Ford Pickup Truck History

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Interesting read!

Wilbur

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Ford F100
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is a fascinating read.

I had no real idea that the truck bed had shrunk so much from my 1967 daily driver (long enough for me at to sleep in with the tailgate up) to modern crew cab trucks that can't take a full-size sheet of plywood unless the gate is down.

But although the utility of trucks may have been reduced, the difference in motor efficiency and power is gigantic, as is handling. The 352 in my truck has about 120 HP these days, and it gets about six MPG. The handling characteristics are such that it is good training for piloting a boat. As we say around here, it handles poorly, but it gets bad gas mileage.

Meanwhile my dad's modern F150 handles beautifully, has the amenities of a space ship, and he can get fuel economy into the 20s. But he doesn't have to "drive" his truck nearly as much as I do. Progress has certainly changed things for the better in all areas except general coolness.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That is a fascinating read.

I had no real idea that the truck bed had shrunk so much from my 1967 daily driver (long enough for me at to sleep in with the tailgate up) to modern crew cab trucks that can't take a full-size sheet of plywood unless the gate is down.

But although the utility of trucks may have been reduced, the difference in motor efficiency and power is gigantic, as is handling. The 352 in my truck has about 120 HP these days, and it gets about six MPG. The handling characteristics are such that it is good training for piloting a boat. As we say around here, it handles poorly, but it gets bad gas mileage.

Meanwhile my dad's modern F150 handles beautifully, has the amenities of a space ship, and he can get fuel economy into the 20s. But he doesn't have to "drive" his truck nearly as much as I do. Progress has certainly changed things for the better in all areas except general coolness.
I just wish we could get a mixed combo of tech and metal with a warranty and financing. Like ecoboost engines, with 90s OD manuals and tcases, modern axles, comfy seats, good lights, and 8ft beds.
Sponsored