Sponsored

Ford Maverick Catch Can Oil Separator Installation (IMO Best Practice)

OP
OP
CubanRedneck

CubanRedneck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes anodizing is used in aviation for a reason. I went with the black anodize and it appears to be coated nicely. It is a very corrosion resistant coating. I work in aviation MTX. I still see a lot of anodize stuff get corrosion on it. Especially fluid fittings. Yes for the most part anodizing does help the aluminum from corrosion. What I would be concerned about is water settling in spots on the bottom of the can in the corners since oil floats on water, and slowly corroding the inside. When you open the drain, it's not all going to come out. Some will be left in the corners. In my 28 years of working with aluminum parts I have seen a lot of corroded stuff. This always puts me into a proactive state of mind.

The primer I use is Akzo Noble 10P42NF 2 part fluid resistant epoxy. It is a 1-1 mix ratio. This stuff is impervious to heat and cold extremes. It does not peel or chip off once cured properly. Submerging it in MEK for weeks on end will not remove it. Chemical paint stripper will not remove it either. The only way to remove it is to sand it off or sand blast it off. I have actually used this primer inside thermostat housings on aluminum intake manifolds inside the water passages, and with it heat soaked with with antifreeze continuously soaking it, and it does not come loose.

This is some of the toughest primer I have ever used. If your interested in this, you can get a 2 part kit from Graco Aerospace. I even coated the parts of a friends engine dyno pump that are in water. 4 years later he pulled the pump apart to inspect it, and install new seals. No peeling, no corrosion.

Heres a tech tip for Mag Lights. Coat your batteries with Dow Corning DC33 o ring lube before you install them. Then if they leak, they wont corrode the flashlight tube.
I have never used that so I can't say. In cases where I have seen anodized pit or corrode two things have been present low PH or Electrolysis. I will look for some Akzoand give that a try. Thank you!
Sponsored

Nandn205

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350
Hey guys and girls, here is the video I mentioned I was going to create in an earlier post regarding the location of the PCV valve on the 2.0 EcoBoost engine found in 2021+ Ford Mavericks.

I was taken aback after finding application-specific kits for the top crankcase ventilation port (aka clean-side) as well as the bottom crankcase ventilation port on the engine block. I laughed at this last one because it entailed taking apart and disconnecting many things, including the intake manifold, when that is not needed! At the end of the day, and in my opinion, they are both flawed.

Please know that this is my first Ford in almost two decades and my first 4-cylinder. I have built several 4.6 and 5.0 but never fiddle with small Ford engines. Since I am well aware of the issue with direct-injected engines and carbon buildup, one of the first mods I was looking to do on my Maverick even before it got delivered was a catch can oil separator.

With that said, as you will see, this was a little bit of an experiment. I pride myself on testing everything I post, which is why it took a couple of weeks to publish the video.

It is a bit long, and please excuse the ranting. I try to make it comprehensive for those not familiar with this subject while getting the point across.

And I don't mean to sound like a snob at times, but I have been dealing with many smart-ass comments from trolls, questioning, and hating on everything I do. I don't have an issue engaging anyone in a conversation. I am wrong more often than I am right, but what these S***heads do is delete the comment so that I nor anyone else can answer.

Please know that despite all the extra hardware, the installation cost is around $85. That is about a 50% savings over many catch can kits on the market "made" for the 2021+ Maverick

So I have ordered 2 catch cans and am going to source a mounting plate. My question is how do you determine which side is your "in" and which is your "out" on the can?

Eber1988

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I was very interested in getting a catch can for my truck as I read the positives about it helping efficiency and prolongs the life of the engine. Then I read that it voids the warranty because it is in the PCV line and can have some major impacts if it isn't working quite right. Is the benefit worth the risk?

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I have ordered 2 catch cans and am going to source a mounting plate. My question is how do you determine which side is your "in" and which is your "out" on the can?
Most catch cans are marked with an arrow showing which way the air flow should go Or ”IN” and “OUT”.

OP
OP
CubanRedneck

CubanRedneck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The "Filter" is the vacuum side or OUT! Blow into it, it should be easy to ID

Sponsored

Nameless

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick AWD XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there any concern on oil levels throughout an oil change? These cans catch oil, I assume it is taking away from the total volume within the engine. How much oil do these catch between service?

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there any concern on oil levels throughout an oil change? These cans catch oil, I assume it is taking away from the total volume within the engine. How much oil do these catch between service?
Weather theres a catch can catching it, or without a can, the engine is instead burning it , it's still a loss of oil from the crankcase. They catch a small amount of oil vapor, and also catch crankcase water vapor. That's what you will find in the catch can.

Last edited:

Nameless

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick AWD XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Weather the catch can is catching it, or without the can, the engine is burning it instead, it's still a loss of oil from the crankcase.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Ive never had a turbo engine, but I'm going to order the parts and plan to do this mod as soon as the truck comes in.

Rileyotta

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for Maverick, driving 2013 Kia Sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hey guys and girls, here is the video I mentioned I was going to create in an earlier post regarding the location of the PCV valve on the 2.0 EcoBoost engine found in 2021+ Ford Mavericks.

