2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

LOL!!! Comparing the aerodynamics of an M5 with a Ford Maverick is like comparing a carrot to a watermelon ;) I've never had a truck or SUV with a "moonroof" that did not buffer.
How about comparing it to our Honda CRV? Does that suit you?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Eagle11

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It’s been a while since I have written an update. So, to get this out, I really do love this truck. I normally do not purchase the first-year model, but figured it wouldn’t so bad, and it’s not. But we do get use to some features over time (more to come about this).

I’ll get the MPG out of the way first.

So, my commute to work is 12.1 miles one way, 24.2 round trip all city stop and go. I have been averaging on those drives 50ish MPG, morning temps here in Phoenix have been in the high 50’s. Today I filled up, 13.5 gallons, the dashboard was telling me I had 61 miles left, 543 miles on this tank, this coms out to 40 MPG. This isn’t bad, on its first tank, our CRV (2022) is an FWD, and if we are lucky get 400 miles to a tank (it has a 13 gallon tank), mostly city. For this tank, it was 80% city and 20% highway. Now, my BMW M5, I’m lucky to get 18, so, I’ll take 40. This last 5 days, our temps have been in the 90’s, and I’ve had the AC on. I have left the drive mode in normal. Moving forward, I’ll be playing with the different drive modes.

Power

So, the little Maverick comes with 191hp combined, our CRV has 190hp. The Maverick is faster (or its feels faster) and I like the eCVT in the Maverick over the CRV CVT transmission. I have never felt the Maverick was out of breath, I drive 75 on the highway and the Maverick just cruises very well. The power off the line is impressive, I’m sure the elec motor has something to do with that I have surprised many people off the line.

Fit and Finish

Nothing has fallen off the truck. All panels are straight, and I have no real paint issues, now, my truck is Cyber Orange, and I do feel that some of the areas that are painted but not major panels could have been painted better, the tailgate (the seams) is one of them the orange isn’t as orange as the body is there is a “blue” hue to the paint. I am getting the pain clay barred and ceramic coated this week.

Inside

I find the seats to be comfortable, they are bolstered enough for daily driving, just wish they were power (I have an XLT) but I’ll get over it I’m 6’ at 225lbs. The driving position is very much truck like, I’m not sure about the drive selector yet.

I wish it had push start and auto door unlocking, my last 6 cars have it, I have just grown accustomed to not having to take my key out to use it to start it (yes, I know you can get it on the top level.) Hopefully Ford will have a Tech package, that will include (push start, auto unlocking doors, HomeLink, wireless Apple/Android car play, a second USB port upfront and lately a better screen for the radio.)

Car Play, wish it was wireless, I’m use to that too, so far Sync has been very responsive to my inputs on the screen, it connects about 80% of the time when I plug my phone in, when I get a call and disconnect from a call, it goes right back to playing whatever I have going on. My only grip about the screen is the quality of the screen is bargain basement as far as quality of items on the screen.

Why isn’t there an accessory rearview mirror that has HomeLink built in? I haven’t look at the Escape (I’m sure there is one, but not one for the Maverick)

The sunroof operates just like my BMW, it opens about 90%, the last 10% you need to push the open button until it opens all the way, now, I have mentioned it before, with the windows rolled up, and the sunroof open, and you are traveling at 40ish+ the amount of wind that comes into the cabin make for a loud booming noise, open a window and it goes way, I think if the sunroof had wind deflector built in we wouldn’t have that problem, there is a wind deflector, but it’s not really, it’s a piece of fabric (not hard plastic.)

Ease of driving

Driving the Maverick is very easy to drives you sit up high enough but you aren’t climbing into the Maverick like you would with a Ranger or F-150. Turning radius is very nice, but parking can be an issue, the truck is 200 inch’s long, 7 inches’ longer than my M5, and 20 inches longer than our CRV. I’m still getting us to this sometimes I have to get out and see how close I am to the car in front of me.

People reactions

So far I’ve had 4 people stop me in a parking lot (or drive through) to make a comment.

McDonalds worker:

(I pulled up to the window to pay) Dude, what a sick color, what kind of truck?

Me: Ford Maverick

Worker: how much

Me: starts at 20K

Worker: No Freaking way, I’ll have to go down to the Ford dealer. What kind of mileage?

Me: You will have to order a 2023, 2022 are all sold out, I’m averaging about 44 MPG.

Worker: No Phuqing way

Me: yup

Worker: I’m going to order one.

Other reactions have been:

So how much over MSRP did you pay? (FYI) I paid MSRP

How do you like it?

How long did you have to wait for it?

Can I sit in it? I have one on order and never seen one or sat in one. (He liked it, we were about the same height and weight)

Overall

I really like this truck, I bought because I wanted a truck, but didn’t like the looks of the Ranger (plus the price) the F-150 has gotten to be too big. Toyota Tacoma’s have gotten to be too big. When Ford announced the Maverick, I knew I would get one.

When Ford announces the PHEV version, I’ll be ordering one of them, having the extra battery capacity in the Maverick will push the MPG close to 50 in the city.

I understand why some of the items I stated I wish it doesn't have it, price... I'm sure some of those items will make its way into the Maverick moving forward.

I’ll give another update at the next fill up.

OP
OP
Eagle11

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OK so 18 days have gone by since my last update and some things have happened..

I have detailed my truck, clay barred it, and applied Chemical Guys HydroSlick to it, lets me tell you, what a huge difference the paint is now. Looks more like gold than orange. It took me about 5 hours total.

Ford Maverick The Eagle has Landed.... 1649883619264

Ford Maverick The Eagle has Landed.... 1649883638418

Ford Maverick The Eagle has Landed.... 1649883660327

Ford Maverick The Eagle has Landed.... 1649883681797

Dash Cam has been installed, and all wiring is tucked away and works flawlessly. I want to get the windows and windshield tinted but the company I use is booked for another 3 weeks (business is good)

I’m looking to order the tailgate lettering; it needs something back there.

Radio is starting to drive me nuts, apple car play connects about 50%, but once it connects it works just like it’s supposed to.

I have ordered a new rearview mirror that has Homelink via Kia Parts, total price $22 w/tax and shipping. Should be here by the end of the next week.

I ordered LED lights from Lasfit, they arrived one was DOA, contacted the company, and they shipped out new lights and told me to keep the one good one. I have since ordered all replacement bulbs to convert to LED total cost is about $90 pretty good price. Another project…

I notice the grabby brakes, or the brakes take a while to grab, I’m going to keep an eye out on this, I’m sure it has to do with the Regen braking.

Here is some big news….

OK, gang I just filled up my truck, I drove 645 miles, and the gauge was showing I had 14 miles left so 650 was doable, I had to have the AC on the truck the past two weeks, and we got up 95 here in Phoenix. It took 14 gallons, so this puts me at 46 MPG. I didn’t hypermiler the truck, was just more mindful of the braking so I can recapture the energy.

Some people say that a commute of 12 miles isn’t a good representation of “real” MPG, and I disagree simply, I commute 12 one way, and not everyone has to drive 30 miles to work. For ME I average 50 MPG on my way to work and 42 on my way home, that averages out to me 46… This little truck is making my commute to and from work very pleasant.

Ford Maverick The Eagle has Landed.... 1649883557477

Ford Maverick The Eagle has Landed.... 1649883576101

More updates to come
Sponsored