Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is on my list to do as well, did you use ear plugs to plug the threaded holes?
I always wonder about painting this area as well. It looks like there is enough room in there.
1693329760550.png
I used ear plugs - they work great

Sponsored

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you do the black 'line', I think going to the corner would be a natural break point. Moreso than somewhere in the middle. The 'red' can be done, but you'll have to remove or mask a few things.
Personally, I think either would look good. The corner seems to me to be more attractive than going to the edge .
I used the HF Herculiner on my old Ranger. I sanded the tired old paint and then used a paint brush to stipple the goo. It was the consistency of a melting milkshake, and gave off fumes as I worked. Seems the brush got dry enough to keep the bristles bent, so I ended up using it to 'poke' the liner onto the bed surface. Looks pretty good, except where it did not stick. I really thought I had scuffed enough, apparently not. Other than that, it would have been OK, but not as nice as I would like on a new vehicle. IOW, spend the bucks. For a 38 year old truck, it was fine.
tom

MaxMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT hybrid, 18 Volt, 07MX5 PRHT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had line x sprayed in ours and then Waxoyl rustproofing done underneath. The areas not sprayed with line x or waxoyl included the area below the tailgate, the tailgate sides and the vertical area between the bedliner and tail lights. I picked up a few cans of Waxoyl spray and did them myself so it is all protected now. I used the black hardwax waxoyl, for example

https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/r...Cm8Ki2hcn2Xp9F3ENCnSyomf0KMgzrSsaAlE3EALw_wcB

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you do the black 'line', I think going to the corner would be a natural break point. Moreso than somewhere in the middle. The 'red' can be done, but you'll have to remove or mask a few things.
Personally, I think either would look good. The corner seems to me to be more attractive than going to the edge .
I used the HF Herculiner on my old Ranger. I sanded the tired old paint and then used a paint brush to stipple the goo. It was the consistency of a melting milkshake, and gave off fumes as I worked. Seems the brush got dry enough to keep the bristles bent, so I ended up using it to 'poke' the liner onto the bed surface. Looks pretty good, except where it did not stick. I really thought I had scuffed enough, apparently not. Other than that, it would have been OK, but not as nice as I would like on a new vehicle. IOW, spend the bucks. For a 38 year old truck, it was fine.
tom
Thank you, I work for an airline and I proposed that we pain one plane as a pig, then have advertisements (yea, when Pig's fly) Obviously too radical for them and might offend Jewish and Muslim travelers. Oh well. I am not worried about removing the hardware to extend the bed paint. Not having a Mav yet, my only concern is clearance but I think there is a lot of space between the tail gate and the corner.

Sponsored

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I had line x sprayed in ours and then Waxoyl rustproofing done underneath. The areas not sprayed with line x or waxoyl included the area below the tailgate, the tailgate sides and the vertical area between the bedliner and tail lights. I picked up a few cans of Waxoyl spray and did them myself so it is all protected now. I used the black hardwax waxoyl, for example

https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/r...Cm8Ki2hcn2Xp9F3ENCnSyomf0KMgzrSsaAlE3EALw_wcB
[/QUO
how does it look?

MaxMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT hybrid, 18 Volt, 07MX5 PRHT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a flat/matte black and I think looks much better than cactus gray next to the SIBL. Ties it all together.
btw you don't need to sand before applying the waxoyl I just wiped off the dust/grime with isopropyl alcohol before spraying the waxoyl

Last edited:

ubiquityman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's good work! I got the factory spray-in, but afterwards, I realized I prefer the color of the painted bed. If I were to do it again, if I could get it without the SIBL I'd do that and either get a rubber mat or do what you did with spray in but just on the bottom bed portion.
Sponsored