Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When folks were first putting KNS into 2022 Mavericks some were reporting a loss in MPG - Wondering if that's still the case ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Check out air raid. They have a dry filter that basically cross layers the Kn media. They get very high praise for both added hp when trying for that and filtration. Iā€™ve cleaned them before on a construction site truck. Was shocked how much dirt you could wash out of one.
Air/Raid does not list a filter for either the Maverick or Bronco Sport - FYI

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oiled filters cause me concern on turbo cars. I've never read anything about it but on 2 previous vehicles I started having problems with injectors within 500 miles of installing them. It may be coincidence but I only use them now on my carbureted classics that get
It's been awhile and I figured we all need another Air filter thread - LoL -

Anyways I am @ 17k and the OEM filter is pretty dusty. Always been a KN fan but seems most folks are just not into that anymore.

What filter are the cool kids using these days ?

Cheers -
I'm not a fan of oiled air cleaners on a boosted engine but others seem to think they're fine.

Rwills

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Anyways I am @ 17k and the OEM filter is pretty dusty. Always been a KN fan but seems most folks are just not into that anymore.

Cheers -

Cheers -
Just saw a guy test k&n and 4 other filters. K &N was the worst on filtration. I'm sticking with OEM

OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oiled filters cause me concern on turbo cars. I've never read anything about it but on 2 previous vehicles I started having problems with injectors within 500 miles of installing them. It may be coincidence but I only use them now on my carbureted classics that get

I'm not a fan of oiled air cleaners on a boosted engine but others seem to think they're fine.
I'm kinda with you on this. Also coming from the off road Enduro crowd as they think KNs are not the greatest when u get off road into dirt and sand.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Look, if they were as bad as some people say it would be apparent by now and they would be out of business. They are NOT a new company.
lol are you serious? DuPont is still in business too. Do you know their history? Purdue Pharma?

That argument isn't the win you think it is.

Last edited:

Gonzo chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti g35 coupe, VW Golf
Engine
Undecided
Ya probably not gonna make a difference. But I know a few people that track mpg very close and one now has a maverick. I believe he may have just put in a KN. Curious if he sees anything on that end. I would doubt it.
Yeah it would be kind of interesting to see if it makes a difference. I mean it depends if the filter is really a bottleneck. It depends on lots of things I guess like the shape of the intake, manifold, air intake itself etc

Gonzo chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti g35 coupe, VW Golf
Engine
Undecided
Look, if they were as bad as some people say it would be apparent by now and they would be out of business. They are NOT a new company.

The "tests" you see online do NOT reproduce real-world conditions.

And look at it this way: what else puts "flour" sized particles in your engine?

Burning gasoline. Are you going to let that fun fact keep you up at night?
Again, it probably doesn't make a big difference, but I don't think if they don't filter as well they would necessarily be out of business. Most people don't keep a car for 200,000 mi or whatever it would take to make a difference. And if the engine does crap out they don't necessarily attribute it to the air filter that they paid money to put in and convinced themselves was better. I say this is somebody who has used k&n filters before.
I look at it like the tests might not be real world conditions, but if you can find a filter that flows pretty much is good or close to it as a k&n and filters better, that's what I would go with at this point. The saving money isn't really that big of a selling point as the time to spray and clean and reoil the filter at the ripe old age of 55 is more important to me than the few bucks for the filter.

Last edited:

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
K&N - to me not worth the original price and not worth the time and effort, cost of the kit, to maintain it.

A few years back, I watched a YouTube of a dyno test with a stock filter compared to a K&N. The graph showed that at very high RPM's like 5000 rpm and above, the K&N show a slight power advantage. Since I don't run my engine in that rpm range, there is no advantage to me. The test did not measure filtration.

In addition to using an OEM Motorcraft oil filter, I intend to use a Motorcraft engine air filter and just change when held up to light, it is dim due to either debris, dust or both. None of my kids think I am cool.

Sponsored

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah it would be kind of interesting to see if it makes a difference. I mean it depends if the filter is really a bottleneck. It depends on lots of things I guess like the shape of the intake, manifold, air intake itself etc
Once tuned it does seem to make a difference. I know on a lot of focus stuff including mine I got the same measured dyno gains adding a kn as others did with the intake. Filter and silicone elbow to replace the accordion thing showed gains. But time will tell on these for sure.

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
K&N - to me not worth the original price and not worth the time and effort, cost of the kit, to maintain it.

A few years back, I watched a YouTube of a dyno test with a stock filter compared to a K&N. The graph showed that at very high RPM's like 5000 rpm and above, the K&N show a slight power advantage. Since I don't run my engine in that rpm range, there is no advantage to me. The test did not measure filtration.

In addition to using an OEM Motorcraft oil filter, I intend to use a Motorcraft engine air filter and just change when held up to light, it is dim due to either debris, dust or both. None of my kids think I am cool.
Man how you gonna clean the carbon out of you never rev it up. Lol

OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah the airbox has a tiny inlet tube- That's probably a pinch point.

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man how you gonna clean the carbon out of you never rev it up. Lol
RE: Clean out carbon = good question, if in fact it does coke up. Word is you pay a bundle to have a mechanic blast out the carbon with walnut shells. I eat walnuts so I wonder if I will get a discount if I bring my own walnuts? :clap:

The 22 Mav EB and my wife's Lexus are the first turbo direct injection engines I ever owned. I sold the Mav EB when my 24 hybrid arrived - the 2.5L in the hybrid has SMPI so no issues there.

I am warming up to EV's without the maintenance of ICE's. When my hybrid runs on all electric it is so smooth and quiet.

onemuir

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
RE: Clean out carbon = good question, if in fact it does coke up. Word is you pay a bundle to have a mechanic blast out the carbon with walnut shells. I eat walnuts so I wonder if I will get a discount if I bring my own walnuts? :clap:

The 22 Mav EB and my wife's Lexus are the first turbo direct injection engines I ever owned. I sold the Mav EB when my 24 hybrid arrived - the 2.5L in the hybrid has SMPI so no issues there.

I am warming up to EV's without the maintenance of ICE's. When my hybrid runs on all electric it is so smooth and quiet.
Ok. Definitely not a cool guy herešŸ˜†. Iā€™ve run K&Nā€™s most of my life. Mainly due to not having to buy a new filter every time. Iā€™ve heard all the arguments. Iā€™ve checked the intake tube and found no residue whatsoever in them.
Iā€™m currently running the ā€œgreen filterā€ in the factory airbox. I personally think itā€™s just a different color K&N. Supposed to flow more air than the k&n but thatā€™s advertising. Itā€™s a pain to get the air filter out and back in, cleaning it no big deal. I clean up the engine bay while itā€™s drying. The minimal hp increase will never be felt. Iā€™ll recoup my costs in filter replacements.
Sponsored