What will $25K USD buy?

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
I was just browsing a Hyundai Santa Cruz forum. Folks over there are speculating (based on the Santa Fe and Tucson) that the pricing on the Santa Cruz will much more in line with the Ridgline. Over $30,000 for AWD. So, if speculation here on pricing is close to correct, the Maverick could be the bargain.
Sponsored

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like even a base Santa Cruz will still have lots of tech and frills not to mention a bigger engine and such. My guess is you won't see it for under $27k. I hope Ford will target a different market. Otherwise they will only be competing with the Ranger. Get below even $25k for a decent Maverick and they will have that niche to themselves. The Maverick needs to be what the original Ranger once was.

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
I just want a small cheap AWD truck that doesn't need sandbags in the back in the winter and can stand basic abuse of dogs , tools, generator and occasionally lumber.
The engine can be small, hell I drove a 90 horsepower Datsun pickup in the day.
Our 1992 Suzuki sidekick has 96 horsepower rated, you can take it on the interstate but it won't be a lot of fun! It has a 5.125 rear end, it's doing 4,000 RPMs at 70 and needs to! Still a very useful vehicle.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
I was thinking about a Maverick with 2WD and the 3 cylinder engine. I was wondering how it would compare to the 1985 Nissan 720 sitting in front of my house. Full disclosure, the Nissan has no compression in any cylinder. But, even a Maverick with 2WD and a tiny engine will offer much more. First off, safety. Second, way more space in the cab. But also things we take for granted these days. Backup camera, bluetooth phone integration, power windows, air conditioning, less noise, a sound system, an easy way to charge a phone.

I was thinking about rebuilding or replacing the engine in the Nissan. I even did some research on converting it to electric. But came to the conclusion that even if I did that, I'd still have the most basic truck money could buy in 1985. So, I know a guy who wants to tear the engine down and he is getting a free Nissan and I am waiting to see what the most basic truck money can buy in 2021 or 2022 will have to offer.
Sponsored