First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since the very earliest reports of the Maverick, there has been speculation that on the base trim level the standard engine might be Ford’s Duratec 20 normally aspirated engine. I find myself hoping this is true because I have reservations about the 1.5 Ecoboost if it indeed has a timing belt bathed in oil, rather than a timing chain. The 2 litre Duratec was designed in cooperation with Mazda and was used in various Ford, Mazda and Volvo products. Ford has continued to improve it over the years. If you search the internet you’ll find that this is an extremely reliable engine and it does have a timing chain. Yes, there is 19 less horsepower and 46 less lb/ft of torque, but for my driving style I don’t think I’d miss the power very often. There is so much standard equipment in even base model vehicles these days (looking particularly at Escape S), that I think I could configure a very satisfactory truck with a few aftermarket items (trailer hitch, heated seats, tonneau cover). The only thing I would love to have is a heated steering wheel, but I don’t think spending about $3k more for a mid level trim and a cold weather option package is worth it.
Sponsored

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I completely agree, however as time goes by, speculation keeps leaning more and more to the two turbo options only. The NA 2.0 would be cheaper for a base MSRP vehicle sub 20k, but i think they're still gonna go turbo only to get their fleet MPGs up, due to the constantly stricter government regulations. Im disappointed too but have already come to terms with it lol.

Reactions: Doc

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Honestly Id be pretty happy to have that non turbo 2.0 in the base model instead of the 1.5. I dont think we'll have that option though since its not an option in the Escape/Bronco Sport.

Ford Maverick Normally aspirated Duaratec 20? 2022 Ford Maverick

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since the very earliest reports of the Maverick, there has been speculation that on the base trim level the standard engine might be Ford’s Duratec 20 normally aspirated engine. I find myself hoping this is true because I have reservations about the 1.5 Ecoboost if it indeed has a timing belt bathed in oil, rather than a timing chain. The 2 litre Duratec was designed in cooperation with Mazda and was used in various Ford, Mazda and Volvo products. Ford has continued to improve it over the years. If you search the internet you’ll find that this is an extremely reliable engine and it does have a timing chain. Yes, there is 19 less horsepower and 46 less lb/ft of torque, but for my driving style I don’t think I’d miss the power very often. There is so much standard equipment in even base model vehicles these days (looking particularly at Escape S), that I think I could configure a very satisfactory truck with a few aftermarket items (trailer hitch, heated seats, tonneau cover). The only thing I would love to have is a heated steering wheel, but I don’t think spending about $3k more for a mid level trim and a cold weather option package is worth it.
The Duratec is an excellent engine, and it, in itself, would seal the deal with the Maverick.

If Ford goes with the 1.5, and I think that they will, I might take a look at the Santa Cruz.

OP
OP
oljackfrost

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly Id be pretty happy to have that non turbo 2.0 in the base model instead of the 1.5. I dont think we'll have that option though since its not an option in the Escape/Bronco Sport.
True, the Escape and Bronco Sport have the two Ecoboost engines, but they are also at a higher price point than the anticipated $20k Maverick base price. I'm only guessing here but I'll bet the Duratec is cheaper to manufacture because it's simpler; and the tooling is long paid for. The Duratec 20 is the standard engine in the Transit Connect, which is built on the same chassis architecture as the three vehicles mentioned above, so it's an easy fit.

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
True, the Escape and Bronco Sport have the two Ecoboost engines, but they are also at a higher price point than the anticipated $20k Maverick base price. I'm only guessing here but I'll bet the Duratec is cheaper to manufacture because it's simpler; and the tooling is long paid for. The Duratec 20 is the standard engine in the Transit Connect, which is built on the same chassis architecture as the three vehicles mentioned above, so it's an easy fit.
That is a good point, the Escape is the cheaper of the two, and it's base MSRP is still about 5k more than target for the Maverick. Those savings gotta come from somewhere...
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc