Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
  • Banned
Hey All been having issues with the keyfob distance being unreasonably short. Like, within 60 feet not reacting, short.

So does anyone have a diagram or know where the antenna on this thing is installed? Has to be loose or up against something blocking signals cause WOWEE I basically need to stand next to the truck to use the fob.

Bought the VSS system for Remote Start and Prox Alarm+, same issue.

I've got the extended antenna on the way but figure while I'm waiting maybe someone here has an answer on what I can do in the meantime to get a bit more distance out of the existing antenna.
Sponsored

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Could try something simple like replacing the key fob battery. Who knows what quality or age is associated with the one that shipped from Ford. Maybe it is already low.

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
  • Banned
Yeah I thought about that, no luck on any distance increase. Other keyfob is the same so I assumed it's antenna related and why I bought the extended one. $30 not too bad so long as it gives it some reach. Probably have install instructions with it but I like to be prepared beforehand just can't find any details on it, was hoping MTC had some insights.

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
  • Banned
Update 6/23:

So I installed the "ultra-long-range" extended antenna, PN#JS7Z15603A and gained roughly 0 feet of extended distance using the XLT keyfob.

VSS is mounted above the OBD port, just behind the trim panel on the driver's side. Antenna runs through driver A pillar and 3M-attaches to the top line of the windshield, next to the sensor block.

Neither lock/unlock or the VSS-equipped remote start function passed 40-50 feet.

Does anyone know if there's a "primary" antenna factory-mounted somewhere inside the Mav? If I can unplug it or move it around to a better spot maybe I can eke out some footage but the Extended Antenna should override any factory antenna that is still mounted, I'd assumed at least.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
  • Banned
Did you try holding the key to your jaw/skull?! Seriously...

Oh ya man I've tried every trick I know, keyfob to the head is how I got to 50 feet...
next step is carrying around a keyfob-sized aluminum foil "wand" that I stick on the flip out key and fling at the car

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
  • Banned

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey All been having issues with the keyfob distance being unreasonably short. Like, within 60 feet not reacting, short.

So does anyone have a diagram or know where the antenna on this thing is installed? Has to be loose or up against something blocking signals cause WOWEE I basically need to stand next to the truck to use the fob.

Bought the VSS system for Remote Start and Prox Alarm+, same issue.

I've got the extended antenna on the way but figure while I'm waiting maybe someone here has an answer on what I can do in the meantime to get a bit more distance out of the existing antenna.
I have hybrid first edition lariat 369 all that poop. My key fob is usually in my pocket so it works fine. I believe some settings can be changed as how it can work which I have not done. Mine is set to unlock door from three feet away so when I get to maverick I can open the door. The doors on the other side of truck will not work until I get inside the truck because they are too far away while I am outside truck on the other side. My key fob buttons work over 300 feet distance locks, horn, and lights. I have not tried the alarm and do not remember what the 2X with the circle arrow headed button is for. I haven't tried it (am fraidy cat) but there is a square button near the bottom of key fob which has brushed nickel u shaped bottom of key fob. I suspect that square button is to release a physical "valet" key or perhaps to open door if 12v battery is dead? Any one dare to push that button. Could it be to summon a swat team? If so I am afraid to try it.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does the antenna on the roof have anything to do with the fob signal reception. Is the antenna screwed tightly into the shark fin or is it missing?

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does the antenna on the roof have anything to do with the fob signal reception. Is the antenna screwed tightly into the shark fin or is it missing?
I did swap it out for a Stubby Jr but I had keyfob distance issues since I purchased the vehicle. Never heard of a radio antenna working accepting signals from a keyfob but I'm sure stranger things happen - doesn't seem to be the root cause of my distance issues though

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did swap it out for a Stubby Jr but I had keyfob distance issues since I purchased the vehicle. Never heard of a radio antenna working accepting signals from a keyfob but I'm sure stranger things happen - doesn't seem to be the root cause of my distance issues though
Have you reprogrammed your key fobs or added a third key fob that has to be done in specific order, etc?? Maybe yours need reprogramming or are there any settings needed twerking? If it has been issue from beginning put factory antenna back on and go for warranty work.

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
VIA
Ford Key Fob Programming Instructions

Follow these instructions to learn how to program a Ford key fob in Ontario, CA. These instructions will allow you to confidently set out on any journey around Ontario, CA, knowing that your Ford key fob is functioning properly:

1. Close all doors on your vehicle. Proceed to open the driver-side door, where you will press the UNLOCK button
  2. Turn the ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times, within 10 seconds. End on RUN the last time to enter programming mode.
  3. At this point, the door locks will lock and unlock. Note if the door locks do not do this. If they don’t lock and unlock, start over and turn the key faster. Unless the door locks cycle between lock and unlock, you may not have keyless entry.
  4. Within 8 seconds, push any button on your Ford remote to begin programming. The door locks will again cycle, which confirms keyless entry is programmed and ready for use.
  5. If you have a second remote Ford key fob, take that Ford remote and press any button within 8 seconds to begin the door lock cycle. Repeat for any other key fobs you have.
  6. When you have programmed all of your Ford key fobs, turn the ignition to OFF. The door locks will cycle one last time to confirm programming completion.

Ford Intelligent Access Key Programming Instructions

Do you have a Ford Intelligent Access key fob that you need to program? Whether you have a new or a spare Intelligent Access key, follow these instructions:

1. Have your unprogrammed Intelligent Access key in the center console pocket, and keep two previously programmed keys inside the vehicle.
  2. Press the driver and passenger power door unlock control three times.
  3. Push down and release the brake pedal once.
  4. Again, press the driver and passenger power door unlock control three times.
  5. Push down and release the brake pedal once.
  6. At this point, the Start/Stop button indicator should flash quickly, signaling that you’ve entered programming mode.
  7. Within a minute, press the Start/Stop button.
  8. A message will appear on the message center display that the new key was programmed.
  9. Press the unlock key on the newly-programmed Intelligent Access key to exit the programming mode.
  10. Check the new key’s functionality.

I'll try this out once I'm home with the second key. I doubt reprogramming what's already programmed will add distance but it's one step I did not take before pursuing the extended antenna, thanks!

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This may be something uniquely wrong with your truck or fob.

I say that because I was just noticing the other day that my XLT key fob has much greater range than the fob for my previous vehicle. It consistently works at 20-30 yards with no problem.

(That's about how far I usually get from my truck before I forget whether I locked it or not. :sleep:)

OP
OP

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Appreciate the experience I'm trying to avoid the dealer if possible but it's increasingly appearing obvious that I will need to :v

n0maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tiguan, 2022 Maverick, 2013 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
not always ideal but the ford pass app is pretty much infinite range a long as the truck has cell signal and your phone has a data connection of some sort as well. I know, not what you were looking for. My fobs have excellent range. Have worked over 200 feet for remote start
Sponsored