Falken Wild Peak AT Trail vs BFG Trail Terrain in 245/65/17

Sizeth3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
I can't decide between the Falken Wild Peak AT Trail and the BFG Trail Terrain, both in the 245/65/17 size.

Have a 2.0 ecoboost with 4k tow. Mostly used on road, but I like the look of an AT tire. I just put the Rough Country 1" level on my truck and have a set of Bronco Sport wheels on the way.

This is my daily, I rarely see snow, but love the look of AT tires. Would the BFG see better fuel economy than the Falken in the same size, or is it pretty much a coin flip? I feel like the Falkens are good looking tires, just don't want to see a huge hit in fuel economy.

Ford Maverick Falken Wild Peak AT Trail vs BFG Trail Terrain in 245/65/17 1650302708013
Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Probably a tossup on those two options.

If you care about mileage, look into the Toyo Open Country IIIs. It's what I run in that size and is one of the lightest AT tires on the market at 34 pounds for 245/65R17.

Maverickgirl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can't decide between the Falken Wild Peak AT Trail and the BFG Trail Terrain, both in the 245/65/17 size.

Have a 2.0 ecoboost with 4k tow. Mostly used on road, but I like the look of an AT tire. I just put the Rough Country 1" level on my truck and have a set of Bronco Sport wheels on the way.

This is my daily, I rarely see snow, but love the look of AT tires. Would the BFG see better fuel economy than the Falken in the same size, or is it pretty much a coin flip? I feel like the Falkens are good looking tires, just don't want to see a huge hit in fuel economy.

1650302708013.png
Recieved my EcoBoost with 4k tow pkg and mine came with the Faulken ATs back in January! They were great in the snow and I love the look!

Ford Maverick Falken Wild Peak AT Trail vs BFG Trail Terrain in 245/65/17 IMG_20220305_173941

Mike D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Escape, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

1650302708013.png
I went with Toyo Open Country AT III 245/65/17s, great aggressive tread, but not too much. 65000 mi tire and a sexy fit and look to my alto blu Maverick.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sizeth3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Probably a tossup on those two options.

If you care about mileage, look into the Toyo Open Country IIIs. It's what I run in that size and is one of the lightest AT tires on the market at 34 pounds for 245/65R17.
So I was looking at the Toyos on discounttire’s website, switching between black and white lettering on the sidewall adds weight, and I don’t understand why…. They say 37 lbs with the black sidewall, 34 with the white letters?

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So I was looking at the Toyos on discounttire’s website, switching between black and white lettering on the sidewall adds weight, and I don’t understand why…. They say 37 lbs with the black sidewall, 34 with the white letters?
Haha, I questioned that as well when I was tire shopping. The Toyo site lists both at 34 pounds.

They're listed as BSW for black sidewall and OWL for white here: https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3/

Mike D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Escape, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Didn't want to pass on the deal with my Roush discount at Belle Tire warehouse. Feel great on the truck...... but then again only have 160 miles on it. Good luck with yours and to all.

Sponsored

D&Dmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MINI & Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We have the Falken Wild Peak AT tires and we love them. Tire Rack reviews are true. Quiet on the road.

spuds_mackenzie

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Hot pepper red
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the Toyo's on mine OC III 245/65/17 and have noticed a much larger decrease in mpg than I was expecting at least according to the dash (idk how accurate it is). With the stock Lariat wheels/tires I would average around 28mpg to/from work. After running the Toyo's with aftermarket 17" wheels I now struggle to get 24mpg on the same trip.

I did actual math on my last fill up and it showed 22mpg. If I remember correctly I calculated 26mpg real world on the stock tires/wheels. So still a 4mpg decrease. It's enough of a hit that I kind of regret getting them, regardless of how much I like the way they look.

1stE

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
muscle car
I prefer the 17” black wheels with Falken tires to the 18 wheels that come on the front wheel drive lariat hybrid
I don’t think this will affect my mpg

Parabellum

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 5.0 (hopefully soon maverick)
I have wildpeaks on my f150, I lost close to 4 mpg with them. They are quiet on the road though.
Sponsored