Sponsored

Benefit to using Eco mode on highway driving?

Barksdale123

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Is there a benefit to using theEco mode on hwy driving like interstate ?
Sponsored

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am not sure. I doubt it is causing any harm and I think if you are using cruise control it may offer a bit better mileage. No proof of that, however. :unsure: I do know I get tired of putting it back in eco when I want it, so I just leave it there. Lazy, perhaps!!

MavVoyeur

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I tried driving several tanks in only normal and only eco mode. I only noticed about a 15-20 mile difference in total miles for the tank. Decided pushing the drive mode button every time I got in the truck wasn't worth it. My driving is pretty mixed. About 60 miles of highway a day and 10 city in my commute.

OP
OP
Barksdale123

Barksdale123

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I am not sure. I doubt it is causing any harm and I think if you are using cruise control it may offer a bit better mileage. No proof of that, however. :unsure: I do know I get tired of putting it back in eco when I want it, so I just leave it there. Lazy, perhaps!!
MKG!

midcoastme

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 PT Cruisers & Maverick Lariat Hybrid.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

After reading some of the articles about the features, I want to believe that when using the adaptive cruise, acceleration is more gradual than normal mode, especially after slowing for merging traffic, then accelerating.

Sponsored

GreenLady

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250 Diesel, 1968 Cadillac Eldorado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After reading some of the articles about the features, I want to believe that when using the adaptive cruise, acceleration is more gradual than normal mode, especially after slowing for merging traffic, then accelerating.
I drive in eco mode 100% of the time with 1 450 mile OW trip a month in my hybrid. I did try normal mode on a couple trips and found my mpg go down about 3-4 miles.

I use adaptive cc all the time and I can say acceleration in the mountains of NC is not slowed down at all! As a matter of fact I now disable cruise prior acceleration getting ready to kick in Because it’s like a jack rabbit.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I tend to use "slippery" mode most of the time - just tap the button 3 times immediately after starting the engine. But when using Adaptive Cruise Control, if feels to me like the ACC is not calibrated properly to work well with "slippery" mode's reduced regenerative braking. It seems to delay slowing/braking until I'm on the verge of panic-braking myself... (And even in "normal" mode, it waits a good bit longer than is comfortable to me before it begins actually braking - especially when you're coming up behind stationary traffic, such as at a red light.)

So I have lately been going back to "normal" mode when using ACC. I really need to try it with "eco" mode to see if that mode feels better...

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat ; 2016 Linc Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Is there a benefit to using theEco mode on hwy driving like interstate ?
i have not done a deep dive into ECO vs normal modes re:mpg . i drive maybe 75/25 local/highway and use eco 95% of the time. when on the highway using normal cruise(my Lariet hybrid dosent have ACC) i have observed some performance differences, nost notably a noticeable 'lag' when using the cruise + steering button in eco as opposed to much better response in normal mode. steering wheel cruise button speed decrease inputs appear to be identical in either mode with rapid response to inputs. i have read elsewhere that eco is more efficient at recapturing energy from regenerative braking but have no way to measure that since there is no display of the hybrid battery charge status. i sure would like a hybrid battery gauge option. my biggest impact to mpg isnt driving modes,its my darling brides lead foot and complete indifference to hitting a button 4 times when she drives this truck. oh well she does have SEVERAL other redeeming qualities ;)

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i have read elsewhere that eco is more efficient at recapturing energy from regenerative braking but have no way to measure that since there is no display of the hybrid battery charge status. i sure would like a hybrid battery gauge option.
It's not really more efficient in regard regenerative braking, it just applies more of it naturally. Which in some circumstances actually makes it less efficient where you'd be better coasting than getting slowed down by the regen. That's why Slippery (which applies least regen) and watching the regen gauge braking can potentially yield higher results.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@JimParker is correct in info regarding Slippery mode. I just have a habit of pressing that button 3 times - count to 3 and go. I do a lot of longer trips and find that there is a 3-4 mpg difference in Slippery mode, especially if there are hills involved. Just noticed yesterday that I was in electric mode going down most hills at 73 mph cruise setting. I actually find it better than eco mode.

Sponsored

kerrlaw1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i have not done a deep dive into ECO vs normal modes re:mpg . i drive maybe 75/25 local/highway and use eco 95% of the time. when on the highway using normal cruise(my Lariet hybrid dosent have ACC) i have observed some performance differences, nost notably a noticeable 'lag' when using the cruise + steering button in eco as opposed to much better response in normal mode. steering wheel cruise button speed decrease inputs appear to be identical in either mode with rapid response to inputs. i have read elsewhere that eco is more efficient at recapturing energy from regenerative braking but have no way to measure that since there is no display of the hybrid battery charge status. i sure would like a hybrid battery gauge option. my biggest impact to mpg isnt driving modes,its my darling brides lead foot and complete indifference to hitting a button 4 times when she drives this truck. oh well she does have SEVERAL other redeeming qualities ;)

kerrlaw1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It may be a little solace because looking down to select different modes is a safety issue I think 🤔

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I did it once and compared without ECO mode on the way back. It was like barely a 2 MPG difference.

SloopJB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick FX4 ECO/AWD Cactus Gray XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I drove south on I-35 from Dallas to Temple Texas cruising at 70 mph with my Ecoboost FX4. I reset Trip 1 before the trip and averaged 27 mpg in Normal. On the way home, I drove at 70 again, but this time in Eco (I have added it with FORScan). I averaged 35 mpg going north.

No serious wind, only typical up and down with the terrain. It is hard for me to believe there was actually that much difference.
Sponsored