Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What you really need to do:

Find a dealership you trust and want to do business with.

Get them to spec one out for you, that is they build with hope of selling you one.

Ask to see the complete paper, it will have many numbers on it but you are most interested in
  1. MSRP window sticker
  2. Invoice
  3. A term called holdback
  4. Also has x plan price if you are eligible.
At that point take the MSRP subtract the D&D (Freight)
- take that number and multiply it time .03
- subtract that number from the invoice and that is the price you will pay for the truck
- subtract any applicable rebates ask what they are with your zip code. May be none but at least ask.

You can say that is what I will pay for the truck.. yes it is fair when both sides have all the information.

Work out the deal and when you come to an agreement then NEXT
Notes: No they will not be making tons of money on you...
They get to keep a local valued service customer...
A skinny front end deal is better than no deal at all...

Be prepared to wander out the door if necessary and keep a copy of the order for reference, it is not a closely held secret eyes only document...all dealers have it.

When the price is agreed upon on the truck...

NEXT

The trade in ( I usually retail mine on the open market to minimize loss but it is not always advantageous.)

If you have one do your diligent some homework first

Shop it on Carvana
If you have a Carmax close go there as well for a value...
You will know the ACV (actual cash value) of the trade that will be at or below what a dealership of like product would give for it...

I am not into padding the numbers to "trade value" as they are fraught with peril for you the customer...

The only thing that matters is the trade difference the actual $ you have to pay out of pocket for the vehicle.

Yes I have heard XYZ did not give the discount but gave me 3k more for my trade, well where did they get it (oh from the discount that they did not give)

When you have agreed to a trade difference between the sale price and the trade in then you can begin paperwork with signatures on both ends (you and the Dealership)

Remember with a trade there are 2 transactions you selling a car to the dealer and the dealer selling you a car...

They are not doing you a favor by taking the old one off your hands, unless you have gotten all of the goodie out of it...:cool:

Now for the PSA

Side note any Car salepeople/managers here that do not like what I post go tell your manager/owner.

I do not have time to hear about how you feel about me sharing! So please no PMS telling me such...

I successfully peddled iron and managed parts of this store for 30+ years...

I realize that is a simplification but the outline is what is important.
Sponsored