David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

I've had my truck for a little over a week (Terrain Lariat Hybrid). I've never had a truck before and really like it so far. I have two Dwarf Nigerian Goats and get two bales of hay for them every couple of months. For years I've used our Honda Odyssey to get the hay, and its always been a pain to vacuum it out afterwards. The day after I got the Maverick I went and got two bales, which worked fine (see pictures). Now I want to add a tonneau cover, and after looking I've come to realize that retractables won't really be a good choice for me since the canister takes up close to a foot). I'm leaning towards getting the Bakflip MX4, but after doing a little measuring I probably still won't be able to fit two bales in the bed with the tailgate closed (the bales measure about 48x24x15), since I'm guessing that even with the cover opened all the way, they won't quite fit. I'm in California, and from what I understand, I can have the bales hang out the back with the tailgate open as long as I put a red piece of cloth/flag on them? Anyway, any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

I'm not used to doing truck stuff since I've been driving convertibles for the last 30 years. I have a 2014 Camaro convertible that I'm keeping just for fun and it only has 76,000 miles on it. My wife likes practical vehicles like the Odyssey (we've also always had minivans) and she really likes the Maverick. The Camaro is red with a tan top and she calls it the dumb blonde, since it can't do anything other than look pretty...

Ford Maverick Tri-Fold Bed Cover and Two Bales of Hay 20240215_155315

Ford Maverick Tri-Fold Bed Cover and Two Bales of Hay 20240215_155324 (1)

Ford Maverick Tri-Fold Bed Cover and Two Bales of Hay 20240225_160354
Sponsored

DinoLord

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 XL EB AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The flag should only be required if it hangs past the end of the tailgate. Throw a strap around them and send it.

SLH13

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Allegra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick (on order)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hi all,

I've had my truck for a little over a week (Terrain Lariat Hybrid). I've never had a truck before and really like it so far. I have two Dwarf Nigerian Goats and get two bales of hay for them every couple of months. For years I've used our Honda Odyssey to get the hay, and its always been a pain to vacuum it out afterwards. The day after I got the Maverick I went and got two bales, which worked fine (see pictures). Now I want to add a tonneau cover, and after looking I've come to realize that retractables won't really be a good choice for me since the canister takes up close to a foot). I'm leaning towards getting the Bakflip MX4, but after doing a little measuring I probably still won't be able to fit two bales in the bed with the tailgate closed (the bales measure about 48x24x15), since I'm guessing that even with the cover opened all the way, they won't quite fit. I'm in California, and from what I understand, I can have the bales hang out the back with the tailgate open as long as I put a red piece of cloth/flag on them? Anyway, any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

I'm not used to doing truck stuff since I've been driving convertibles for the last 30 years. I have a 2014 Camaro convertible that I'm keeping just for fun and it only has 76,000 miles on it. My wife likes practical vehicles like the Odyssey (we've also always had minivans) and she really likes the Maverick. The Camaro is red with a tan top and she calls it the dumb blonde, since it can't do anything other than look pretty...

20240215_155315.jpg

20240215_155324 (1).jpg

20240225_160354.jpg
Maybe a Tuxedo Sentry CT roll up. They don't appear to take up as much room when rolled? That is what we have been looking at, but we don't have our truck yet!
I was hoping for photos of the the goats! 😉

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
the mid tailgate position isn't just for plywood.

Sponsored

dlhort1955

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe get a soft cover that is easy to put on and take off. They do not weigh much and most brands would take you about 10 minutes at the most to remove.

OP
OP

Dhhirsch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My weedeaters...

Hammer

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 VW GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
the mid tailgate position isn't just for plywood.
i second this opinion. I have used the mid-position of the tailgate on many occasions when hauling items that are a little too long for the bed.

OP
OP

Dhhirsch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i second this opinion. I have used the mid-position of the tailgate on many occasions when hauling items that are a little too long for the bed.
Guess I need to learn more about the tailgate. As I said, I'm new to having a truck...

IHateSpeedbumps

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Turn them 90° and they should fit better. The Ford hard tri fold opens fully as well and should fit them the way you currently carried them.
Ford Maverick Tri-Fold Bed Cover and Two Bales of Hay 20240217_123851

Sponsored

Joe Strummer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You've got the hybrid. Just make two trips.

PapaRico

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi all,

20240215_155315.jpg

20240215_155324 (1).jpg

20240225_160354.jpg
If all you need is a foot for the roll up cover, just get the bed extender for the Maverick. It comes out/on very easily.

lawsonland

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
chevy bolt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
[I have the RC trifold. Got 2 bales of straw and 11 50lb bags of feed. The 2 bales fit under the first fold by the cab the feed bags in the rest. Kept the 2 folds open but probably could have closed them if packed it better.

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can get either a retractable or a hard trifold. Stand those bales up and strap them down. You can fit 4 maybe 5 bales. Your rear view will be obstructed but shouldn't be a problem.
Sponsored

Last edited: