RTT over the cab of the Maverick?

RacerX44

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK6 GTI
I have seen many people install roof top tents over the bed of their Mavericks but none over the cab. I ride mountain bikes and dirtbikes and would like to keep the bed open as much as possible. I could maybe understand concerns on roof strength compared to a Tacoma ect... but I kind of doubt it as the Mav is a modern vehicle with roll over strength and roof strength built into it. My previous ride was a VW GTI and people put tents on those all the time seemingly with no issue. Could anybody recommend a roof bar and tent set up to accomplish this? Thanks!

Ford Maverick RTT over the cab of the Maverick? roof
Sponsored

Rojo

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT, Alto Blue, AWD Eco-Boost, Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just because I'm curious, why a tent on top of the car, like what is the point of this? Why not just get a tent that goes on the ground, this just seems like it would add unnecessary stress to the car.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

1. They're stupid expensive.

2. Destroy your mpg.

3. Require bars on the roof.

4. Don't keep their value.

5. Make you top-heavy.

6. Are a pain to dry out if you used them in rain.

There is not one pro they have over a ground tent that I can think of.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Like being up in the air and not on the ground? Elevated away from wildlife and with the lofty experience? Even if you personally don't value it, others clearly do.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Like being up in the air and not on the ground? Elevated away from wildlife and with the lofty experience? Even if you personally don't value it, others clearly do.
I've spent 60 nights over the past two years in the mountains. Not once was I bothered by wildlife. Sleeping on the ground is not a big deal to me, and not sure why it's a big deal to others, but...folks are obviously free to spend their money how they like.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

1. They're stupid expensive.

2. Destroy your mpg.

3. Require bars on the roof.

4. Don't keep their value.

5. Make you top-heavy.

6. Are a pain to dry out if you used them in rain.

Flat solid surface free of rocks and sticks. No snakes or centipedes.

The best option is something like the GFC topper though. But very evpensive. We are getting a regular cap with a SUV tent and will sleep in the bed with the dogs on the tent floor. When we take the nieces and nephew with us we will put our old RTT on the cap for them. Also we are going to put racks on the cab to match the cap racks as one unit. That way we have a +500lb roof capacity for lumber and such.

For the OP. I dont see alot of Tacos with the tent on the cab. The only time I see the tents on cabs is when they are on built in cargo rails, usually found on SUVs. To do this to a Maverick I would look into seeing whats under that plastic strip on the roof and fabricate a rail for it. The yakima racks that just sit on the paint would not be a good idea for the constant daily weight(150lbs ish) of a RTT. Maybe look into height adjustable bed racks for a tent platform. Their is even a company that makes a motorized topper lift that could be implemented in some way.
Sponsored