Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was just thinking...
I want to build this little truck as a fun fast vehicle but I also tow my boat to tournaments. If I install for example a performance tune and I tow a boat and I’m going to over heat things? Turbo, transmission etc?
I’ve had fast cars and I’ve had trucks but I’m trying to make this do it all and I wonder if I’m hoping for to much lol
Sponsored

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
I was just thinking...
I want to build this little truck as a fun fast vehicle but I also tow my boat to tournaments. If I install for example a performance tune and I tow a boat and I’m going to over heat things? Turbo, transmission etc?
I’ve had fast cars and I’ve had trucks but I’m trying to make this do it all and I wonder if I’m hoping for to much lol
As long as you use a tuner that knows what they're doing, shouldn't be an issue.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My thoughts were that basic airflow mods should help towing. So a dp/cat back, new fmic, maybe an intake, plus a tune are on my long term mod list.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 4K tow package has additional cooling for high load driving along with lower gearing, all things good for performance too. The Ecoboost is using a really tiny turbo, and turbos have things called compressor efficiency maps. You probably don't want to go too crazy with boost anyway on that turbo or you just start losing a lot of efficiency, which is good as that will be most reliable and you won't be looking all over the place for leaks because you're way overpressuring the system. I'd just do a mild kit that bumps your boost a bit to achieve an additional 20-25hp and run 93.

Nothing is worse than guys that brag about how their vehicle makes these crazy numbers, "but not right now because I have XYZ problem" and are always dealing with CELs and leaks and fouled up plugs etc which becomes a chore.

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I guess it depends on how much your boat and trailer weighs. Ford generally offers a factory tune for $700-900 on other turbo models. You’ll get a decent bump in performance (+45hp and +60 ft/lbs on the Ranger for example) and it’ll be warrantied for 3 year/36k just like a factory part.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MaverickAngler

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I guess it depends on how much your boat and trailer weighs. Ford generally offers a factory tune for $700-900 on other turbo models. You’ll get a decent bump in performance (+45hp and +60 ft/lbs on the Ranger for example) and it’ll be warrantied for 3 year/36k just like a factory part.
That’s what I’m hoping for. I want to keep the warranty at least for a while lol

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd be disappointed if they don't call that the "Power Ranger Pack".

Remember the Ranger was factory detuned though for recommended 87 octane, whereas the 2.0 Ecoboost is already tuned for recommended 91 octane per the user manual.
Sponsored

Last edited: