Sponsored

Car seats - 2 forward facing car seats in back seats?

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm no sure how you can lose leg room with the hybrid. The battery takes away storage space under a seat.
Sponsored

ltcolsal

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone able to tell how 2 forward facing car seats would fair in the back of the Maverick?
The simple answer is yes. You should be able to install any forward facing car seat in the back seat of the Maverick. First, take a look at the Maverick Owner Manual the section on Child Safety. It will show you can install two car seats on each end of the back seat using the lower anchors. In theory, although unpractical you could install three using the seatbelt for the middle car seat. Or if you are taking two kids and an adult in the back, you could install one at the end of the back seat using the lower anchors and the second in the middle of the seat leaving the other end for a small adult.

HOWEVER, it is all going to depend on how far back you the driver and passenger seat are. If you are tall person, maybe doing the center and passenger side rear seat are the way to go, because you need to push the seat all the way back. the passenger, he can be uncomfortable for the children safety.

Without knowing the brand and model of the car seat, the age, height and weight of the kids, as well as how tall you are, is hard to give you some options. You have to look at both the Maverick Manual and the car seat weight limitations for use of lower anchors. For the Maverick the child weight should be less than 65 lbs. Car seat weight limitation varies from Manufacturer to Manufacturer as well as models.

In the Forward Facing position, you have to use the tether. In the Maverick it is going to be a little tricky to tighten the strap. Remove the headrest, install the tether, pull without tightening, and make sure the strap is easy to reach so you can tighten it at the end.

Install the two latches, make sure there is slack on the straps. Put your knee on the seat and tighten the straps of the latches. Grab the side of the car seat and pull/push/shake side to side. the car seat should not move side-to-side more than an inch in the back, where it makes contact with the back and bottom of the Maverick seat. Tighten the Tether strap and even if you had more than inch, it should not move.

Another thing to consider are state laws. In MA the only requirements in the law are: If the kid is less than 8 years old in "a child passenger restraint," which I interpret as car seat or booster seat, and be 4'9" (57 inches) in height.

The key is take a look at the how you have your seat set, go online and read the car seat manual for the model you are looking to purchase, and check the manufacturers YouTube videos. Most of them have them.

If your kids are 40 to 80 pounds but under 4'9” and are somewhere within 4 to 8 years old and they at least 35” tall they might be able to use a booster seat or a convertible Booster Seat.

I won't be participating in a Car-seats Checkpoint until the end of July and I am intrigued now on how to properly install Forward Facing, Rear Facing, and infant car seats in a Maverick. I have installed seats in a mini-coop, so anything is possible.

Please send me a private message and I will send you contact information in case you want to talk. I am a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician and a Reserve Deputy Sheriff.

NHTSA Certified Technician T751829

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I,ve had both sizes of seats in my
truck at the same time with no problem for a year now!
Sponsored