First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your dome lights come on in the daytime when you open the car doors. This really is not much different in that regard IMHO.
Yeah, that's true. Well, at least they're supposed to. Mine are only turning on AFTER driving and exiting the vehicle. I should probably do a BM reset. Wait, should that be BMC? I do BM resets a couple times a day. Can't be the same. LOL
Sponsored

gyro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I just installed mine and while I don't think I screwed anything up I had a question...

For others who have installed it, does your light turn on when pressing the switch if you just simply walk out to your car unlock it?

Mine seems to need the car to be turned on in order for the lights to work but then even after turning the car off the switch still turns the lights on. Not sure if after a certain amount of time of the car being off the system cuts the power?

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I just installed mine and while I don't think I screwed anything up I had a question...

For others who have installed it, does your light turn on when pressing the switch if you just simply walk out to your car unlock it?

Mine seems to need the car to be turned on in order for the lights to work but then even after turning the car off the switch still turns the lights on. Not sure if after a certain amount of time of the car being off the system cuts the power?
Mine the system cuts power after about 45 minutes. Not sure if you can reprogram the BCM to turn it off sooner.

gyro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine the system cuts power after about 45 minutes. Not sure if you can reprogram the BCM to turn it off sooner.
What I meant was if the truck is off for some time, when I go out and say just want to go in the truck bed and turn the lights on they won't turn on unless I first turn the truck on. Ie there's not a constant power to the lights

Deweyordeweynot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dewey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Oxford White / 2018 Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I got around to editing and posting the video about adding a Magnetic switch to the bed lighting.

I purchased on Amazon: Amazon.com: Directed Electronics 8600 Micro Magnetic Switch : Industrial & Scientific

Here is the install video:
When I do mine, I think I'll wrap the excess portions of the LED strips around and across the back of the bed (even though they won't be long enough to meet), mostly because I can't bear the thought of 'wasting' the leftover LEDs by hiding them behind the taillights...but that's just me.
I like the idea of the magnetic switch but it's a shame that it 'toggles' the light on and off. I think I'd revert back to the mechanical switch...unless there's a fix to eliminate the toggle action.

Last edited:

Sponsored

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I see an issue trying to get these leds to stick to a drop in bedliner. I tried it while it was fairly cold outside but I am not sure how much better these will stick when the air temp is warmer. Anyone have success sticking them to a bed liner insert? I ordered some 3m promoter to see if that makes it stick better. If not I will have to come up with another solution...not using the screws to mount these leds.

Last edited:

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I see an issue trying to get these leds to stick to a drop in bedliner. I tried it while it was fairly cold outside but I am not sure how much better these will stick when the air temp is warmer. Anyone have success sticking them to a bed liner insert? I ordered some 3m promoter to see if that makes it stick better. If not I will have to come up with another solution...not using the screws to mount these leds.
Tried to get my Nilights to stick to my drop in bed liner again. Temp was 50 degrees and I cleaned the area with clorox wipes and then alcohol. I kept the bedliner in the sun to try and keep the liner warm. I then applied some of the 3M 4298UV Adhesion Promoter with a blue paper towel along the path for the led strip. I think this stuff works up to 90 seconds. I did about half of the strip each time. The 3M stuff was about $20 for the bottle and I used only a tiny amount....so I'll use it in the future for other projects.

The LED strip stuck to the bedliner as if it was welded to it. I could NOT remove the strip once it touched the bedliner so you really only get one shot. I was amazed at how well this promoter worked even at 50 degrees. Only took about a minute to do each side once I was ready to apply the promoter and strip. It would not hold if I had just used the adhesive by itself. Now it seems like it is epoxied to the bedliner! No more issues and lights up the whole inside of the bed at night.

RDRahn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Tried to get my Nilights to stick to my drop in bed liner again. Temp was 50 degrees and I cleaned the area with clorox wipes and then alcohol. I kept the bedliner in the sun to try and keep the liner warm. I then applied some of the 3M 4298UV Adhesion Promoter with a blue paper towel along the path for the led strip. I think this stuff works up to 90 seconds. I did about half of the strip each time. The 3M stuff was about $20 for the bottle and I used only a tiny amount....so I'll use it in the future for other projects.

The LED strip stuck to the bedliner as if it was welded to it. I could NOT remove the strip once it touched the bedliner so you really only get one shot. I was amazed at how well this promoter worked even at 50 degrees. Only took about a minute to do each side once I was ready to apply the promoter and strip. It would not hold if I had just used the adhesive by itself. Now it seems like it is epoxied to the bedliner! No more issues and lights up the whole inside of the bed at night.
Good to know. Thanks for posting.

Hub City Hybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat - Carbonized Gray
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
just wanted to thank this thread and @RDRahn for his youtube videos. I did the Nilight strips and tapped into the bed light. I debated adding the magnet mechanism, but I was already reaching the limits of my electrical skills. I figured I can always go back to it. Buying the fish tape really helped out a lot.
Sponsored