Sponsored

Does my dealership need to drive my truck 14 miles when addressing the under the hood safety recall? (22S47/22V484)

TheMaeve

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Hey all, long time reader, first time poster.

Title alludes to what I’m getting at: dropped my truck off at the dealership yesterday to address the under the hood fire issue.

I took a picture of my odometer, as well as a screenshot when I dropped it off like I always do when dropping off my vehicle anywhere with its key.

Today when I was casually checking the FordPass app from work, my odometer read the truck had been driven 14 miles.

A few questions:
  1. Does a dealership need to put 14 miles on my truck to address the under hood issue (my guess is no…but I could 100% be wrong)
  2. Is it possible they allowed my truck to be a test driver? Or maybe an employee took it out for a lunchtime joyride? If so, is there any recourse? I definitely didn’t consent to my property to be driven around town.
  3. Any other thoughts on this? What would you do? Curious if this has happened to anybody else recently, and maybe I’m over reacting..but 14 miles seems excessive for a few holes to be Drilled.
Thanks for your time and answers!
Sponsored

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let it go as long as no dirt or dings in it.
Next time you think there should be a zero mile service, ask them outright as you give them the keys "will this service require you to drive the truck off premises". If they say no, say thank you. If they say YES than ask "why is that required?" They should be able to explain why.

Only the person who drove it knows. You can't prove a thing and no reason to lose sleep over it.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Title alludes to what I’m getting at: dropped my truck off at the dealership yesterday to address the under the hood fire issue.

I took a picture of my odometer, as well as a screenshot when I dropped it off like I always do when dropping off my vehicle anywhere with its key.

Today when I was casually checking the FordPass app from work, my odometer read the truck had been driven 14 miles.

A few questions:
  1. Does a dealership need to put 14 miles on my truck to address the under hood issue (my guess is no…but I could 100% be wrong)
  2. Is it possible they allowed my truck to be a test driver? Or maybe an employee took it out for a lunchtime joyride? If so, is there any recourse? I definitely didn’t consent to my property to be driven around town.
  3. Any other thoughts on this? What would you do? Curious if this has happened to anybody else recently, and maybe I’m over reacting..but 14 miles seems excessive for a few holes to be Drilled.
Required only if you're having lunch off site.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah, I’m with the other posts, let it go. I’m always very careful at the dealership. Those service writers have VERY detailed notes and they remember customers and their vehicles. I wouldn’t want to be making any accusations, when I know I’ll be back eventually for some other service.

Use the old dealer service tricks like chalk one of your tires, to make sure they actually rotate your tires. Take a Post-It and write the mileage down and stick it right in the dash, to let everyone in service know your watching the mileage.

Sponsored

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

A few questions:
If you are this paranoid about..... everything, you should do all required work on your truck yourself from now on. Most services need a test drive afterwards to make sure nothing is wrong and no lights come on. If your first reaction when picking up your truck is "is there any recourse?", you have deeper issues going on. And nobody wants you in their shop if you are going to make up stuff so you have a reason to get upset about something that there is a 99% chance didn't happen.

maybe ask them to hand you $0.75 for the gas used if you're really that upset :ROFLMAO:

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can talk with the service manager and get a vague apology or blanket explanation, but none of those things are going to put 14 miles back on your truck. Unless someone in your service department is on the forum here, posting won't help much :LOL:

Maybe searching "14 Mile Maverick Joyride Review" would help you get to the bottom of it? Jk, jk, hope you get it sorted out.

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP,
Removing four shutter vanes and drilling drainage holes in the under engine guard does not require ANY road testing. How do I know? I watched the tech through the waiting room window perform the recall on my truck in under an hour.

When he was done he drove the truck around front and gave the keys to the service manager. I signed the paperwork and left. I do not think you are over reacting, nor are you paranoid. You gave them permission to do the recall, a recall that does not require a 14 mile road test! I'd be pissed and in the service manager's face. But that's how I roll.

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2.0 ecoboost, Ford Crown Victoria
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Recourse? For what? Because someone or two took your car out for a ride. What do you want to get out of it? I'd be pissed too if my repair shop took my car for a 14 mile drive.
Your recourse is simply this, Take Your Business Elsewhere. There are other Ford dealers out there. The car does not have to be serviced by the place that sold it.
I would be more concerned that this is an indicator of bigger issues and level of service in that dealer.

Sponsored

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Recourse? For what? Because someone or two took your car out for a ride. What do you want to get out of it? I'd be pissed too if my repair shop took my car for a 14 mile drive.
Your recourse is simply this, Take Your Business Elsewhere. There are other Ford dealers out there. The car does not have to be serviced by the place that sold it.
I would be more concerned that this is an indicator of bigger issues and level of service in that dealer.
He might be able to get a free oil change out of it.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am a near lifetime service advisor, and have been in the luxury segment for coming on 12 years. 14 miles is not necessary for a recall check, I am sure. That said, advisors have the hardest job in any dealer, no questions asked. And the amount of poo they have to deal with from clients who are right, or WAY out of line is sometimes astounding. Especially at lower end stores. If you are this neurotic as a client, no advisor is ever going to want to work with you, and you don't want that. Now if your vehicle is damaged, or an employee is doing something like driving your car to lunch or home, or in an illegal manner, then of course. Make an issue out of it.

Last edited: