First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any coolant issues with the Ecoboost Lariats?? Engine is very similar to my old Escape which had no engine issues..just drivetrain issues.

I have a 2023 2.0L AWD Lariat and I sometimes get a wiff of coolant order I think. Truck has 8K on it and no coolant loss ir driveway drips but I have noticed this a couple of times now. No wet issues inside the passenger front compartment but smelling coolant on a car with 8K is not normal. Haven't seem any TSB on the issue but I will mark the coolant level and watch it over the next month. I baby this truck so issues popping up really tick me off since it isn't abused. I sold my older cars and bought new ones just to avoid issues in the next few years....and starting to regret that decision.
Sponsored

OP
OP

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Might just be slosh from the overflow tank.
Didn't really think about that! It's a possibility after looking at it given the weird shape and size of that tank. I'll put a curl and loose plug on the tube to see. Thanks

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
there have been some water pump leaks on the 2.0L in the past, check that area
be sure to check back after watching your coolant level. that level will vary up and down depending on conditions.

As heating coolant expands into the holding tank some air is vented

OP
OP

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Didn't really think about that! It's a possibility after looking at it given the weird shape and size of that tank. I'll put a curl and loose plug on the tube to see. Thanks

Well that is not going to happen. There is no outside overflow tube. It goes to a pipe and looks like it gets sucked into the engine for burning??? Too hard to trace in the dark. Looks like it is no longer allowed to drip outside the vehicle. So that doesn't explain how I got a wiff of it since it appears this is a tightly closed system (even the filling container under pressure) compared to cars from 10 years ago.

Sponsored

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well Paul, if you don't have any coolant loss from observing the coolant bottle then there's nothing to worry about.

OP
OP

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well Paul, if you don't have any coolant loss from observing the coolant bottle then there's nothing to worry about.
Yeh..I know...I'll just let it go....I never smelled coolant on any of my other Fords with a 2L turbo so it just seemed odd that I could smell it on the Maverick a few times.

OPMav

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you ever figure this out? I am having an issue with a strong smell, I suspected perhaps coolant leaking onto the exhaust at first but then it got so pungent that I started to suspect it was something else. Had the dealer check the cooling system fully, nothing. They found a small transmission leak but that didn't fix the issue. No idea what to do now.

OP
OP

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I never found a leak and my coolant level seems to be fine...tracing the hoses it does appear that the engine ingests some coolant vapors so it may be passing through the engine and coming out the exhaust we are possibly getting a slight wiff if the air flow is right. I haven't noticed it on my truck for a while now but I have 12K on it. That is the only thing I kind come up since the level has not changed but the coolant does appear to have an air intake line going into the engine intake....may be one of these new anti pollution ideas they keep sticking into vehicles. If your truck is new just check the fluid level every few weeks and see if the smell stops after 7-8 months or so. Mine is 8 months old now.

I didn't notice it on mine for the first month or two but did after that. I also noticed it more when I had taken a longer trip and the engine was well heated up although I never found any coolant visible anywhere or underneath and the smell would not always be there. I definitely have not smelt it now for at least the last two months....it seemed to stop early Jan. right after I complained about it. See if you smell it when the truck has been sitting for a while and cool or only right after you start it ...may give an indication if it is coming from the exhaust when starting up.
Sponsored

Last edited: