Sponsored

Turning Off Parking Support Brake (PKSB)

stokes32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I had some bikes hanging over the tailgate of my new Tacoma the other day. Every time I tried to reverse it would sense the bikes and automatically apply the brakes. I haven't tried it with the hitch mount bike rack yet, but guessing I will have the same problem. Is there an easy way to turn this off when I don't want to use it?
Sponsored

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
A few more videos on Steve's channel relating to these systems as well

cneber

First Name
Corb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G4 SR5
I had the same safety brake discovery yesterday with my hitch mounted bike rack. I could not back out of the driveway. You can disable the PKSB in the settings menu. I don’t think the Tacoma has the same physical button as the Tundra in the video, at least on the TRD Sport model.

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BD Hardtop 4Dr 2.3 MT
You'd think the genius engineers at Toyota would realize that some people put bike racks and tow trailers with their Tacos, but apparently they only thought that Tundra owners do so.

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
It looks like there are two instances where it will switch off. One is automatic with a trailer, the other is done with the multi-information display aka dash board. Seems like a switch like the tundra would be more convenient. Maybe it can be added in one of the blanks or a fake TBC connector.

2024 Tacoma Turning Off Parking Support Brake (PKSB) Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 9.48.59 AM
2024 Tacoma Turning Off Parking Support Brake (PKSB) Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 10.01.32 AM

Last edited:

Jaxx642

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Had the exact thing with my hitch mounted bike rack. Used the toggle switch located on the left side of the steering wheel to select Settings (shown on the display), then scroll down to PKSB and deselect it. I think that's what the post above says in a much more thorough way. lol.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Same thing happened to me. And it was braking hard! As least we know the system works. I turn it off when riding.

Last edited:

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Anyone gone into a car wash with this on? I went into one the other day with my wife's Honda and it was not happy. But I didn't think it ever hit the brakes

dapperdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma off road
I had this same issue with a hitch mounted rack, figured out how to turn it off and seems to be fine. Still have to turn off the alarm sound each time when backing up. But that is way better then the brakes being slammed on!
Sponsored