First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I purchased a 2022 Maverick last May. I'm really satisfied with the truck except for one thing. When the truck sits for any amount of time, while backing up, as soon as I apply the brake pedal, the brakes ( front I think ) squeal quite loudly. I've been to the dealership twice and they seem to know about the problem, but they say if they inspect them they won't find anything wrong. Anybody else have this problem? Not sure what to do and I want to make sure it's fixed before warranty runs out. I hope someone can help.
Sponsored

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Brake rotor rust likely. Mine has the same issue, let it sit overnight and it’s the worst grinding/jarring I’ve experienced in a newer vehicle. It sounds and feels like the wheels are locking up badly. Driving it and it’s ok within a few minutes.

I don’t have this issue with my other vehicles, those it’s simply a slight grind/metal rubbing sound that disappears within seconds. Then again the brakes are really sensitive from my experience on the Maverick compared to those.

It’s likely just cheap rotors from the factory, maybe resurfacing will help but who knows. Worth asking the dealer to take a look at them in my opinion.

Last edited:

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My '87 Ranger was like this, first thing in the morning backing out the driveway, every day. Only squeal. Replaced those brakes at over 100k miles. Our current Miata does this too when it sits several days. After first brake use the squeal is gone. Just surface rust on the rotors from high humidity or other moisture.

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I purchased a 2022 Maverick last May. I'm really satisfied with the truck except for one thing. When the truck sits for any amount of time, while backing up, as soon as I apply the brake pedal, the brakes ( front I think ) squeal quite loudly. I've been to the dealership twice and they seem to know about the problem, but they say if they inspect them they won't find anything wrong. Anybody else have this problem? Not sure what to do and I want to make sure it's fixed before warranty runs out. I hope someone can help.
This is a curse of disc brakes, and it will remain forever. Just sitting overnight, there is enough humidity in the air to put a fine coat of "rust" on the discs. The first time you brake, it will remove the coat. The other curse: drive thru water deep enough to get the discs wet, put on the brakes, and NOTHING HAPPENS. Scary.

Emc66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007Mustang GT 2021 BSBB 2023 Mavrick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s the whale call, common on Maverick, Bronco Sport and Escapes. I believe it’s Combination of crap pads and rotors.

Sponsored

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When you finally replace your rotors, make sure that you select the higher-priced coated rotors from aftermarket suppliers. They don't rust up nearly as much.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I purchased a 2022 Maverick last May. I'm really satisfied with the truck except for one thing. When the truck sits for any amount of time, while backing up, as soon as I apply the brake pedal, the brakes ( front I think ) squeal quite loudly.
It's common on many vehicles and is usually the cheap OEM brake pads/rotors. It's doubtful the dealer will do anything about it, either, nor will the Ford bot on here, that asked for your VIN.

I live in a humid climate and I've had two vehicles that did this. Replacing the pads & rotors with more expensive ones may get rid of the noise. I never found the mild annoyance worth the expense of upgrading them.
Sponsored