Sponsored

Best 3D Printer for Mav and related Constructs?

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You might have to upgrade components to deal with those higher temperatures. In my case, that'd mean a high- temperature tube.
This is biting me in the butt now with the Ender 3 at work. The teflon tube they're using can't handle the high temp required by PETG, at least not if you want to print quickly. They had to crank the print speed down, and now the cubby prototype I made is going to take 24 hours to print. None of us are particularly optimistic the printer can go that long without futzing up.
Sponsored

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Capricorn Tubes makes one (possibly two) that can handle PETG. I'd strongly advise upgrading if that's what your limiting factor is. And I've gotten way better results with a "cap tube" than the stock one.

Like I said, they can be fiddly.

Kl0ck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is biting me in the butt now with the Ender 3 at work. The teflon tube they're using can't handle the high temp required by PETG, at least not if you want to print quickly. They had to crank the print speed down, and now the cubby prototype I made is going to take 24 hours to print. None of us are particularly optimistic the printer can go that long without futzing up.
Yep I call that enderxiety :) I had to upgrade the tubing, temperature monitor, heater core, and print a whole new print head setup for mine before I could print PETG reliably. Now that I have, it's rock solid.

Doing it all again, I'd just buy a prusa :)

zakstang

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
my first and only printer is an ender3 v2...its been pretty solid once I got bed level...i knew nothing about 3d printing and was going to get a prusa but this ender was cheaper...heard alot of great things about prusa too...

Zorgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Jetta
I just bought a ender 3 pro. Another MVC members posted a $100 off coupon for it (brought it down to $100) at microcenter if you have one near you.

It is kinda fiddly, but im a bit of a nerd and I’ve been having a blast with it because of that a bit. I have an auto leveling kit arriving today because that’s the only thing I’m kinda struggling with getting perfect.
Here is the coupon for microcenter- ends April 2 https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/specialoffer3dprinter.aspx

Sponsored

Terrenceyao

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus grey 2022 hybrid maverick XLT lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ender 3 S1. Pretty much the ender 3 v2 with all the upgrades that you will end up doing anyway. ~$430 and I don’t have to fiddle with it. I did take my time assembling it and making sure everything was square. I have not had to relevel the plate in the 2 months that I’ve been using it.

bringjustn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cruze, 22 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If working with a budget I'd recommend an Ender 3 (especially if by a Micro Center and the sale is still going on)
If not working with a budget look towards something with a build chamber and dual extruders. I use a Stratasys F170 for ABS and ASA prints (work paid for it, but would not recommend, also price of the truck)

At home I mostly use an Ender 3 with a microswiss direct drive extruder, but also have a Robo 3d R1, a Monoprice MP1, and a reprap I built in 09. I had a makergear M2 which was a good printer, but not worth the price compared to an Ender 3.

You pay for turn key printers that you dont have to do a ton of messing with, but eventually you will have to work on a printer. I'd recommend come up with your budget, then size requirements, then look for features like heated build chamber (or build one yourself if you want to get large ABS or Petg prints to come out), dual extruders are nice if you want to do complicated structures with support material that melts away or multicolor prints, but it isn't at all necessary. Lastly look for a company with an active community on FB or a forum, so you can get help when something stops working for some reason.

Koybot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 A51FE
I recently got an ANYCUBIC VYPER as my first printer and so far it has worked very well and i am happy with it. Printed with a variety of filaments and no major troubles other than fiddling with a few temp changes
build quality seems solid and a fair price, easy to use interface with a dedicated screen onboard. heated bed that handles one of the 3 axis movements, magnetic plate also makes for easy removal of prints.

FITS accessories are to be printed this weekend with my FE in the driveway now, i am hyped!
Sponsored