Question about Lug nuts with Bronco Sport tires

valen2384

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Hi All, anyone know if it matters which lug nut(Spinedrive or Cone seat) to use from Mcgard for the Maverick using the Big bend tires? Im trying to pick out which to get and would like some advice if possible because I am confused about this. Thanks in advance!

Ford Maverick Question about Lug nuts with Bronco Sport tires Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 10.17.13 PM

Ford Maverick Question about Lug nuts with Bronco Sport tires Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 10.16.38 PM
Sponsored

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
I have been reviewing this for the Mav, it uses that 14x1.5mm.

But heres where it gets tricky, discount tire sells them so I went to see what they were going to sell me, well it wasnt good, they wanted to sell me the 150/250/350, which are 2" long. These will work or should I say they will hold your rims on, but not correctly. The conical seat was small, would they work yes, did it look safe?

So i contacted Gorilla to see what they have and its the stubby(1.5") that is the correct lug nut.

Heres what is important The stubby has a conical seat that is at least twice the size of the 2" ones they are trying to sell people, then theres the extra .5" length where as the lug shoulder will extend out past the wheel rims(some people like this look).

And finally people ask what difference that large conical seat is supposed to make, well as we see the Mav has 5 lugs Vs. 6 or 8.
The tow weight and vehicle capacity is calculated using the wide seat and anything less will diminish the specs, so if you load or tow...Theres another reason why the lugs are torque spec to 150ft lbs.

Hope this clarifies some safety concerns

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What do lug nuts have to do with tires?

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow its tire dependent, sorry for my long post..

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
John you got my dream vehicles, I just have an S code 69 Mach 1..

Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
valen2384

valen2384

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow its tire dependent, sorry for my long post..
i appreciate your reply in your original post. I consider this tire dependent to without lugs you have no tires. Still a bit confused but from what I am understanding is that the length it sticks out from the rim/bolt is a safety concern not that its the right thread correct? do you recommend any particular lug nuts?

OP
OP
valen2384

valen2384

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do lug nuts have to do with tires?

Without the right lug nuts you have no tires to put up. So i consider these co dependent topics. Hence my question and like i stated before i appreciate Mach1 reply about this.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
John you got my dream vehicles, I just have an S code 69 Mach 1..
LOL. Nothing wrong at all with a nice 390 car. I’ve owned a long string of Boss and Shelby cars too. I sold my rare build 70 B2 to a gentleman in New Zealand. Only have a few fun cars left as I’m getting older..

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Without the right lug nuts you have no tires to put up. So i consider these co dependent topics. Hence my question and like i stated before i appreciate Mach1 reply about this.
Your question has zero to do with tires. Your question is about the BS wheels which are similar to the Maverick. You need lug nuts for a Maverick for Bronco Sport wheels if that’s what you are using. If you truly only have Bronco Sport tires, there’s no need to change anything else.
Good luck

Last edited:
Sponsored

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Whatever you settle upon, be glad they're not attached to a Toyota.

Toyota issued a global recall of its 2023 bZ4X electric crossover SUV less than two months after the vehicle was released. The automaker said the hub bolts on the wheel can become loose while driving, which could cause the entire wheel to detach. Naturally, Toyota is warning owners not to drive their vehicles until the problem is fixed.

OP
OP
valen2384

valen2384

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever you settle upon, be glad they're not attached to a Toyota.
yeah that is concerning. Im trying to be as safe as possible since i have a toddler that goes up and down with me 24/7.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am glad you are taking safety into consideration, and lugs are a huge conversation on safety of any vehicle.

You want to get it right, I am not familiar with the wheel/tire combo, just visual check the seat on the wheels and see if it needs the wider conical seat, you will know exactly what I am talking about if you pull a lug nut.

Make sure it matches the seat and I would not recomend the 'long' lug nuts(2").

I have the correct Gorilla part number if you want to look at their specs, for the OEM Maverick wheels.
Sponsored