First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a little spendy, but looks well made and would certainly be worth it if you aren't particularly skilled in woodworking or don't own the proper tools to build it yourself. I like that you aren't afraid to tell people how to do it themselves. That's rare and I respect you for it. I wish you the best.
What he said ^^^
As an amateur woodworker myself - most don't know the work involved to make a precision platform. Your cuts are precise and it looks like no hardware required...a hinge may sound good but so much more functional not to have to keep a hinge aligned and deal with the added weight of picking up two connected heavy sections. And having to unload your camping cargo to close the tail gate hinged section. Going above the wheel wells is a game changer with your design....so much more platform space.

I've had a rooftop tent and never again...your platform with a tent that would fit the footprint of your "platform" is so much more practical and functional than a RTT. Tent & tarp eliminates bugs, rain, security etc. to fit in the Maverick bed. Underneath your platform provides (10") a lot of space to keep plastic storage boxes, like underbed storage boxes.

If you looked at the plans available for TEAR Drop trailers...the plans are available in templates that allow users to use these patterns to cut out the parts to duplicate yours. If you had a way to provide a pattern of your parts, me and many others would probably jump at buying the patterns. Shipping weight to Atlanta would probably be a cost killer for the pre-cut platform. Your platform with right size tarp, right size tent, and a trailer hitch with a Step would be what I've been looking for.

Thanks for sharing all the great ideas.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
bambeds

bambeds

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bravo to you sir! I wondered how long it would take for someone to balk at the price (seems to be a theme on the forum). Price and value are relative, and small businesses live or die on proper profit margin. You know your costs, you know your business, and you know your product.

Props for being early to the game and building what looks to be a killer product. Best of luck with it!
What he said ^^^
As an amateur woodworker myself - most don't know the work involved to make a precision platform. Your cuts are precise and it looks like no hardware required...a hinge may sound good but so much more functional not to have to keep a hinge aligned and deal with the added weight of picking up two connected sheets. I've had a rooftop tent and never again...your platform with a tent that would fit the footprint of your "platform" is so much more practical and functional than a RTT. Tent & tarp eliminates bugs, rain, security etc. to fit in the Maverick bed. Underneath your platform provides (10") a lot of space to keep plastic storage boxes, like underbed storage boxes.

If you looked at the plans available for TEAR Drop trailers...the plans are available in templates that allow users to use these patterns to cut out the parts to duplicate yours. If you had a way to provide a pattern of your parts, me and many others would probably jump at buying the patterns. Shipping weight to Atlanta would probably be a cost killer for the pre-cut platform. Your platform with right size tarp, right size tent, and a trailer hitch with a Step would be what I've been looking for.

Thanks for sharing all the great ideas.
Thanks a bunch for the support guys!

My prices do include free shipping to the lower 48. I've designed this product not just to fit super nicely in the back of a maverick but also to pack down in a slim package that is easily shipped with UPS.

I completely agree with the hinge thought. The problem with a hinge is that now your boards need to swipe through a ton of volume in order to be folded up. Having separate panels requires next to no volume for reconfiguration meaning that you can leave your stuff where you put it instead of unloading and reloading after folding.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone has this in this forum care to share your thoughts?

To Bambeds, any chance you can show a video assembling it from the beginning including the bottom support brackets?

Is it a solid fit or any chance the bracket moving while someone climbs the board especially the tail gate extension?

OP
OP
bambeds

bambeds

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone has this in this forum care to share your thoughts?

To Bambeds, any chance you can show a video assembling it from the beginning including the bottom support brackets?

Is it a solid fit or any chance the bracket moving while someone climbs the board especially the tail gate extension?
Sure thing, here's a video showing the start-to-finish installation

The fit is designed so that the puzzle joints hold the tailgate board adjacent to the rest of the platform which prevents any movement. All the feet are doing is proving vertical support, they don't do any work to stabilize the tailgate board side to side because the puzzle joints are already doing that.

No one has used this platform besides me and anyone that claims to is lying! We're finishing up the initial production here at BamBeds and will have these shipping by next week.

Sponsored

Nightowl

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The quality and craftsmanship look amazing. $500 sounds like a bargain to me. I know others have complained about the price. Could I hack, glue and screw something together that might serve the same purpose for less? Probably. I could also make many unforeseen mistakes, end up with warped and/or misaligned boards, and probably curse my thrifty nature when a support buckled in the middle of the night.

Support small businesses and American ingenuity!
Also, I'm too rickety to sleep in my truck bed.
Hypocrisy forever!

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for that video! That's exactly what I wanted to see.

One thing though, those inserts on the support brackets, do they come off so they can be stored flat when not in use?

Would this allow 1 adult and two kids? Is the width of this similar to the Tacoma or narrower?

Do you need to position the supporting brackets all the way in already before installing the platforms or can they be closer to the tailgate and be pushed once the 1st platform is placed?

If you were to stack 3 platforms would they pose an issue while driving? Would they get dislodged and get thrown around or there's a way to secure them together?

OP
OP
bambeds

bambeds

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you for that video! That's exactly what I wanted to see.

One thing though, those inserts on the support brackets, do they come off so they can be stored flat when not in use?

Would this allow 1 adult and two kids? Is the width of this similar to the Tacoma or narrower?

Do you need to position the supporting brackets all the way in already before installing the platforms or can they be closer to the tailgate and be pushed once the 1st platform is placed?

If you were to stack 3 platforms would they pose an issue while driving? Would they get dislodged and get thrown around or there's a way to secure them together?
It's comfortable for two average size adults to sleep shoulder to shoulder so kids should be no issue. The width is about the same as a full-size mattress. For reference, I'm the guy in the video and am 6'0" 180lbs.

Everything packs flat for storage and shipping.
Stacking 3 boards at the fwd end of the bed is no problem, if you want to secure all parts together you can use a bungee cord through the handles (which are all at the same width) to keep everything in one place. Though I haven't found this to be necessary even when off-roading.

CactusJack

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would love to see some setups with this! I saw someone use (2)2x4's across the bed(above the wheel wells) as a platform to put a truck tent on which looked ideal. I think something like this would be even better other than the extra cargo of the wood which doesn't seem like much when packed flat.

For reference of what I've seen in the past and thought about getting:

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/truck-tent.10509/

Sponsored

Rentman1225

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forde Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As an amateur woodworker myself - most don't know the work involved to make a precision platform.
I agree, plus most people don't know the cost of two sheets of 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood.

The price seems pretty good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.