brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nobody said anything about shipping - FIFO - only BUILD - that is why i indicated my residential area being Washington / Baltimore. There is a car hauler from FORD in my area a few times a week. So before you RIP up my life experiences try reading what i said and then don’t bother to reply. I would match my logistics and transportation credential with anyone. You may be too young to remember the old days when your dealer found you the car you wanted on someone else’s lot or the yard by the train station. They would put it on a hauler and within a couple of days it arrived.
Building but not shipping FIFO is the worst of both worlds. You're limiting manufacturing and shipping efficiencies AND increasing storage costs. You're basically building to store rather than building to sell. The logistics of shipping 1,000s of cars to 1,000s of dealerships is completely different than a dealer checking stock at another lot and having it delivered. Just making that comparison is reason to question your "logistic and transportation credential."
Sponsored

OP
OP

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Building but not shipping FIFO is the worst of both worlds. You're limiting manufacturing and shipping efficiencies AND increasing storage costs. You're basically building to store rather than building to sell. The logistics of shipping 1,000s of cars to 1,000s of dealerships is completely different than a dealer checking stock at another lot and having it delivered. Just making that comparison is reason to questi your "logistic and transportation credential."
In my case - how many are being shipped to the central Washington / Baltimore area each week. They all gat dropped in one place. It has a population greater than Los Angeles. There are lots of Bronco Sports on the car lots maybe - just maybe they could have made room for my Maverick. There are 6 Ford dealerships within 40 miles of my house. I am not saying Timbuck2. Say whatever you want about my understanding but it is my money and i own 4 Fords.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In my case - how many are being shipped to the central Washington / Baltimore area each week. They all gat dropped in one place. It has a population greater than Los Angeles. There are lots of Bronco Sports on the car lots maybe - just maybe they could have made room for my Maverick. There are 6 Ford dealerships within 40 miles of my house. I am not saying Timbuck2. Say whatever you want about my understanding but it is my money and i own 4 Fords.
Maybe, but who's Maverick or Bronco get's the boot?

trwknox

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger fx2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with the allocation system they have the retail orders should be built and shipped no matter what,stovk orders and be allocationmay speed up things,and they need to give you tracking info when they ship so you can see where you order is at on a train or truck some dealers act like it a top secert to let that info out

OP
OP

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe, but who's Maverick or Bronco get's the boot?
Maybe they just add another rail car. Hopefully they are not that constrained on how many cars are on a train. Remember as the train goes across country they drop cars for each area. There isn’t a whole train for each stop. We will never agree. True logistics companies such as FEDEX, UPS and Amazon bring stuff to central points all over the country and then move the product to the closest major city and then start delivery. Sometime get on Route 28 outside of Dulles Airport around 0600 in the morning !00’s of UPS trucks, Many then go to a local distribution center where they Gery separated for local delivery and by 1600 it is dropped on my doorstop. Recently I sold my Porsche to CARVANA, A car hauler was sent 60 miles (with a large check) to pick it up. Just one car and they do the same for a 15K Escape. I garuntee they are not losing money.

Sponsored

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nobody said anything about shipping - FIFO - only BUILD - that is why i indicated my residential area being Washington / Baltimore. There is a car hauler from FORD in my area a few times a week. So before you RIP up my life experiences try reading what i said and then don’t bother to reply. I would match my logistics and transportation credential with anyone. You may be too young to remember the old days when your dealer found you the car you wanted on someone else’s lot or the yard by the train station. They would put it on a hauler and within a couple of days it arrived.

Sorry buddy I was born in 1950. NO TOO YOUNG!!! They still do that if they have inventory. They don't and raw materials are still under constraint so what inventory of premade cars is there sitting on a dealer lot to be shipped out to a customer that wants it.

They ARE building FIFO according to the raw material they have on hand at the time. Like it or not Shipping at all levels plays a role because they ship a critical mass to a location. Train cars hold a certain number of cars and that train is not going to ship say half a train car load to a particular area. That is part of the logistics of allocation

OP
OP

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry buddy I was born in 1950. NO TOO YOUNG!!! They still do that if they have inventory. They don't and raw materials are still under constraint so what inventory of premade cars is there sitting on a dealer lot to be shipped out to a customer that wants it.

