Sponsored

Catalytic converter theft protection / prevention?

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Except if you live in a CARB state your option is only going to be OEM or a certified aftermarket that probably costs just as much if not more.
Not so sure.

In Calif they don't do actual sniff tests of your exhaust anymore. They only look for any codes or malfunction indicator lamps. No computer codes, you pass.
Sponsored

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It defeats logic but not really.

I've talked to Prius owners who have lost three, three catalytic converters. The last two had professionally installed Cat Clamps. She was a young lady who was not a DIY'er and had a muffler shop install them.

No match for power cutting tools.
No, I get it why she has had them stolen despite these. That's my point. Once they were under there with power tools, if doesn't take much longer to cut the cables than the initial theft. It's not like smash and grab for cars where the deterent of nothing visible is enough. These devices aren't stopping someone already under your car with a Sawzall.

papak

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've installed protective stainless steel covers on three Prius's to date for family members. Local thieves (Los Angeles) are now cutting the exhaust pipe further from the cover and sliding the longer section out the rear. I'm now fabricating SS slotted retainers to be riveted to the covers to contain the exhaust pipe within the protective cover.
Sponsored