Melyssa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Finally (mostly) finished with cargo trailer conversion, which still needs some tweaking and a few things added for comfort/storage.

Took the "Pikey Palace" out for a trial run this weekend. Originally had plans to go camping elsewhere but Hurricane Idalia just happened to hit central and northern FL, anywhere we were halfway interested in exploring- found that many campgrounds in FL were unexpectedly closed for cleanup when making online reservations. We kept it relatively close to home for this first trip. Had a great time, but probably won't go back to this particular campground because it wasn't set up for the most private of camping trips.

Started with a 6x10 V-nose cargo trailer that was pre-wired for electric and already insulated per ordering instructions, along with added windows. Mind you, I passed wood shop with a C in middle school and lack the Jeff Spicoli "ultimate set of tools" to go for a crazy build like some people can do, but this setup gets the job done. I didn't want to take on the job of cutting holes for windows or floors, roof mounted AC units, etc. A carpenter I am not. We routed the AC exhaust through the front window rather than the floors. Worked like a charm.

The first set of pictures shows the aftermath of "the morning after." Two people and one dog in 60sf of space make for interesting living arrangements.

Came home from camping trip and took everything out of the V nose and available front standing room and rebuilt to keep things better organized. (Second set of photos.) I think this arrangement will work much better and gives plenty of counter space. Need baskets and whatnot to hang in the front of the V-nose for kitchen organization, which will be added before the next trip in October. I'm all about "at your fingertips" grab to find stuff. The bigger stuff all fits underneath the beds, and there's a dining room table that sets up as well in-between the beds that goes into the center to make a queen sized (or larger) bed. Probably could have slept three people if everyone were really good friends. ;)

I'll probably wait until next year to add a solar power setup. If there's anyone in the general Orlando/Daytona area who can advise on setup, I'd love to hear from you. That project is for the serious boon docking camping we'll be doing in the future. I'll also save the addition of solar power (and a rooftop rack for said setup) to also implement a shower/water system as well on the outside of the camper.

As for the Maverick's part in all of this - ol' Lepton pulled like a champ. Dry weight of trailer is 1100lbs. With all the extra stuff in there maybe an additional 400lbs. Beds were the heaviest part of the build. The fridge and AC are an easy lift for me as a woman and probably weigh 40+/- pounds each.

As an aside, the woods in FL are full of TICKS. Found at least five on me the first night and one yesterday. They're so tiny they look like grains of red beach sand. I'll probably be picking ticks out of places one should never have ticks for the next week or so. Bring on the cold weather!

messy kitchen.jpeg

messy kitchen2.jpeg

messyBR.jpeg

kitchen.jpeg

bedroom.jpeg

bedroom2.jpeg
WOW you did a great job! I follow a lot of nomads on YouTube (CheapRVLiving.com) is one and many people build out cargo trailers like yours. There is so much potential for what can be done in those trailers, it's really amazing how nice you can make them. Good luck in your travels, maybe I'll cross paths with you on the road some day.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
WOW you did a great job! I follow a lot of nomads on YouTube (CheapRVLiving.com) is one and many people build out cargo trailers like yours. There is so much potential for what can be done in those trailers, it's really amazing how nice you can make them. Good luck in your travels, maybe I'll cross paths with you on the road some day.
Thank you! There's probably a lot more we could have done to it, but it came pre-insulated and we didn't want to start drilling into the walls too much for fear of hitting wiring. It's a simple but functional build for two people and a 20lb dog.

If you come to FL, Cape San Blas/ Port St. Joe is a must see. Rather post-apocalyptic looking after the 2018 hurricanes, but the beaches were amazing.

Trying to get to Key West here in the next few months. I suck as a native Floridian and have never been!

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Went to key West in 70s it was great . have gone in last 5 years and really commercialize now . not as much fun . use to go to everglades National Park . was good camping and wildlife viewing . we liked long pine key campground ( less mosquitoes ) and now they have solar showers . haven't been since before covid .
Sponsored