Sponsored

Did Ford "soften" the OEM Falken Wildpeak AT3W for the Maverick?

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Since the first time I saw a Maverick wearing the optional 17" wheels and Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires, I have felt that something was different. Does anyone else think Ford has had Falken slightly modify this tire for OEM applications? The shoulder design (where the tread meets the sidewall) doesn't look nearly as aggressive as the non-OEM AT3W. It looks to be much more rounded on the OEM version than squared off as it is on the non-OEM version. Am I crazy or do you see it?

Ford Maverick Did Ford "soften" the OEM Falken Wildpeak AT3W for the Maverick? 1E95B8A3-CFD6-478C-AFA7-ADCE16BE2A05

Ford Maverick Did Ford "soften" the OEM Falken Wildpeak AT3W for the Maverick? 50C65F20-3DC4-470A-82AB-ACD5B737386B
Sponsored

TE37Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since the first time I saw a Maverick wearing the optional 17" wheels and Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires, I have felt that something was different. Does anyone else think Ford has had Falken slightly modify this tire for OEM applications? The shoulder design (where the tread meets the sidewall) doesn't look nearly as aggressive as the non-OEM AT3W. It looks to be much more rounded on the OEM version than squared off as it is on the non-OEM version. Am I crazy or do you see it?

1E95B8A3-CFD6-478C-AFA7-ADCE16BE2A05.jpeg

50C65F20-3DC4-470A-82AB-ACD5B737386B.jpeg

OEM are wildpeak Trail the second pic are wildpeak AT3W. That’s your difference.

OP
OP
starquestbd22

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
OEM are wildpeak Trail the second pic are wildpeak AT3W. That’s your difference.
Nah, that's not it. The tires on the preproduction Mavs (including the one above) are clearly the AT3W. You can see the "AT3W" on the sidewall and the sidewall design and tread are different than the AT Trail. It's just a nerfed down version of the AT3W. Personally, I'm kinda glad. I had AT3Ws on an F150 a couple years ago and they were fairly quiet overall but did make noise especially during slow speed turns. Maybe this "softening" will help that.

I don't follow the Bronco Sport forums much but seems like I have seen some with the AT3W and some with the AT Trail. I guess we truly won't know which one the Mavs will come with until they start hitting dealer lots but the preproduction models with these wheels have all had the AT3W.

Sponsored

Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I'm guessing the load/ply rating might make a difference in this case, just a guess though.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
I believe there's two different Falken AT3W designs, depending on size and load rating

the 285/70/17 C's on my Gladiator are the more aggressive design

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ah, did some digging

P rated Falkens gets the special silica rubber compound to improve wet-weather traction.
LT gets a deeper tread void

P235/65/17 Falkens on the Maverick aren't an OEM spec, just the standard P design tire

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
starquestbd22

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
well, then its off size/width

Here's a used tire with the less aggressive design:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165040442463?hash=item266d2d4c5f:g:gMEAAOSwPb9hKU6y

there's only one Falken part number for 235/65/17
The two tires pictured above are very clearly two different designs. The tread pattern is the same overall but the OEM tire on the left is much less aggressive, particularly in the shoulder lug area. The OEM also has two circumferential channels that the non-OEM tire doesn't even have at all. I think it's much more likely that the difference is based off of one being an OEM tire and the other not rather than the size difference.

I have speculated for years that tire manufacturers make softer, cheaper versions of consumer tires for auto manufacturers to use as OEM equipment. I think they make them softer so that the vehicle seems to ride better and the cheaper part is self-explanatory. This is why you can read reviews of a particular tire and see polar opposite experiences. When you take the time to read the bad reviews, you will find that they were an OEM supplied tire and the good reviews are of a consumer purchased and installed tire. If I had to guess, the reason you only see one part number for the Falken AT3W in 235/65/17 is because that one is the only one you can buy as a consumer or even as an aftermarket retailer. The other version is going straight to the auto factories for install on new vehicles and nowhere else.

Just my two cents.

**EDIT** Perfect example are the Hankook Dynapro ATM that came factory on my Ranger. Overall, the Dynapro gets pretty good reviews. But if you start reading the Ranger forums, they are kinda hit and miss. The ones that say they like them are complimenting the comfortable ride quality. The ones saying they don't are tearing them up off-roading because they are so soft. The Hankooks that came on my truck were load range C and were still very noticeably softer than the standard load Falken HT tires that I replaced them with.

Last edited:
Sponsored

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Glad I didn't upgrade on the build then. Good looking out guys. I've purchased aftermarket tires that will go on my Maverick the day I pick it up from the dealer.

OP
OP
starquestbd22

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Glad I didn't upgrade on the build then. Good looking out guys. I've purchased aftermarket tires that will go on my Maverick the day I pick it up from the dealer.
Personally, I'm happy about it. I don't need a super aggressive tire but sure do like the look if it so a softened up version of the AT3W is perfect for me. I ordered the optional wheels and tires primarily for the wheels anyway. I was just looking for confirmation that I wasn't the only one seeing the difference.

Braderick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT, RAV4 Hybrid, KIA EV6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
ex-goodyear here... OEM tires are a compromise due to costs...less rubber or performance reduces cost.

That being said, some OEM tires are top spec. Most are typically the middle tire chosen of 5 options, not the best nor the worst of what tire manufactures propose for production.

Good enough, right?

Bean counters....geeeez.

OP
OP
starquestbd22

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
ex-goodyear here... OEM tires are a compromise due to costs...less rubber or performance reduces cost.

That being said, some OEM tires are top spec. Most are typically the middle tire chosen of 5 options, not the best nor the worst of what tire manufactures propose for production.

Good enough, right?

Bean counters....geeeez.
This makes sense. I've long thought that most OEM tires value ride and noise comfort more than actual performance and longevity. As you said, I'm sure there are exceptions.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Personally, I'm happy about it. I don't need a super aggressive tire but sure do like the look if it so a softened up version of the AT3W is perfect for me. I ordered the optional wheels and tires primarily for the wheels anyway. I was just looking for confirmation that I wasn't the only one seeing the difference.
Added the FX4 package and while not really into black rims or the crappy scorpion tires that they come with so paid the additional $795 to get the Alloy wheels and I guess now softened up a bit AT3's- Will put K02s on once they wear out-
Sponsored