First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Focus SVT, 2024 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't get me wrong...Tesla's are fun cars to drive and I actually seriously considered buying a Model 3 before my Maverick was finally delivered. I am an Engineer by trade and I appreciate a lot of what they are doing to reduce costs. Some of these end up costing the consumer HUGE down the road....Some are just strange to me.
  • Glass Roof....Why? The "ultimate sunroof" looks cool but has a huge replacement cost if a rock gets airborne and breaks it. Replacing a $2k roof panel because of rock chips raises insurance costs.
  • Gigacasting.....Yes, manufacturing efficiency is greatly increased by turning a bunch of small parts that are welded together into one giant Hotwheels casting. The biggest downside is a relatively minor accident will not be easily repairable and the car will be totaled. This also results in higher insurance costs.
  • Electric "presenting" door handles.....is the miniscule amount of drag reduction worth all the added complexity and issues? ie: Icing up in the winter and safety issues in the event of an accident.
  • Doors with frameless windows. I'm sure this was another way for Tesla to reduce manufacturing costs, by utilizing smaller stamping dies, or just simply using less material. I believe that most car manufacturers have gone away from this because it is hard to engineer a gasket to seal the window properly. I rented a brand new Tesla and the seals were already coming apart.
  • Eliminating the speedometer above the steering wheel. Potentially less safe having to look to the side to see your speed. This was obviously a way to reduce manufacturing costs and increase profits at a cost of driver safety.
  • Eliminating the gear selector and turn signal stalks. The new Model 3 has barely any physical controls outside of the touchscreen. I personally don't care for this. I feel it is less safe to have to swipe through touchscreen menus than to click a traditional tactile button. Another cost reduction win for Tesla.
With all this being said....I like that they are leading innovation and really questioning every single nut bolt and washer on the vehicle. I just wish that they would make a normal freaking vehicle at a reasonable price. Not everyone needs or wants 8 cameras and a 20 inch touchscreen.

Rant over.
Sponsored

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buy an oldskool Maverick instead, and your problems are solved. Its has real buttons, actual door handles, a much smaller sunroof if you get one at all, real window frames, the speedo is in the correct place, it has a turn signal stalk and a gear selector (albeit not a traditional one). Best of all, its 1/3 of the price and actually hauls real stuff.

OP
OP
MachinistRandy

MachinistRandy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Focus SVT, 2024 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buy an oldskool Maverick instead, and your problems are solved. Its has real buttons, actual door handles, a much smaller sunroof if you get one at all, real window frames, the speedo is in the correct place, it has a turn signal stalk and a gear selector (albeit not a traditional one). Best of all, its 1/3 of the price and actually hauls real stuff.
I did! I have about 1300 miles on it and its been great so far.
Ford Maverick Why doesn't Tesla Build a Normal Car? 1705520879482

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Greed

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Teslas and other electric cars are high priced disposable junk. The only reason the prices to buy are not higher is the federal subsidies to try to make them more affordable. The trade in value on any of these EVs is terrible.

1. Range anxiety is real
2. Random battery fires are real
3. Totals from minor accidents are real
4. Climbing insurance rates are real
5. Trade in values in the toilet are real
6. EV towing range sucks is real
7. Wintertime causing up to a 30% loss off battery charge is real

Oh I'm sure there is a lot more with these high priced science experiments. You couldent give me one.
Sponsored

Last edited: