JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, Triumph TR3, Hybrid Maverick 1-18-23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just curious but how much does it cost to get the analysis done.? Looks like you are good to go!

Hey guys,

Thought some people might be interested in my Blackstone results for engine oil.

I did the initial oil change at 1000 Miles and then did an oil change at 5000 miles (so 4000 miles on oil) oil sample on the 5000 mile oil change.

Tons of mountain driving on this oil cycle.

I run a catch can on this truck by the way, and I empty it everytime I put gas in the car. A weird water/fuel/oil mixture.

I will most likely do 4000-5000 mile oil changes from here on out.

Screenshot_20230327_221949.jpg

OP
OP

801Maverick801

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just curious but how much does it cost to get the analysis done.? Looks like you are good to go!
Blackstone will send you the kits for free. 30$ for the analysis.

OP
OP

801Maverick801

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The "catch can" has nothing to do with fuel into oil dilution......
Yeah it actually can effect it. You are keeping more fuel vapor from entering the combustion chamber and Ecoboosts are known for blow by. How significant? I have no idea. But another user on here with 2200 miles on oil with no catch can reported on his analysis alot more fuel in his oil than mine with half the miles as me.

Sponsored

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah it actually can effect it. You are keeping more fuel vapor from entering the combustion chamber and Ecoboosts are known for blow by. How significant? I have no idea. But another user on here with 2200 miles on oil with no catch can reported on his analysis alot more fuel in his oil than mine with half the miles as me.
I highly doubt "blowby" is a problem with an Ecoboost. Take your oil fill cap off with engine running. Do you note significant blow by?
You want fuel vapor in the combustion chamber....
The catch can, if indeed effective at anything is simply to reduce the amount of oil introduced into the intake manifold. It may well be effective. Or not. That would reduce coking/carbon in the intake tract.

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oil analysis is around $30 as mentioned. You can also get a TBN report added for another $10. That tells you how much life your additive package has left and is a major factor in determining oil change interval.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I always use Motorcraft oil myself in all my regular vehicles. Except for leaky jeeps, their top offs may vary. But always Motorcraft at oil changes. My 74 Maverick with the hot 306 always got Royal Purple and 15-20years ago before I used Motorcraft I used Mobil-1. Just looking things up Motorcraft is made by ConocoPhillips of Texas in partnership with S-oil of S. Korea. The end product is a blend owned by FoMoCo, though ConocoPhillips assist with distribution.

I've never been a discount oil guy and never will. Especially after one day buying some emergency oil after oil pan gasket damage at a gas station in the hood of Dayton, OH. I think it was called Bullseye. That stuff was a thin a alcohol.

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey guys,

Thought some people might be interested in my Blackstone results for engine oil.

I did the initial oil change at 1000 Miles and then did an oil change at 5000 miles (so 4000 miles on oil) oil sample on the 5000 mile oil change.

Tons of mountain driving on this oil cycle.

I run a catch can on this truck by the way, and I empty it everytime I put gas in the car. A weird water/fuel/oil mixture.

I will most likely do 4000-5000 mile oil changes from here on out.

Screenshot_20230327_221949.jpg
very interesting, but what did the experts say about it? Also, I presume 5W-30 is the correct wt? I do not have A MAV yet, but everything seams to be going to 0W-20 wt oil.

OP
OP

801Maverick801

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I always use Motorcraft oil myself in all my regular vehicles. Except for leaky jeeps, their top offs may vary. But always Motorcraft at oil changes. My 74 Maverick with the hot 306 always got Royal Purple and 15-20years ago before I used Motorcraft I used Mobil-1. Just looking things up Motorcraft is made by ConocoPhillips of Texas in partnership with S-oil of S. Korea. The end product is a blend owned by FoMoCo, though ConocoPhillips assist with distribution.

I've never been a discount oil guy and never will. Especially after one day buying some emergency oil after oil pan gasket damage at a gas station in the hood of Dayton, OH. I think it was called Bullseye. That stuff was a thin a alcohol.
Not sure if you are trying to call the Kirkland Signature "Discount oil", but it exceeds API specifications and is Dexos approved. You would never have an issue running this oil if you had decent oil change intervals.

Sponsored
OP
OP

801Maverick801

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
very interesting, but what did the experts say about it? Also, I presume 5W-30 is the correct wt? I do not have A MAV yet, but everything seams to be going to 0W-20 wt oil.
Read the comments section on the report for what the experts think. 5W30 for Ecoboost, 0W20 for Hybrid according to Ford.

OP
OP

801Maverick801

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oil analysis is around $30 as mentioned. You can also get a TBN report added for another $10. That tells you how much life your additive package has left and is a major factor in determining oil change interval.
Im gonna get the TBN for the next analysis.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Not sure if you are trying to call the Kirkland Signature "Discount oil", but it exceeds API specifications and is Dexos approved. You would never have an issue running this oil if you had decent oil change intervals.
No, no, no there is a whole level of oil that costco wouldnt even think about selling, maybe a Odd Lots/Big Lots would sell it. Just mentioning my preferences, generally I always run the Motorcraft blend and their filter. Im sure I wouldnt have and issue but for $5-10 and oil change extra it would take a years worth of oil changes to pay for analysis for piece of mind. Either way thankyou for your research so others dont worry.

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
people still waste money on these? :LOL:
Sponsored