They ARE building FIFO according to the raw material they have on hand at the time. Like it or not Shipping at all levels plays a role because they ship a critical mass to a location. Train cars hold a certain number of cars and that train is not going to ship say half a train car load to a particular area. That is part of the logistics of allocation
In September 2021 i spec’s out a 2021 Escape Titanium Hybrid. I wanted a certain color plus some specific options such as Park Assist and Heads Up Display. My dealer found the perfect SUV on a dealer lot 250 miles away. It was in my driveway within a week plus NO ADM. I agree it is rare but the level of service at this dealership is outstanding.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In September 2021 i spec’s out a 2021 Escape Titanium Hybrid. I wanted a certain color plus some specific options such as Park Assist and Heads Up Display. My dealer found the perfect SUV on a dealer lot 250 miles away. It was in my driveway within a week plus NO ADM. I agree it is rare but the level of service at this dealership is outstanding.
That's great, but again that's one built car going 250 miles. Simple process. It's nothing like scaling to: 10s of thousands of custom orders amid severe materials constraints getting shipped to 4000+ locations that range from 100s to 1000s of miles away through multi-modal infrastructure. It's literally one of the most complex logistics operations on the planet.

OP
OP

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's great, but again that's one built car going 250 miles. Simple process. It's nothing like scaling to: 10s of thousands of custom orders amid severe materials constraints getting shipped to 4000+ locations that range from 100s to 1000s of miles away through multi-modal infrastructure. It's literally one of the most complex logistics operations on the planet.
Gotta wonder how Tesla plans to ship 80 Billion dollars ( advance sales to date) in Cyber Trucks one house at a time. No dealers. BTW I spent years in transportation operating a 24/7/365 taxi, limo and messenger service serving a large city, i sold it and now i a have a Amazon Logistics franchise. I know a little about logistics and a very demanding customer.

Last edited:

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Tesla hasn't even finished building the factory that will manufacture cybertrucks. You think waiting for Mavericks is bad, Tesla is full of broken promises.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Gotta wonder how Tesla plans to ship 80 Billion dollars ( advance sales to date) in Cyber Trucks one house at a time. No dealers.
First of all, they have $0 of advanced "sales." They have 1.2 million reservations. That's after 2 years of open reservations and they're more than 1 year delayed in delivering even 1 unit. Doubt they convert 20% of the reservations. Furthermore, judging from their other roll outs, if they do ever deliver the cyber truck, it'll take forever to get the orders to customers. Tough comp to try to make your point

OP
OP

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tesla hasn't even finished building the factory that will manufacture cybertrucks. You think waiting for Mavericks is bad, Tesla is full of broken promises.
All very true but they will come thru as they have on every goal Elon Musk has set. Wether it is automotive, solar or rocket ships. They are certainly a trail blazer. He may build the hyper link someday. Imagine Washington DC to NYC in 30 minutes. So far TSLA added a bunch of cash to my retirement fund.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All very true but they will come thru as they have on every goal Elon Musk has set. Wether it is automotive, solar or rocket ships. They are certainly a trail blazer. He may build the hyper link someday. Imagine Washington DC to NYC in 30 minutes. So far TSLA added a bunch of cash to my retirement fund.
Lol

OP
OP

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First of all, they have $0 of advanced "sales." They have 1.2 million reservations. That's after 2 years of open reservations and they're more than 1 year delayed in delivering even 1 unit. Doubt they convert 20% of the reservations. Furthermore, judging from their other roll outs, if they do ever deliver the cyber truck, it'll take forever to get the orders to customers. Tough comp to try to make your point
They took deposits on every one.

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have in order two identical july xlt hybrid lux confirmed with 1 day of difference one from a local dealer ( small size) and the other from Chapman.
neither got scheduled so I would not speculate on large vs small dealers too much.
@Dealerinsider in Kansas has done extraordinary work promoting the maverick nationwide and I think Ford corporate gave that dealer a unique treatment recently. If I was a dealer I would have called my regional Ford contact to be sure my work was well communicated up to teh ford decision-making chain.
I recall Tim mentioning a normal allocation initially. I bet that the dealership got a major boost because of Tim’s work.
And you know what...he deserves it.
Sponsored

Last edited: