011 XL Ranger ground clearance online it says 8.9in, not 7.8 or 8.0?

Either way - if it allows taller tires, I would gladly just have that extra 0.5 - 1in from tires alone. Never had an issue with truck the way it sits currently. It floods occasionally here in SFL and that has me worried - do they come with intercoolers at front lower with the ecoboosts?

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Am I going crazy? When I lookup my 2011 XL Ranger ground clearance online it says 8.9in, not 7.8 or 8.0?

Either way - if it allows taller tires, I would gladly just have that extra 0.5 - 1in from tires alone. Never had an issue with truck the way it sits currently. It floods occasionally here in SFL and that has me worried - do they come with intercoolers at front lower with the ecoboosts?
Looks like you get a bunch of different numbers from a bunch of different websites. I was getting mine from "The Ranger Station", which looks like it gives "minimum" ground clearance numbers for the last gen US model. But later on it gives 6.7" or 7.4" for that generation as well. So who knows anymore.

1620317753737.png

1620317815031.png

https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-ranger-dimensions/

1620317788891.png