Sponsored

How to clean "film" from XLT's orange interior trim / liners?

TrippMe

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure what it's called but the orange interior insert (see image) has a while waxy/chalky film on it and I don't know what it is or how to clean it. I tried to clean it with soap and water and it doesn't remove anything.

Do you know what it is? How to clean it?

I'm 95% certain it's been there since I got just hadn't really taken notice until today.
Ford Maverick How to clean "film" from XLT's orange interior trim / liners? PXL_20220824_222123514
Sponsored

Last edited:

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Image?

Flight Test

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvettes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Assuming this part is rubber, the white stuff is called "bloom" and it is actually sometimes engineered into the rubber to protect the rubber from dry rot. Dry rot is really just damage caused by ozone, UV, Cosmic ray and whatnot. Dry rot makes the rubber craze, turn brittle, crack and shrink. It may also just be poor rubber formulation where some component has reached its solubility limit. Many times heating the rubber will make the bloom disappear as heat increases solubility. Heating rubber is not advised though as most rubbers shrink when heated (kind of opposite of what you would think). You can clean it off with any good detergent cleanser, but it will eventually come back. By cleaning it off, you are not degrading the protection (if in fact it was there for that purpose) of the rubber as once it is on the surface, it has already done its job.

ndmiller

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Azure Blue Metallic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Put in a plastic bag with some 303 rubber/plastic cleaner/restorer shake it all around and leave over night. Take it out and wipe down with paper towels, should be good as new. 303 is the bomb.

Jelvismc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just use a little Armor-All on it when I wipe down the interior
Sponsored