JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
According to my dealer they can later install a Securicodeon my XL on the outside of the driver's door. It will however, be secured only with a Double sided 3m tape.

I just like the idea but the whole tape thing kinda puts me off. Makes me think that's how they would have it on the higher trims as well as it is not integrated on the door sill itself.

Is it worth it or the Ford pass can achieve essentially the same concept of leaving your car key inside? What if someone figures it out how it is held and decides to rip it off? Or maybe just use it as a portable remote? But then defeats the purpose.
Sponsored

kevingcp

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury w/FX4 Package
Personally, I'll never leave my keys in the car, someone with a brain can figure out that people can leave their keys in new cars like this with remote locks and start and such and just break open a window and bam, there goes your truck.

Reminds me of Arnold in the Terminator stealing the truck and the keys are just magically in the visor.

theEngineer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, '13 Mazda 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I wouldn't worry about the double sided tape. This isn't the same stuff you would get from an office supply store.

3M VHB tape is used in all kinds of industrial applications, including adhering the make and model badges to your car.

JohnDLG

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From reading on Ranger5g.com, none of the current Rangers have an integrated keypad. The stick on units are battery powered, and when the battery eventually dies the unit has to be replaced. I think it might be covered under warranty for a year or two though if it dies early. On the plus side though since it isn't hard wired it doesn't have to be on the door, it can be placed anywhere on the vehicle. Just something to keep in mind.

I'm assuming the keypads on the XLT and above are hard wired and wont need to be replaced as often.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/moving-securicode-keypad-to-another-location.10882/

Last edited:

pmoore

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
According to my dealer they can later install a Securicodeon my XL on the outside of the driver's door. It will however, be secured only with a Double sided 3m tape.

I just like the idea but the whole tape thing kinda puts me off. Makes me think that's how they would have it on the higher trims as well as it is not integrated on the door sill itself.

Is it worth it or the Ford pass can achieve essentially the same concept of leaving your car key inside? What if someone figures it out how it is held and decides to rip it off? Or maybe just use it as a portable remote? But then defeats the purpose.
I personally added one on a 2012 mustang. I don't believe you can lock the door with the keys inside without it. I never had an issue with mine or anybody messing with it. You could always attach it somewhere else, like the cowl trim, by the wipers. That's where I placed it on the mustang. Didn't want it on the door.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JsnMrd

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I personally added one on a 2012 mustang. I don't believe you can lock the door with the keys inside without it. I never had an issue with mine or anybody messing with it. You could always attach it somewhere else, like the cowl trim, by the wipers. That's where I placed it on the mustang. Didn't want it on the door.
But what would be the purpose of it?

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
I didn't get the keypad on my XL build because I can always unlock it from my phone if I left the key inside

Sponsored

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y

doug2104

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

pmoore

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
allows to lock keys in vehicle. I don't always have my phone on me. what if you were somewhere without cellular service?

JohnDLG

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would likely make use of this feature when I'm going swimming at a public pool or at the beach. I won't want to leave my keys or phone out unattended so I would keep them locked up in the vehicle somewhere.

My current vehicles don't have this feature so I wear a dumb key on a lanyard. No chip so it can't start the car but all I need it for is to unlock the doors.

OP
OP
JsnMrd

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would likely make use of this feature when I'm going swimming at a public pool or at the beach. I won't want to leave my keys or phone out unattended so I would keep them locked up in the vehicle somewhere.

My current vehicles don't have this feature so I wear a dumb key on a lanyard. No chip so it can't start the car but all I need it for is to unlock the doors.

That's what I thought was the purpose of this but the other guy said you won't be able to leave your key with this add on accesorry versus having it integrated
Sponsored