Aftermarket wheel specs - what's safe?

Markus87

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep renegade
Dont know much about wheels or tires but looking to maybe get some after market wheels. What sizes should i stay with to be safe. My build is a xl awd with 4k tow. Ive seen people posting 18in and 17in wheels. Seen some wheels that are 17.7+42mm. Also some that were 17.85+25mm. Just trying to understand what is safe size and offset without any mods.
Sponsored

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two

TE37Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
I didnt do the math i used the link above and compared known wheel specs that have been used without any reported issues. My template was 256/60r18 with 18x8 with +30 offset which was report to run without issues.. Again using the calculator (not my math) a 8.5" wide wheel with +25 offset will put wheel. 1.3mm closer to strut then setup above. So i geuss that is a little aggressive.. +23 will be further away from setup above so lets go with that.

Less will defiantly make the wheels stick out but this is what can clear the inside suspension not how far things stick out, that will go with tire bulge in another subject.

• Sad
Reactions: wjg

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
I can't answer definitively but I've seen 18x8 with +40mm offset used on a couple Mavs so far.

Reactions: wjg

Sponsored

Uselessness

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
An
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Fx4 (1/10/2021)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
Does a different center bore size make a difference?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does a different center bore size make a difference?
If the bore size is smaller then it won't fit. The Maverick's hub bore is on the smaller side so that shouldn't be an issue, though. It's recommended to use a hubcentric insert to match the wheel's bore to the hub of the vehicle, but not strictly necessary.

Junlei12

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer 2019
Hey there!

There's actually a lot to consider when it comes to aftermarket wheels and tires, and it really depends on your specific car and build. Car wheel sizes can vary depending on the make and model, so it's always best to consult your car's owner manual or a professional to get the best recommendations. In general, though, most people recommend staying within the same wheel size range as your original factory wheels.
Sponsored