Sponsored

Cars.com: How do car seats fit in the Maverick?

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
https://www.cars.com/articles/how-do-car-seats-fit-in-a-2022-ford-maverick-442755/

Spoiler - Cars.com trashes the Maverick for being able to put a car seat in it, but I am here to tell you that whoever wrote this article doesn't have kids or a compact SUV.

Two things they accurately point out:
  • Rear-facing seats will suck in this vehicle. Any rear facing car seat requires the front seat to be pushed way forward. 2 rear facing seats probably won't work
  • the rear latches on the back of the truck wall are a pain in the ass to tighten because most seats require that you pull down on the strap in order to tight it. The orientation of the rear latch causes me to pull up with the Cosco Finale which is not what should be done and the 1 strap does get twisted once.

Positives - I am here to tell you that 3 car seats can fit in the back of the Maverick. My kids are 3, 5, and 7. With two front facing "booster" seats that have seatbacks (but do not latch into the rear)

Seat Models:
  • Graco Affix High Back Booster Car Seat w/latch (x2)
  • Cosco Finale 2 in 1 Combination Booster Car Seat (w/5 pt harness and rear latch)

The Set up:
  1. Middle Seat - use Cosco Finale
    1. Attach rear latch first
      1. Mav latch orientation makes you pull up on strap. I try and get it as tight as I can before close the seat back and only use the strap for final adjustments.
    2. Attach the front latch points to the outer seats to the left and right (they share a latch point with the outside boosters)
    3. Jam your knee into the car seat and tighten like hell
  2. Outside seats - Graco Affix (x2)
    1. Loosen latch straps as much as possible
    2. Attach inside tether to latch with middle seat (can be difficult)
    3. Attach outside tether to outside latch
    4. Pull tight (knee on seat if necessary)

The seats all touch each other and the two Graco boosters push ever so slightly out towards the doors.

It's really possible and it's not that hard to do.

Cars.com is weak.
Sponsored

NewMavIL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
https://www.cars.com/articles/how-do-car-seats-fit-in-a-2022-ford-maverick-442755/

Spoiler - Cars.com trashes the Maverick for being able to put a car seat in it, but I am here to tell you that whoever wrote this article doesn't have kids or a compact SUV.

• Rear-facing seats will suck in this vehicle. Any rear facing car seat requires the front seat to be pushed way forward. 2 rear facing seats probably won't work
  • the rear latches on the back of the truck wall are a pain in the ass to tighten because most seats require that you pull down on the strap in order to tight it. The orientation of the rear latch causes me to pull up with the Cosco Finale which is not what should be done and the 1 strap does get twisted once.

Positives - I am here to tell you that 3 car seats can fit in the back of the Maverick. My kids are 3, 5, and 7. With two front facing "booster" seats that have seatbacks (but do not latch into the rear)

Seat Models:
  • Cosco Finale 2 in 1 Combination Booster Car Seat (w/5 pt harness and rear latch)

The Set up:
      1. Mav latch orientation makes you pull up on strap. I try and get it as tight as I can before close the seat back and only use the strap for final adjustments.
    2. Attach the front latch points to the outer seats to the left and right (they share a latch point with the outside boosters)

The seats all touch each other and the two Graco boosters push ever so slightly out towards the doors.

Cars.com is weak.
Agreed. You don't have a pic do you? I'll be doing something similar with newborn, 8, & 12 yr old at times
Ford Maverick Cars.com: How do car seats fit in the Maverick? Mav Pic2

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agreed. You don't have a pic do you? I'll be doing something similar with newborn, 8, & 12 yr old at times
Mav Pic2.jpg
Unfortunately I don't. I was in a hurry when I was test driving it and didn't do it then but went back a few days later and threw them all in to check.

I have a 2014 Forester and the fit was nearly identical with the little wrinkle of the rear latch. The Mav gains about an inch in width (hip and shoulder) but sacrifices an inch in the leg room department.

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Seat Models:

The Set up:

Cars.com is weak.
She reviews most vehicles, including several compact SUVs, and grades their car seat compatibility

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
She reviews most vehicles, including several compact SUVs, and grades their car seat compatibility
Well it seems awfully subjective to me and she should put a little more effort into trying.

Sponsored

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Putting car seats in the Maverick is pretty awful. After struggling to get mine in, another family member asked to borrow it. Immediately went to Walmart and just bought another one rather than pull mine.

Reactions: PCL

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford should have split the rear seat bottom into 2 pieces so if you had a car seat on one side you could still open the other side for storage.

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bump.

Has anyone tried this for daily use yet? Or any other combo?
I've got another year before my first is out of a booster, many years before the younger two, so getting three in the back safely would be great for us!
I haven't daily driven it but did confirm while contemplating an EB AWD early on. The seats I used are listed above.

The important thing, or one of them, to look for is rear hip room in a vehicle. I currently have a 2022 Honda CRV Hybrid with a paltry 48 inches of rear hip room. You simply cannot get 3 - 16 inch wide boosters in a CRV, it doesn't work.

The hip room in a Mav is 54.1 inches. 6 inches doesn't sound like a whole lot but it is. The rear seat is also basically flat which is nice for car seats and fitment.

The Mav is a little tight on leg room, or if you had a rear facing child seat, the backs of the front seat. You're going to have the front passenger forward a lot they would be uncomfortable.

As long as all 3 seats are facing forward, and you use the slim models (google will give you a bunch of options) for your car seats and you'll be fine.

PCL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline (stopped waiting on Maverick)
Well it seems awfully subjective to me and she should put a little more effort into trying.
If it's subjective, it sure is odd that every reviewer comes to the same conclusion...

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If it's subjective, it sure is odd that every reviewer comes to the same conclusion...
About 3 seats in the rear of the Mav? That's interesting I hadn't seen any additional ones.

Sponsored
OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for all the details. I'm guessing the easiest for the middle kid would be to climb in from the front seat or is there enough room for a 5 year old to squeeze past a car seat and climb into his booster?
Rear facing will present issues in a lot of vehicles including the Maverick. A child would not be able to crawl past a rear facing seat into the booster.

Front facing? No issue.

velvetsMT

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, F250. F350
You can't use three seats with latch at the same time as there are only two sets of latch it's in the manual on page 37. "Do not attach a child restraint to any lower anchor if an adjacent child restraint is attached to that anchor." " If you did not properly anchor the child restraint, the risk of a child being injured in a crash greatly increases. "
Sponsored