Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
Nice.

Nice weather brings nice mpg's. You'll see a dive over the next couple of months only to see it rise again in March, then level off and decline a bit during the hot weather.

TIP: In a hybrid, all energy comes from gasoline. This includes the sub-systems like AC, heat, defrost, headlights, brakes (yes, they're electric too), etc. Need heat in the winter? Then the ICE may continue to run at a stop light instead of stopping. Etc.

In terms of costs/mile, my plug-in's charge for "free" at night and I often go thousands of miles per tank. Our "lowest" performer, the Honda Clarity, is a commuter and does 500 miles/week on 6 gallons of gas. :)

OP
OP

BruceTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice.

Nice weather brings nice mpg's. You'll see a dive over the next couple of months only to see it rise again in March, then level off and decline a bit during the hot weather.

TIP: In a hybrid, all energy comes from gasoline. This includes the sub-systems like AC, heat, defrost, headlights, brakes (yes, they're electric too), etc. Need heat in the winter? Then the ICE may continue to run at a stop light instead of stopping. Etc.

In terms of costs/mile, my plug-in's charge for "free" at night and I often go thousands of miles per tank. Our "lowest" performer, the Honda Clarity, is a commuter and does 500 miles/week on 6 gallons of gas. :)
Thank you for this info. This is my first hybrid and I'm so happy 😊

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice.

A "plug-in" is charged overnight for "free", how is that?

Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thinking some electrical company options include "free nights"........where people sleep in 62 degree AC comfort and charge their cars as well. During the day , they get soaked on electric use but if you go to an office, that solves most of the problem, right?

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thinking some electrical company options include "free nights"........where people sleep in 62 degree AC comfort and charge their cars as well. During the day , they get soaked on electric use but if you go to an office, that solves most of the problem, right?
Yes, a "free nights" electricity program. No charge for anything during the designated overnight hours (8pm-6am) but with a higher than average day rate. This program serves the electrical provider's needs as much as the consumer because the grid has too much electricity during night time base load levels so EV charging at night actually helps them (and all of us) out.

Like Frisco said, we charge during the designated "free" hours but also move anything else with heavy use such as dryer, dishwasher, hot showers, or any else we can set a program timer with. We also crank the HVAC to max and chill the house so the a/c doesn't run during the day (till the hottest months). This method still worked even during the lockdown/stay-at-home period. With a punitive day rate of .20 cents/kwh, we still end up averaging anywhere from .04-.10 cents per kwh overall for the month. Win-win.

So when folks ask me how much does it cost to charge my car, I say "I don't know, my bill actually went down!" LOL. Then I explain the "free nights" program.

Also, I expect crypto and cannabis folks sign up too! LOL

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, a "free nights" electricity program. No charge for anything during the designated overnight hours (8pm-6am) but with a higher than average day rate. This program serves the electrical provider's needs as much as the consumer because the grid has too much electricity during night time base load levels so EV charging at night actually helps them (and all of us) out.

Like Frisco said, we charge during the designated "free" hours but also move anything else with heavy use such as dryer, dishwasher, hot showers, or any else we can set a program timer with. We also crank the HVAC to max and chill the house so the a/c doesn't run during the day (till the hottest months). This method still worked even during the lockdown/stay-at-home period. With a punitive day rate of .20 cents/kwh, we still end up averaging anywhere from .04-.10 cents per kwh overall for the month. Win-win.

So when folks ask me how much does it cost to charge my car, I say "I don't know, my bill actually went down!" LOL. Then I explain the "free nights" program.

Also, I expect crypto and cannabis folks sign up too! LOL
This is South Texas? Have to think businesses hate this (except bars!) but a business doesn't pay their bills, customers do.

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is South Texas? Have to think businesses hate this (except bars!) but a business doesn't pay their bills, customers do.
Anywhere in Texas. https://powertochoose.org/ shows what's available. Businesses get different rates and programs than what's offered to the general public.

JohnDLG

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Personally I prefer a regular price for electrical usage any time, but if a house is well insulated a person can save a lot of money on those "free" night plans. Get a house nice and cold when energy is cheap and then coast through the day.

Sponsored

JohnDLG

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is intentional by the electric companies that put out these plans. Instead of spending more money to build new power plants they are trying to shift some usage to off peak times. During the day is usually when everyone is running AC and industries are running their machines.

Blue1005

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is intentional by the electric companies that put out these plans. Instead of spending more money to build new power plants they are trying to shift some usage to off peak times. During the day is usually when everyone is running AC and industries are running their machines.
they still get their rate increases though, 12 percent here in proposed in the okie state.
Sponsored