First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Pilot, 2018 Honda Accord
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just put on the Maxxis RAZR AT's on my 2022 Lariat FX4. Glad I went with the 245-65-17. Fills up the Wheel well space. They look so aggressive... Thx Naranjita, for a great post and updates...

Ford Maverick 245/65-17 MAXXIS RAZR AT's on my Cyber Orange Lariat Maverick IMG_6171
Ford Maverick 245/65-17 MAXXIS RAZR AT's on my Cyber Orange Lariat Maverick IMG_6172
Ford Maverick 245/65-17 MAXXIS RAZR AT's on my Cyber Orange Lariat Maverick IMG_6173
Ford Maverick 245/65-17 MAXXIS RAZR AT's on my Cyber Orange Lariat Maverick IMG_6174
Sponsored

OP
OP
Naranjita

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
**WEAR UPDATE**OUT OF WARRANTY**

I made it over 60,000 miles! Some thought these would wear early, or unevenly. I even wondered myself. I rotated every 5-8K miles. Approx 6/32 tread remaining. Ranges on my recent spot check were between 6.0 to 7.0. So pretty evenly worn. It started at 15/32.

For me, it is about time to replace them. Performance is definitely starting to reduce. Performance loss started around 40-50,000 miles (approx 9-10/32nds remaining tread). Wet road performance is not as good, and snow performance is definitely reduced. It felt like the deeper rubber was much firmer that the outer rubber as it wore through the layers. So it became less grippy and there was less tread depth to evacuate water and snow.

On a passenger car, I would probably run my tires down to 4-5/32nds. But not for an All Terrain. Especially since I need to get to work very early on snowy/icy days.

I am super satisfied with these tires. I would fully recommend them and I would buy them again without hesitation. They are not only one of the coolest looking AT's, but they are just extremely versatile and hardy! I have had zero punctures or repairs required. I don't think that has ever happened with me and any vehicle over 60,000 miles.

Also, a noteworthy thing is my gas mileage has improved the whole time I've had these tires. My most recent tank was over 30 MPG. I do live at sea level. But a similar tank when I first started driving these tires would have probably been 26-27 MPG. I do know that vehicles improve gas mileage usually the first 50k miles or so. But I guess I am making the point that these tires did not really negatively hinder mileage. I do have the towing rear end on my Maverick.

Some notes about performance:
  • Dry Pavement: No reduction in performance until approx 50k miles. Now the rear end will want to break lose when pulling very sharp G's on the back. Still holds pretty darn well though. Also, more likely to break loose traction when taking off hard acceleration from a stop, especially with the wheel torqued. Before 50k miles, these things were just super grippy on dry pavement.
  • Wet/Slickened Roads: There was no reduction in performance until 40,000 miles. It has steadily reduced performance in wet conditions after 40k miles. Not bad, not dangerous. But noticeable. Now at 60k miles, it is much easier to lose grip when pushing the limits of the traction. I have to take more care and be more cautious. No more driving through puddles at 75 mph!
  • Snow: No difference in performance below 40k miles. By 50k miles, the difference is significant. Takes a lot more care. Far less traction and much easier to break loose. If you are looking for very good snow performance, don't run these things all the way to 60k miles. I wouldn't say they are dangerous in their current state. But when it comes to snow performance, they are definitely diminished when the tread depth gets less than 10/32nds. Now have to drive more carefully and thoughtfully. No longer a billy goat.
  • Mud/Dirt: They do pretty well still in dirt and gravel. Just a little performance loss. They are awful in the mud now. I stopped to help my daughter in the rain. Her car broke down. In order to get off the road enough from passing vehicles, I had to park slightly on an incline into a side drainage ditch. When ready to leave, I couldn't get enough traction to get going in the grassy mud, and I actually ended up sliding sideways in the ditch. I don't blame the tires for the failure. I knew they used 90% of their useful life. I also probably should have put it in Mud mode. I over throttled when I started to slide. However, I believe if the RAZR's were new, I would have had enough grip to take off where I started. My truck was not damaged even though I slid into a thorny blackberry bramble. A nice guy with a RAM dually pulled me out before AAA got there.
In closing, these are amazing tires. And like with all AT tires, they lose grip and performance as you lose tread depth. But an average tread loss of 1/32nd every 7k miles is pretty darn good for an AT. Especially one that performs this well and at this price point.

What's next?

I really want to get either KO3's or Nitto Terra Grappler G2's if I can get them at a good price. I watch closely for sales and mark downs. It's possible I could get the RAZR's again if they come up for the price I paid or better. But recent pricing checks shows them getting more expensive.

If I need to get something for less money, I may consider getting the Predator New Mutant XAT. They are cool looking, and sometimes can be quite inexpensive if you shop around. It only has 50,000 mile warranty.

I'm not running out to buy new tires right away, because I may be getting a Ranger Raptor. I have a dealer agree to sell me their one allotment for MSRP and I gave them a deposit. But I'm not holding my breath! The deal may fall through. And if it does, then I will just go down and by a really nice set of tires. :)

Ford Maverick 245/65-17 MAXXIS RAZR AT's on my Cyber Orange Lariat Maverick PXL_20240206_230553411

Ford Maverick 245/65-17 MAXXIS RAZR AT's on my Cyber Orange Lariat Maverick PXL_20240206_230537770

Ford Maverick 245/65-17 MAXXIS RAZR AT's on my Cyber Orange Lariat Maverick PXL_20240213_030649153