I was taken aback after finding application-specific kits for the top crankcase ventilation port (aka clean-side) as well as the bottom crankcase ventilation port on the engine block. I laughed at this last one because it entailed taking apart and disconnecting many things, including the intake manifold, when that is not needed! At the end of the day, and in my opinion, they are both flawed.

Please know that this is my first Ford in almost two decades and my first 4-cylinder. I have built several 4.6 and 5.0 but never fiddle with small Ford engines. Since I am well aware of the issue with direct-injected engines and carbon buildup, one of the first mods I was looking to do on my Maverick even before it got delivered was a catch can oil separator.

With that said, as you will see, this was a little bit of an experiment. I pride myself on testing everything I post, which is why it took a couple of weeks to publish the video.

It is a bit long, and please excuse the ranting. I try to make it comprehensive for those not familiar with this subject while getting the point across.

And I don't mean to sound like a snob at times, but I have been dealing with many smart-ass comments from trolls, questioning, and hating on everything I do. I don't have an issue engaging anyone in a conversation. I am wrong more often than I am right, but what these S***heads do is delete the comment so that I nor anyone else can answer.

Please know that despite all the extra hardware, the installation cost is around $85. That is about a 50% savings over many catch can kits on the market "made" for the 2021+ Maverick

I have watched this video, and after having a very terrible experience with a previous GDI engine, I want to do anything possible to maintain my Maverick engine.
Is there any possibility that adding these catch cans could void my warranty?

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
I have watched this video, and after having a very terrible experience with a previous GDI engine, I want to do anything possible to maintain my Maverick engine.
The chances are that the oil catch cans (OCC) would void the warranty Especially, if you don't replace the OCC(s) with the OEM connection, priot to taking your Maverick to the dealer, should there be any warranty claim.

The most likely issue with the OCC is that seals start to leak, due to over pressurizing the crankcase. The latter one could happen when the OCC fails, such as clogged up, froze in the winter, hoses collapse, etc. There are couple of videos, where increased pressure in the crank case had been caused by the OCC*:

And this:

*-While these videos are for diesel engines, principally, the same goes for gas engine OCC as well.

Obviously, this depends on the type and regular maintenance of the chosen OCC(s).

I didn't know much, rather anything, about the GDI engines prior to purchasing my EB2.0 with its GDI. I am still debating, if I should just trade-in my Maverick and purchase a different vehicle with muti-port fuel injection (MPFI), that mostly eliminate GDI issues.

Sponsored

Rileyotta

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The chances are that the oil catch cans (OCC) would void the warranty Especially, if you don't replace the OCC(s) with the OEM connection, priot to taking your Maverick to the dealer, should there be any warranty claim.

The most likely issue with the OCC is that seals start to leak, due to over pressurizing the crankcase. The latter one could happen when the OCC fails, such as clogged up, froze in the winter, hoses collapse, etc. There are couple of videos, where increased pressure in the crank case had been caused by the OCC*:

And this:

*-While these videos are for diesel engines, principally, the same goes for gas engine OCC as well.

Obviously, this depends on the type and regular maintenance of the chosen OCC(s).

I didn't know much, rather anything, about the GDI engines prior to purchasing my EB2.0 with its GDI. I am still debating, if I should just trade-in my Maverick and purchase a different vehicle with muti-port fuel injection (MPFI), that mostly eliminate GDI issues.
Thank you very much for the information, I do appreciate it!
I really wish EB2.0 engines were MPFI at this point.

OP
OP
CubanRedneck

CubanRedneck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
... no and FYI, many dealers are offering this!

Rileyotta

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thank you for the information! I think I may call my dealer and look into it. I see the benefit to it, I’m not sure how confident I am in doing it myself, despite how easy your video makes it look.
I even work for a hose/hydraulic company so I’d be able to get some components for very cheap.

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
Yeah, dealers will offer a lot of of things, some more useful than others, but... If the crankshaft seal is blown due to the OCC, will Ford repair it under warranty? The chances are are that Ford will have a record for the dealer installed OCC as oppose to self installed.

BTW... Great video and blog post on this and other subjects... Do you think it is necessary to coat inside of the can as suggested by @Barracuda340 ?

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...tallation-imo-best-practice.15453/post-344460

Thx...

OP
OP
CubanRedneck

CubanRedneck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, dealers will offer a lot of of things, some more useful than others, but... If the crankshaft seal is blown due to the OCC, will Ford repair it under warranty? The chances are are that Ford will have a record for the dealer installed OCC as oppose to self installed.

BTW... Great video and blog post on this and other subjects... Do you think it is necessary to coat inside of the can as suggested by @Barracuda340 ?

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...tallation-imo-best-practice.15453/post-344460

Thx...
... Just know that many 23 & 24 are coming from the factory with catch cans, and Ford Performance sells catch cans for both the Mustang and the Raptor. Didn't see the comment by @Barracuda340, but I know him. He knows his stuff and awesome fabricator. I don't see it being a bad thing since the fluids collected are highly corrosive and low PH
Sponsored