nobbyv

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Porsche GT4 & Macan S,'11 Suzuki Equator
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I listed my 2011 Suzuki Equator (Nissan Frontier) on Craigslist last weekend now that my Maverick has shipped. The Equator was in great mechanical shape w/ 107k miles, but body rust, especially on the bed, was beginning to become an issue (two holes in the bed floor, significant rust over both wheel arches). Bought it exactly 5 1/2 years ago with 65k for $11.5k, and put 42k on it. I thought it might take a little while to sell, as Suzuki pulled out of the US market a number of years ago (even though, as I said, it's really a Nissan Frontier with a Suzuki badge on the front). Instead, I had a half dozen people texting me about buying it in cash that day. Ended up selling it for full asking price of $8500 (which I thought was a bit high considering the rust and that it needed at least two if not four tires).

So I ended up paying $3k to drive a truck for 5.5 years and 42k miles (plus about $2k I put into it for tires, brakes, etc.). I liked the Equator/Frontier, and though I've read not-so-kind reviews of the Gen3 they seem to be selling well. But it's no surprise to me that Ford has had their hands full trying to keep up with demand for the Maverick. People are finally realizing that for many, $70k+ and 18MPG just isn't worth it for a full size half-ton truck that you only need to do "truck things" once in awhile.
Sponsored

MAVRICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Any
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2017 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab with 40K miles that I'm going to put for sale on Craig List ...

Question(s):

When you listed your vehicle, did you include the VIN on the listing?

Did you get a few sketchy texts/ calls right after listing?

Did you consider/ try Facebook Market Place?

... Thanks in advance.

OP
OP

nobbyv

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Porsche GT4 & Macan S,'11 Suzuki Equator
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2017 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab with 40K miles that I'm going to put for sale on Craig List ...

Question(s):

... Thanks in advance.
I did include the VIN. I ALWAYS get a few sketchy texts/replies when listing anything on CL, but they are pretty easy to spot and block (these days, they almost always use the same basic form: "Hello, I am interested in your <insert item title directly from ad here>. Please email me at [email protected]"). I did not try Marketplace; I don't have a FB account and no interest in creating one.

mikellmikell

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Colorado's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dealers giving me $2k less than I paid for my Maverick on trade towards my 24. He has it sold at a profit already. 35,000 miles just over 2 years old.

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Question(s):

... Thanks in advance.
I am not the OP, but I have used craigslist often and with good results. Yes, I list the VIN. If someone responds "available?" I ignore it as they are phishing for your email and/or phone number which I never include in the ad. [I use the email c/l provides for the initial contact but if you respond back, they have your email.] .

Dealers use agents to call on ads and ask you to bring it to them to evaluate. I invite them to come see it, don't waste time with them.

I begin my post with "If you are reading this, it is available". I also delete my ad promptly after it sells.

Be prepared to wait a few weeks or so. There may be someone looking for your exact vehicle, but sometimes it takes weeks. Refresh your ad - delete and repost after 10 days.

Do your homework as to value and print it out. Buyers expect to haggle and you can ask them, "I appreciate your offer, what do you base it on", then I show the printout of similar vehicles to mine and the KBB private party value, etc.

Don't get offended at low-ball offers. If I feel they are being ridiculous, I counter with a number $1000 above my asking price to make a point and watch their face. Who says you can't go up in price?

I have read about a scam where two men show up, one distracts you while the hood is up and the other pours oil on the exhaust manifold, which during the test drive, smokes and they try to use that to buy at a distressed price.

You have to get into a selling frame of mind. You only have one truck to sell and you only need one buyer. I don't give out my exact address directly. If someone makes an appointment I tell them come to the 1400 block of NNNN street ZIP NNNNN and text me, and ask what they are driving. I give them my address once they text.

Since I park inside my garage, that eliminates the chance they will come back at night and steal it. If you can't park it out of sight, consider meeting at a public place during daylight hours.

Be prepared for people to not show up. I text them to confirm. If you don't have the patience for all this, then sell to a dealer. If they email back crap like they are in the military and will send a courier and will pay extra for the inconvenience, that is the sign of a scam. C/L has a page about scams on the site, worth reading.

I never would take a personal check, many bring cash, sometimes I go to their bank and watch while a bank check is generated. I would not take what looks like a bank check carried by someone.

I would not get involved financing or taking payments, etc. If you have a buyer who wants it on a Sunday, for example, write up a bill of sale and specify a date by which the transaction must be completed, [paid,] or the commitment to sell is void. I take backup offers during that time, if I get them.

Since I take care of my vehicles and sell them while they are running, I have never had anyone come back on me. Selling by myself, I think I get somewhere between what a dealer would get and KBB private party.

During the price negotiation I emphasize the buyer won't be paying the fees usually charged by a dealer, around here it is $499. Of course they need to register and pay at the DMV for tax, reg, etc.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MAVRICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Any
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am not the OP, but I have used craigslist often and with good results. If someone responds "available?" I ignore it as they are phishing for your email and/or phone number which I never include in the ad. [I use the email c/l provides for the initial contact but if you respond back, they have your email.] .

You have to get into a selling frame of mind. You only have one truck to sell and you only need one buyer. I don't give out my exact address directly. If someone makes an appointment I tell them come to the 1400 block of NNNN street ZIP NNNNN and text me, and ask what they are driving. I give them my address once they text.

Since I park inside my garage, that eliminates the chance they will come back at night and steal it. If you can't park it out of sight, consider meeting at a public place during daylight hours.

Be prepared for people to not show up. I text them to confirm. If you don't have the patience for all this, then sell to a dealer. If they email back crap like they are in the military and will send a courier and will pay extra for the inconvenience, that is the sign of a scam. C/L has a page about scams on the site, worth reading.

I never would take a personal check, many bring cash, sometimes I go to their bank and watch while a bank check is generated. I would not take what looks like a bank check carried by someone.

I would not get involved financing or taking payments, etc. If you have a buyer who wants it on a Sunday, for example, write up a bill of sale and specify a date by which the transaction must be completed, [paid,] or the commitment to sell is void. I take backup offers during that time, if I get them.

Since I take care of my vehicles and sell them while they are running, I have never had anyone come back on me. Selling by myself, I think I get somewhere between what a dealer would get and KBB private party. During the price negotiation I emphasize the buyer won't be paying the fees usually charged by a dealer, around here it is $499 junk fee, plus the other fees and taxes. Of course they need to register and pay at the DMV for tax, reg, etc.
Thank you! ... very helpful.

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
all trucks have great resale value. People who need a truck really need one.

Exranger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EB FX4 4K Tow LAR LUX Area 51 RCVD 4/27/23
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I I ended up selling my f150 natural gas truck to carmax for $4k. First time ever selling to them. Bought it for $3500 at an auction. Only had 88,000 miles 2004. If the tanks weren’t expired I may have kept it. Love the MAV though!

Ford Maverick Market for Sub-Fullsize Trucks Is Still Very Strong B68E9A1E-B3F5-4E25-81AE-AB319A82B56D
Sponsored